• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Any idea what this is? It's a percussion cap fired, but I haven't found any markings on it yet.

Note: for those of you who are not versed in assault weapons, it's the one on the top with the stickie thing. The one on the bottom is a Stevens 12 ga.

IMG_4064s.JPG

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Looks like a cut down military musket that was turned into a hunting shotgun/fowler. Hence the shortened stock and ramrod underneath the barrel.

Looks like a sling attachment point just ahead of the trigger guard. Which would not be present on an original civilian sporting arm.

The fancy scroll/metalwork behind the trigger guard is odd though. More 18th century than 19th century.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't know what it is, but I'm sure the brain trust here will solve the riddle. I'd love to know the answer.

In the meantime I recommend you keep that bad boy assault rifle under lock and key! You never know when it might decide to go nutso on you - being in new surroundings and all... :sarcasm:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Looks like a cut down military musket that was turned into a hunting shotgun/fowler. Hence the shortened stock and ramrod underneath the barrel.

Looks like a sling attachment point just ahead of the trigger guard. Which would not be present on an original civilian sporting arm.

The fancy scroll/metalwork behind the trigger guard is odd though. More 18th century than 19th century.

I agree, "Bubba" has been around a long time.

Is it rifled?

Does the bayonet actually fit?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Looks like you have what used to be a mid 19th century Brunswick Rifle.

You're missing the patch box/inletting in the butt stock though.

This also explains the notch in the top of your barrel ahead of the chamber. Missing rear sight. And those rectangular notches in the stock are for small wedges that secure the stock to the barrel. Your lower barrel band looks like it could have come off of any 18th/19th century military arm. The whole things looks cobbled together. As was mentioned previously.....Bubba.

I present to myself the MDS Sherlock Holmes award of the day.

Brunswick Rifle.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

This also explains the notch in the top of your barrel ahead of the chamber. Missing rear sight. And those rectangular notches in the stock are for small wedges that secure the stock to the barrel. Your lower barrel band looks like it could have come off of any 18th/19th century military arm. The whole things looks cobbled together. As was mentioned previously.....Bubba.

View attachment 216864

Excellent work! :thumbsup: I was looking hard at that rectangular hole thinking it might have been for a wedge (and was coming back to ask if that was a possibility), and poured through my Dixie Gun Works catalog trying to find that trigger guard.

If I could afford 1000 internets, they would be yours, sir!

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I agree, "Bubba" has been around a long time.

Is it rifled?

Does the bayonet actually fit?

Looks like the bayonet might fit, if there were a little less rust.

I think it's rifled, what do you think?

171025_195726.jpg 171025_195736.jpg

View attachment 216864

Looks like you've found it! You wouldn't have a better picture would you? Thank you Mr. Holmes.

Things that make you go Hummmn!

171025_195615.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Have you stuck the ramrod all the way down to see if it reaches the nipple? With old BP muzzle loaders that is one of the first things to check because if there is still a load in the barrel it could be dangerous because black powder can still go off no matter how old.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Have you stuck the ramrod all the way down to see if it reaches the nipple? With old BP muzzle loaders that is one of the first things to check because if there is still a load in the barrel it could be dangerous because black powder can still go off no matter how old.

The first thing I did was make sure there wasn't a cap still on it. Then I checked the bore. The rod goes in as far as the rod is in the picture, so I'm assuming there's something in there and treating it as loaded. My $13 bore camera doesn't show much.

What do you think?

IMG_4075s.JPG

171025_195615.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom