• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Around here will be groundhog, I plan on buying some land in the mountains eventually and would like to go after coyotes.

Just find somewhere to hunt in Hazzard County. We seem to have plenty of coyotes around.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    That is really nice. I am not sure when I would get into sporting rifles for collecting. For now I will stick with military rifles.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Update, got it to the range last week and it was a disaster, the rifle did not group, it patterned. The ammo supplied with the gun was previous owners hand loads which were hot, sticky bolt with bullets seated too deep, 2.40. Did not fire more than 6 rounds.
    Prime example why I usually will not shoot someones else's loads.
    Pulled the bullets on all 100 rounds and salvaged the components, the brass is new Norma brass. Did up some moderate loads 3600 fps with H380 and seated the bullets out to 2.700 versus spec at 2.68.
    Took it back out today and it did much better although the scope was not sharp or clear, kind of fuzzy , finally figured out adjust the eyepiece, backed it way off and got the scope clear.
    Final 5 shoots were all touching at 100 yards, there are 10 shots on target, 5 before scope adjustment and 5 after that made the good group in center. Pretty happy considering old eyes and 6X scope.

Attachments

• IMG_5731.jpg
      IMG_5731.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 118

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Update, got it to the range last week and it was a disaster, the rifle did not group, it patterned. The ammo supplied with the gun was previous owners hand loads which were hot, sticky bolt with bullets seated too deep, 2.40. Did not fire more than 6 rounds.
    Prime example why I usually will not shoot someones else's loads.
    Pulled the bullets on all 100 rounds and salvaged the components, the brass is new Norma brass. Did up some moderate loads 3600 fps with H380 and seated the bullets out to 2.700 versus spec at 2.68.
    Took it back out today and it did much better although the scope was not sharp or clear, kind of fuzzy , finally figured out adjust the eyepiece, backed it way off and got the scope clear.
    Final 5 shoots were all touching at 100 yards, there are 10 shots on target, 5 before scope adjustment and 5 after that made the good group in center. Pretty happy considering old eyes and 6X scope.

Good deal, and glad you worked it out! A great example of what happens with a combination of a classic and quality built older rifle, some proper hand load development, and some mighty fine shooting!

One big grin! Plenty of life left in that old classic rifle! :thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's the way the gun is supposed to shoot. Work up some hand loads and you'll have 1 fuzzy hole after 5 shots.

Congrats on a great rifle.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That was a shooter. Another hero who has left us. His son is just like him. Very unassuming.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

fogman

Nice rifle. Mine is in .22 hornet. Does the 220 swift have a .223 or .224 bore? I've been lurking off and on for a few years on ebay looking for a vintage scope. Finally found a K-10 the other week. Got it mounted and bore sighted this morning. As soon as my doctor clears me to drive after shoulder surgery, I'm heading to the range to finish sighting in. There are a few groundhogs out back that have worn out their welcome.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom