• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Well, less than 18 hours after I publicly proclaimed that I had made my last C&R purchase of the year, an opportunity presented itself that I couldn't pass on. I've been watching an unissued Argentine Mauser Model 1909 without a crest on the broker for at least 4 auction cycles. This isn't a rifle that had its crest scrubbed - it never had a crest. The seller started with a BIN of $1,250 with a reserve. He got a few bids but nothing close to his reserve. He cycled it at that price and then cycled it at successively lower prices when he relisted. His most recent listing had a BIN of $700 with a start price of $500 (but with a reserve). I suspected that his reserve was $600 but never confirmed that. I collect Argentine Mausers and this is one of the cleanest, prettiest ones I've ever seen, so of course I was interested in it when he first posted it. In an attempt to figure out what the heck it was and how it got the way it was, I sent him an e-mail asking for additional pictures, which he promptly sent. They showed a nice, clean, unissued M1909 and nothing else. So, I turned to Webster's book and some die-hard Mauser collectors in hopes of finding some answers, but no such luck. Over the course of the several auction cycles, the seller and I maintained some correspondence. I helped him with his listing by advising him to add more pictures (his original listing had only one picture), and I gave him some additional thoughts on what I thought it was.

So fast forward to last night . . . I was reviewing my "watched" items on the broker and saw it, so I decided to e-mail him and ask whether the rifle had any import marks or anything odd on the receiver that might help to identify it. We exchanged a few emails in which he told me that he is moving to New York and "can't take it with me." I ended the discussion with "that's a shame". This morning, he sent me an e-mail that said, essentially, I need to offload this thing and if you give me $600, it's yours. That still seemed kind of pricey to me for a rifle with a history that isn't documented and will likely never be discovered. After thinking about it for a while and confirming that everything matched and that there was no import mark, I decided to offer him $550 . . . which he accepted.

This particular rifle is from the last block of rifles made under the last contract (1911) for the M1909. Interestingly, Webster's book shows that the serial numbers of the later rifles made under the 1909 (year) contract overlapped with the serial numbers of the early rifles made under the 1911 contract, which is odd. Aside from having no crest, this rifle does not have the Ricchieri adapter for the M1891 bayonet that would have been installed on a M1909 accepted into Argentine service. However, oddly, the stock and the hand guard have the Argentine acceptance proofs. This one is a real mystery to me, but given all of the foregoing and that Argentina had a history of supplying arms to neighboring countries, my best guess is that this rifle was intended for export but never found its way to its new owner and was ultimately taken back or accepted by the Argentine army, never to be issued or used.

As is, without any history, it probably has zero collector value, and I definitely rolled the dice on this one. I don't know, but something in my gut tells me that I will discover some interesting information one day. Regardless, I think most of us would be hard-pressed to find a modern rifle that matches this one for $550. I haven't decided whether I'll shoot it. It's almost too perfect to do that. Enjoy.

pix041964581.jpg

pix902626054.jpg

Unmarked%209.png

Unmarked%2010.png

pix995498144.jpg

9.jpg

Unmarked%204.png

Rod.jpg

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Man, cut the barrel down, drill and tap for a scope and put a recoil pad on it and that will be a beautiful deer rifle.

Just kidding:D Great find, I would have bought it also.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm assuming you don't have this rifle in your possession yet. By the looks of some potential telltale signs of that receiver ring as per pics, I strongly suspect there was once a crest that has been removed, though nicely done. As far as the auxillary 1891 bayonet lug not being installed, then why is the primary lug drilled for said device??? It looks like there was once something atteched to the primary lug. When you receive that gun, get some really good pics posted of the receiver and meybe we can tell one way or the other if it ever had a crest. By the looks of it now as per the pics posted, it looks ground to me.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm assuming you don't have this rifle in your possession yet. By the looks of some potential telltale signs of that receiver ring as per pics, I strongly suspect there was once a crest that has been removed, though nicely done. As far as the auxillary 1891 bayonet lug not being installed, then why is the primary lug drilled for said device??? It looks like there was once something atteched to the primary lug. When you receive that gun, get some really good pics posted of the receiver and meybe we can tell one way or the other if it ever had a crest. By the looks of it now as per the pics posted, it looks ground to me.

Who knows. I have been over the pictures with some very old and knowledgable Mauser freaks during the last 4 weeks and none of them believes that this ever had a crest. It would make no sense to have ground the crest, as the law requiring the removal of Argentine marks was long gone by the time these were exported. If this were a M1891, that would be a different story.

What, exactly, do you see on the receiver that makes you believe that it has been scrubbed?

Whether or not it ever had a crest, it is a beauty and I'm glad that I was able to snag it for a good price.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Argentina had a long history of secretly supplying small arms to Bolivia and Paraguay, who did not get along. One possible explanation is that Argentina scrubbed the crest before passing this rifle off to one of those countries. But, I find it hard to believe that Argentina would have gone to the effort of scrubbing and polishing the receiver in this manner only to have the rifle remain unissued. I've seen a lot of scrubbed Argentine Mausers, and most look like someone took a dremel to the ring. I have seen some nicely done scrubbed jobs, but nothing like this. Maybe they scrubbed this rifle but then the need to supply the rifle went away. Argentina did order some rifles for Paraguay that had no markings at all other than a serial number and some small inspection marks on the side rail, so there is some history of uncrested rifles. Anything is possible and I will likely never know the answer. I find it impossible to believe that some private party scrubbed the crest from this rifle. That would just defy all logic. Hopefully, I will be able to tell more about the rifle once it is in my hands and I can see and feel the ring in person.

The fact that the Bayo lug has a hole isn't dispositive. Lots of second pattern M1909s exist that do not have the hole for the Riccheri adapter, and first pattern M1909s exist that do have the hole. Things got changes, parts were swapped. Anything is possible.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

I am with Lou on this one. I fully believe it was scrubbed before it was released. You can see the finish where the crest was is discolored most likely from when it was removed.

With that said, if your happy with it, thats all that matters. :thumbsup:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I am with Lou on this one. I fully believe it was scrubbed before it was released. You can see the finish where the crest was is discolored most likely from when it was removed.

With that said, if your happy with it, thats all that matters. :thumbsup:

Hopefully, we will know more when I get the rifle and can see and feel the ring in person. I never trust pictures, as so much depends on lighting, angle, and so many other things. Personally, I don't see any shadow, edges, uneven surfaces, milling marks or other "tell-tale" signs of a scrubbing, but I am (and you and Lou are) basing that off of 2 pictures. Like I said above, I have seen and held a lot of Argentines, both M1891s and M1909s. I don't recall if I have ever seen a M1909 with a scrubbed crest. The law that required the removal of Argentine acceptance marks was repealed by the time the 1909s were being given or sold to neighboring countries, so the only plausible explanations for a scrubbed crest on a M1909 are that Bubba got to it and decided that the crest would scare the deer away or it was scrubbed by Argentina when preparing it for secret export to Paraguay or Bolivia or some other country. The first explanation is just not plausible. No one other than a government would remove a crest on an unissued rifle and leave everything else alone. If you look at the picture of the floor plate above, you will see the assembler's marks on the plate and screw from where me staked/marked the initial positions, and you can see that those haven't moved since 1912. Bubba didn't buy this to scrub and then hang on a wall.

I have been studying these rifles for a long time. Of course I am hoping that this is something more that what it appears to be so of course I am "glass half full" with this, but the fact that this is a P block rifle, without a crest and without the Riccheri adapter, to me, screams third country rifle. I'll probably never know the truth, and I'm okay with that. When I made my offer, I set my price at a point I felt was fair for a rifle that is just an altered milsurp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom