• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Okay, I never saw myself as a revolver guy until I shot my friend's S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman (.357 mag) with a 6" barrel. I truly fell in love with the revolver, particularly because of the trigger and the fact that I was putting rounds in a 2" group at 50 feet. Since then, I've been on the lookout for one that is old enough to be C&R and I finally picked one up through the broker this morning for $500. It's a 5-screw "pre-28" with a 6" barrel made between late 1954 and early 1955. There is some scattered rust on the frame which should clean up nicely with some penetrating oil and brass wool. The grips on this one might have been refinished, but I'm thinking (and hoping) that it's just the flash and crappy pictures. My friend paid almost $1,200 for his, which is in a bit better condition. Either way, I think I did well for a nice shooter, although I admit I know next to nothing about S&W revolvers and what they should and shouldn't look like.

pix249634672.jpg

pix095543351.jpg

pix958146104.jpg

pix021723521.jpg

pix327185387.jpg

pix690809792.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congradulations.

Time to pay a visit to smith-wessonforum. ( Yes, the dash in the name is important.) You can find more information on Highway Patrolmans than you can concieve of.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Good work. Five-screw Smiths are the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas.

I suspect you won't stop at one.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Nice find! I think somebody has replaced the original grips with newer ones. 50's era should have diamond grips.

Not C&R, but here's my relatively-new-to-me 28-2. I always said I wasn't an N-frame guy because my paws are too small, but I love this one. $800 in 95%
    condition, with box, papers, wrapper and tools. You got a good deal on yours, OP, Highway Patrolman prices have doubled in the past few years. Like someone else said, be sure to join the Smith & Wesson Forum and check out the Ultimate Highway Patrolman thread.

My gun came with the original Magna grips, which I find impossible to shoot with. Like with all of my S&Ws, I've replaced them with Kim Ahrends Retro Combat stocks. These are in a wood called Bubinga.

Attachments

• HP 1.jpg
      HP 1.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 376
    • HP 3.jpg
      HP 3.jpg
      80.8 KB · Views: 435

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members