• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    First, let me thank Arlington R&P Club for inviting me over to shoot their steel targets at 15 yards this morning. Much appreciated!

First off, I put 50 rounds of WWB 115g 9mm and 50 rounds of AE 124g 9mm through each gun. For the Sig I used both 10 and 12 round mags, loaded either full or with one fewer round. For the P1 I tried both 7 and 8 rounds in each mag. (I normally load one fewer round than max since some guns have problems with mags crammed full.)

The Sig functioned without a hiccup in all cases, it was actually pretty boring. Trigger, gong, trigger, gong. No malfunctions at any time. Ejection was strong to the right and a little back. Plus a very decent out-of-the-box trigger. I think I need to brighten up the front and rear sights, however. Being cheap, I may use a little glow-in-the-dark nail polish. :) It definitely feels good in my hand, and even better with the pinky rest on the 12 round magazine.

Yes, I did get some of the advertised FP drag, but not much IMHO. I've attached a picture of some of the primer strikes to show what I mean.

Now on to the Walther P1. This is a "thin slide" version, with alloy frame, so no +P or Nato spec ammunition for it. (My other P1 had a steel frame.) Interestingly, the P1 failed the pencil test (which had me a little worried), but functioned just fine at the range. Perhaps it needs a round in the chamber for the FP block to get moved out of the way?

Anyway, the P1 also has a pretty nice trigger, and was also sort of boring, trigger, gong, trigger, gong, etc. I had one failure to eject, quickly cleared. This gun has forceful ejection straight up, so much so that I was pelted by falling brass after hitting the underside of the roof. One case fell between my eyeglasses and cheek, to my chagrin (ahem). The P1 spent brass showed no sign of FP drag, of course.

So, all in all, both guns were boring, which is actually a good thing. Both felt good in my hands, both functioned very well, and I'm still smiling at getting more rounds in the P365 magazines than in the P1.

Next time I'll wear a cap when shooting the P1.

Bryan

Attachments

• p1030037.jpg
      p1030037.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 435
    Jul 1, 2012
    (My other P1 had a steel frame.)

Do you still have it? The only steel-frame post-war I know of were the special runs for the P.38

Interestingly, the P1 failed the pencil test (which had me a little worried), but functioned just fine at the range. Perhaps it needs a round in the chamber for the FP block to get moved out of the way?

The indicator pin shouldn't interfere with the firing pin by design, but the FP spring does loop over the top of it.
    Theoretically it should not affect it at all, unless the FP spring is in backwards maybe? (not sure you can even install it backwards though)

This gun has forceful ejection straight up, so much so that I was pelted by falling brass after hitting the underside of the roof. One case fell between my eyeglasses and cheek, to my chagrin (ahem).

Been there, done that, went down my T-shirt :)

Overall what does this AIM P1 look like?
    Ugly or discreet import marks, finish condition etc?

Jul 1, 2012
    Just tested one of my P1's and it launched a pencil into orbit... well, about two feet vertically anyway.
    It's not a bad idea to install a Wolff Service Pak spring kit, which includes the recoil and hammer springs.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/WALTHER/P-38, P-5, P-5 COMPACT/cID1/mID70/dID306
    The firing pin spring you'll have to buy separately, Numrich, Apex, etc. have them.
    DON'T install the heavy recoil spring kit. It puts more stress on the slide & frame.

I would highly recommend anyone buying a P1 or P38 to shoot - install the spring kit first, it's $17 of cheap insurance.
    A weak set of recoil springs is bad juju.

Also as mentioned in the OP, stick with standard loads, ideally 115gr FMJ **
    They love the Winchester White Box for some reason.
    Rem-UMC OAL is off so typically has issues with feeding.

** Note that the fat slide and hex pin aren't there to make it capable of shooting hot loads.
    Only for durability/longevity improvements.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just tested one of my P1's and it launched a pencil into orbit... well, about two feet vertically anyway.
    It's not a bad idea to install a Wolff Service Pak spring kit, which includes the recoil and hammer springs.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/WALTHER/P-38, P-5, P-5 COMPACT/cID1/mID70/dID306
    The firing pin spring you'll have to buy separately, Numrich, Apex, etc. have them.
    DON'T install the heavy recoil spring kit. It puts more stress on the slide & frame.

I would highly recommend anyone buying a P1 or P38 to shoot - install the spring kit first, it's $17 of cheap insurance.
    A weak set of recoil springs is bad juju.

Also as mentioned in the OP, stick with standard loads, ideally 115gr FMJ **
    They love the Winchester White Box for some reason.
    Rem-UMC OAL is off so typically has issues with feeding.

** Note that the fat slide and hex pin aren't there to make it capable of shooting hot loads.
    Only for durability/longevity improvements.

Interestingly my Glock 17 80% has had feeding issues where it won’t quite go in to battery. Seemed to solve it with 100+ of UMC 115gr feeding perfectly, a box of Remington Golden Sabres and about 200 of Federal aluminum case. Then cracked my first box of Winchester WB 115gr and I had 3 failures to go fully into battery out of 100 rounds.

I just ordered a P1 from AIM. I’ll add my 2 cents once it shows. I’ll probably get it to the range a week from this Thursday.

My Cz50 when I pencil tested it, it dented my ceiling with a mechanical pencil and cracked the eraser holder on it :D

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Do you still have it? The only steel-frame post-war I know of were the special runs for the P.38

Nope, unfortunately it's gone so I'm speaking from memory.

Overall what does this AIM P1 look like?
    Ugly or discreet import marks, finish condition etc?

Mine has a phosphate or parkerized finish all over, even the magazine. I got a spare magazine, and it's got the same finish. Nary a blemish anywhere (except at the back of the firing pin). Now, of course, the finish is blemished from firing it. :)

Discrete import mark on the top of the left vertical side of the slide. I don't remember who the importer is except they're located in Montana. Not CAI.

Bryan

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Supposedly the 9mm Rem-UMC FMJ is shorter overall than the other ammo. YMMV :)

That could be why it runs great now and Winchester WB didn’t. My Glock 17 issue is that the barrel hood to slid fitment was too tight and I needed to do some stoning and polishing. So if WB is “correct” and UMC/Remington isn’t, fractionally shorter cases probably create a hair less drag chanbering is guess (and I’d bet that federal aluminum does as well).

I might need some more wear on the 17 :-(

Bbrown, well now I am really excited about getting my P1! Of course AIM did say they were selling the nicer ones first.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Which trigger do you think would perform better in a stressful, self defense shoot?

IMHO, in such a situation either trigger would work fine, since neither trigger pull is heavy (at least on mine), but as you know, in such a situation there's more to consider than just the trigger pull.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got my AIM P1 out today. Holy buffalo crap Batman, the thing is ridiculously low. Like barely in the paper on a 16” Target at 10yds. If I cant the gun so that the base of the front sight fills the rear sight it is dead even. I think a few companies make replacement P38/1 sights right? My front sight is a good quarter inch or a little taller and the notch on my rear sight is effectively flush with the slide.

Other than that and the fact that it also made it hard to get horizontal accuracy doing that, it seemed to shoot fine. It felt really good in my hand and cycling. JHP 115gr has a fiat number of hang ups, but not surprised. 115gr FMJ magtech ran with no hiccups. I only put about 70 through the gun as I was saving some for my Glock 17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom