• ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    seriously!
    I have several double-wall boxes.
    they aren't that hard to find.
    or throw it in a Plano case and get a box from one of the shipping stores.
    but we ain't him (The Shipper) I guess.

+1! Plano cases aren't expensive and can be reused. This is the way to fly.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The rifle finally arrived and it's as nice in person as in the pictures. I have gotten "intimate" with the rifle and can feel no differences in the contour of the surface of the receiver ring. Also, the marks on the receiver rail are uniform and crisp from top to bottom and the receiver is uniform in color and finish - there are no visible or tactile differences between the metal on the rails and the metal on the ring. One would think that grinding off a crest would leave some depression on the ring and/or some flatter or worn edges to these marks. There is some speckling on the top of the ring but that's all it is - these marks are not remnants of any crest.

At the end of the day, I'll never know whether it was made without a crest or the crest was ground off in an extremely surgical manner, but my belief, based of what I see and feel, is that it never had a crest. In any event, it's a beauty.

7e8dff6365f592a0c4711bc59d4cafe9.jpg

b6b59a414eebdcb7604b7f34f478693a.jpg

3ab1861ac7d8447f28de8f06dfa31f58.jpg

f5de78cef1709f021cfa3badbf790e2e.jpg

1a3e909f98c9b8858c9b11d6554828b3.jpg

c909be92c00a7f07ba09157882b7bd3d.jpg

73c8c664997c49b1a0ce6b668c438e1b.jpg

e463ef02853f148473469ea90cefe795.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    By the way the light (glare) is reflecting off the receiver bridge area in the last three pics of the receiver I still hafta' go with scrubbed though a good job of it.

Why one may ask, I don't know.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    By the way the light (glare) is reflecting off the receiver bridge area in the last three pics of the receiver I still hafta' go with scrubbed though a good job of it.

Yeah ... it's a beautiful rifle, but the photos of the area where the crest should be still have me undecided.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

The reflection makes it very difficult to get a feel for this remotely. You really have to see and feel it in person to truly appreciate it. In person, there is absolutely no difference in the contour, color, finish, etc. of the side of the receiver versus the top of the ring. The freckles are tarnish/blemishes and not remnants of a crest. IF this was scrubbed, it is the best job I've ever seen. Besides the look and feel of it, the reason that I believe it never had a crest is that the Argentinians really didn't take their time when they scrubbed crests. Most of them, at least the M1891s, look like someone smacked a grinder on top of the crest for 2 minutes and then moved on to the next one. The really nice ones I've seen look good, but they are show a lot of evidence of grinding. If this one had a crest, whoever removed it was extremely careful and almost performed robotic surgery on it. I just don't see the arsenals taking that much time and care to remove the crest. I'm not saying it didn't have a crest; I'm just saying that the evidence, in person, outweighs a scrub job.

Why it was done is not such a mystery. There are only two possible reasons. The first possibility is that it was made for a different country but never shipped. This one was made toward the end of the 1911 contract. It's possible that Argentina had all it needed and decided to sell some off. The second possibility is that it was scrubbed and intended to be sent for service in the Chaco War but never made it out of Argentina.

We'll never know. It's an interesting piece nonetheless, and truly magnificent. You can see from the stake marks on the screws that this one has never been taken apart, and, because of that, I don't ever intend to do so or remove the cosmolene.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'll hafta' look at my 98/09 argey's again and though all are crested, I'll try to determine if there's any undulations on the receiver bridge in, around, and all about the crest and blank areas. The undulations I'm seeing in yours is what makes us thing it was scrubbed.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'll hafta' look at my 98/09 argey's again and though all are crested, I'll try to determine if there's any undulations on the receiver bridge in, around, and all about the crest and blank areas. The undulations I'm seeing in yours is what makes us thing it was scrubbed.

But that's the thing - there are no undulations. Whatever you're seeing is the effects of pictures. The receiver ring is absolutely uniform.

There have been some interesting comments in Gunboards.

One experienced collector suggested that to create that uniformity, it would have needed to be lathed with an off-center rotation to get the profile that straight for sighting across the top, and then there would be transition lines on each side of the ring from the differing radii.

Another poster theorized that, based on condition and the uniformity of the ring, this could have been intended as a presentation rifle that was never finished. There is some history of these being made with special crests, and some of them were done in Argentina. In those cases, great time and effort would have been taken to remove the crest.

All agree that any scrub job was not the typical Argentine scrub.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    One experienced collector suggested that to create that uniformity, it would have needed to be lathed with an off-center rotation to get the profile that straight for sighting across the top, and then there would be transition lines on each side of the ring from the differing radii.

Another poster theorized that, based on condition and the uniformity of the ring, this could have been intended as a presentation rifle that was never finished. There is some history of these being made with special crests, and some of them were done in Argentina. In those cases, great time and effort would have been taken to remove the crest.

All agree that any scrub job was not the typical Argentine scrub.

In one of your last photos I could see that there appears to be a continuous "grain" from lathe work that the factory roll marks penetrate. I'm more persuaded that it wasn't scrubbed.

The second theory is probably heading in the right direction. It could have, for example, been set aside for one of the university roll marks, but never stamped. I can imagine someone saying, "Hey, Juancho! This one looks too nice. I'm taking it home with me. Don't mark it, OK?"

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    These pictures don't help much but I did measure the thickness of the receiver rings (one end of the calipers inside the chamber and one end on the top of the ring) and they are almost identical: the crested one is 0.357" and the uncrested one is 0.356".
    f817c2b98cae3951fddaf396dbb16c5a.jpg

eb1492a14b57fcee8d04bb9ff3139c7a.jpg

a0ef35abf6831559d7d8eb07513f47d6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom