• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I got caught in the wormhole about the 3% antimony which lead (no pun intended) me to the MSP raid of the home of a guy because he had purchased a bunch of ammo from Fred's for guns that the MSP thought he didn't have, and it got me thinking.

Every time I buy powder (which is not often) from Continental, they photocopy my driver's license. I have bought powder in a few other places in MD and no one has ever asked me for ID. I asked the woman at Continental why she copies my ID and she said that the MSP requires it due to the 5 lb limit. I don't really care because I have nothing to hide, but it just got me thinking.

Before I spent hours trying to find the law, regulation or MSP guidance, I thought I'd see if one of you cats has info. Thanks!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'd buy my powder elsewhere.
    I have no link to show but since I buy my powder from a different state and how would the MSP or Fire Marshall even be able to see what I've purchased from another state.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'd buy my powder elsewhere.
    I have no link to show but since I buy my powder from a different state and how would the MSP or Fire Marshall even be able to see what I've purchased from another state.

Well, it's slim pickings around here. CA is about the only place that has a decent selection on a consistent basis. I guess I could travel to the various shows.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Never copied my DL when I bought powder. There is no reg. that I know of requiring that your DL be photo copied. I usually buy online, you are paying the hazmat fee anyway when buying from them, it is just spread out a little because of the quantity they purchase. If you buy more than 3 or 4 lbs at a time, buying online is definitely cheaper.
    The 5lb limit is not an MSP thing, it's a Md. Fire Marshal reg..

Edit: Search shows that the office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal is a part of the State Police.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

So, a 4-page thread with no definitive or official analysis other that what a bunch of people say the law is based on a reading of what Black's Law Dictionary says "possess" and "store" mean. It's not a Fire Marshall requirement. It's a state law.

Public Safety Article, 11-105(d).

(d) Exceptions -- Possession of explosives for use in firearms. --

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

I'm not a gambling man. I wouldn't want to be standing next to my defense attorney trying to argue to a judge that the other 10 pounds "stored" in my house next to my 5 pounds belonged to my wife and son. I note that the prior version of the law prohibited more than 10 pounds in a dwelling. One would need to go back to the legislative history and committee notes to determine whether there was an articulated reason for changing it from dwelling to "store."

I don't really care too much about the 5 lb limit. The point of my question was to ascertain whether there's some legal requirement to hand over my ID for registration.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    The 5lb limit is not an MSP thing, it's a Md. Fire Marshal reg..[/QUOTE]

The 5lbs. limit I presume is for a single, individual home.
    What about Condos/Apartments? The same or different???

OOPS! I believe #12 just answered my question.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

This doesn't say what you think it says. The respondent misquoted what the law says.

f64833f990b7f6f00431337c0148812d.jpg

Nowhere does the law say "5lb storage per place." The most that can be read from this is that the fire Marshall would permit a person to keep 5 lbs at his house and 5 lbs in the back of his car or at his place of employment or at his mom's house, etc. in other words, that the FM has a liberal view of "possess" - that that word really means "possess at any one place." In fact, I think that response buttresses the position that the limit is per place rather than per person in each place.

Like I said, I'm not a gambling man.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Additional search shows that Md. dealers need to record your information. My guess is that photocopying is an expedient in that regard for the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom