• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    This discussion probably applies across the board, but since I collect primarily curio and relic items, I thought I'd post it here. I store my rifles in my safes without their bolts, both to save space and to protect "my wood." Of course, this results in a pile of bolts that I have to sort through every time I want to take something to the range. Has anyone come up with a good way of organizing bolts so that they are easy to find and match?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I only take the bolts out of the ones I hang on my wall in my man room. I have to many rifles to take the bolts out for the ones in my safe.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have bolts in a smaller safe. I oil them and wrap in wax paper then rubber band them.
    I sharpie the name of rifle and sometimes SN if Its something I have multiple of. So if I pick them up, I can see what they are w/o unwrapping them.
    Guns are mostly in gun socks w/ a hole cut on top, I can pop the muzzle through and know what I'm looking at cause I know what the front sights look like. If its a mosin, I may have to pull it out. I could stand to put tags on those socks though.
    I store them based on grouping (axis, allies, cold war,other)
    Small safe is 2 shelves and I can group them in quadrants

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    My safe door has big zippered pouches, plus these elastic loops just for holding bolts. I keep all my Mauser bolts in the elastic loops, then all my Swiss bolts are in ziploc bags labeled, then in the big zippered pouch on the door.

You could also try to find an old filing cabinet somewhere, businesses get rid of them all the time. it is easy to put locks on each drawer, or install loops for a chain or pole to go through vertically and lock all the drawers at once. You could store them in the file cabinet however you want....

I also have my rifles in gun socks but I put tags on all of them so I know what each one is without having to expose it or take it out of the safe.

They get jealous when you take their clothes off just to look, then don't play with em :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom