• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I've been searching long and hard for a nice plum colored B barreled M39 without any luck. I typically don't peruse the trader forum on Gunboards but decided to for whatever reason this morning. About half-way down was a listing for a very nice 1942 M91 with a B barrel that was on its 2nd or 3rd bump. It piqued my interest because I recently purchased my first Finned M91 and it's one of my favorite rifles in my collection. The seller originally asked $350 but had lowered his price to $340 shipped or best offer. That price reduction sparked interest, as a few people posted that they were interested and had tried to contact the seller via PM, but his inbox was full. I knew that the rifle was going to sell - I am surprised it didn't go at $350. I don't really "need" a new firearm and God knows I've been spending a lot of money lately, but I knew that this was a good opportunity to buy an uncommon rifle at what I consider to be a good price. Hopefully, I'll get this in my hands early next week. It comes on a 1918 Izhevsk receiver and with a Finnish sling.

DPP_0036_zps35b308ce.jpg

DPP_0043_zps1b7c71c5.jpg

DPP_0042_zps830b3a04.jpg

DPP_0041_zpsab9eb836.jpg

DPP_0039_zpsaea158df.jpg

DPP_0084_zpsbfc9fc4e.jpg

DPP_0048_zps40929e50.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations, good find! Don't think this one could be upgraded. I've always been partial to B barrels and grab them when I can for the right price.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I saw this one and was surprised it didn't sell sooner. The stock is especially nice. It should be a killer shooter.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I believe it sat on the trader for a bit as it's a postwar assembled total refurb. It's a nice ("purdy") rifle that is at the top end of the present market for its type. Most Finn collectors prefer wartime rifles that show plenty of character.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I believe it sat on the trader for a bit as it's a postwar assembled total refurb. It's a nice ("purdy") rifle that is at the top end of the present market for its type. Most Finn collectors prefer wartime rifles that show plenty of character.

Come on h2u... Every single B barrel is a post war build - not a refurb, but a build. I know that you know your Mosins so no disrespect intended, but these rifles will sell for $315 (the price I paid when you factor in shipping) all day long. Yes, lots of Mosin collector's prefer war time rifles, but there is no such thing as a war time B barrel and there certainly is a robust market for them. I have been watching these for a long time, and $315 is not at the top end of the price point. I suspect it sat because of the buggered screw at the front barrel band, which I can easily fix or replace.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Are the B (Belgian?) Barrels any better than the other Finn made Tikka or Sako barrels?

Not to my knowledge. They are just kind of a novelty, and few of them were made. Plus, they tend to be in very good condition because every single B barrel rifle was assembled after WW2. Finland purchased/acquired a bunch of barrels from Belgium (I want to say 18,000) as part of financial/war support during WW2 for use in the manufacture of M91s but never used them. After the war, the Finns used them to make M91s and also cut some down to make M39s. The most desirable ones seem to be those that are plum red in color.

See here: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn-Mosin-Nagant-M91.asp

"WW2 M91 Production:

When the Soviet Union invaded Finland in 1939 starting the Winter War, the Finns had just started production of the M39 Service Rifle. The M39 was to be the new standard issue rifle to both the Finnish Army and to Civil Guard units replacing the older mixed models that were in service. The invasion stalled this production and the Finns started to manufacture the M91 yet again in 1940. This was done as it is much easier to produce a known and proven model under adverse conditions than to undergo new production of an "untested" model with all the start up problems that would be associated with it. The M91 had served Finland well in the past and it was about to serve yet again, meeting the USSR who was Finland's greatest threat.

The new M91 barrels were manufactured at VKT from 1940-1942 and Tikka from 1940-1943, when the production of the M39 and M91/30 made this production no longer necessary. The total production of barrels was in the 77,000 range. There are also certain M91 barrels that have a B proof where normally the manufactures proof would be found. This B marking has been debated time and time again but it is clear the B signifies a barrel blank from Belgium. It is assumed these blanks were made into barrels at VKT and some rare examples have VKT proofs as well as the B marking. Belgium supplied at least 13,000 of these blanks as Winter War aid and all were supposed to be for the M91 rifle; however, the Finns did use a number of these blanks for the M39 service rifle. The exact number of these B barrels that were made into M39's is not clear and the serial numbers also run in the same range as the M91. All of the B's were assembled post war regardless of whether they are M91's or M39's. It is known that 5,000 Tikka M39's were produced post war from M91 rifles but the number of B barrels has never been shown (to my knowledge at least). Both the M39's and the M91's have 1942 dates but that does not mean they were assembled in 1942. Whatever the final numbers may be the B barreled M39's and M91's are highly prized as collector's items."

Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Come on h2u... Every single B barrel is a post war build - not a refurb, but a build. I know that you know your Mosins so no disrespect intended, but these rifles will sell for $315 (the price I paid when you factor in shipping) all day long. Yes, lots of Mosin collector's prefer war time rifles, but there is no such thing as a war time B barrel and there certainly is a robust market for them. I have been watching these for a long time, and $315 is not at the top end of the price point. I suspect it sat because of the buggered screw at the front barrel band, which I can easily fix or replace.

No disrespect taken :thumbsup:
    Yes-all are post war builds. I just throw those in as refurbs as everything has been gone over and repaired/replaced/reblued. Barrels and stocks may be new, rest of parts were, "fixed up" in one way or another.
    I've definitely seen people buy those B barrels for what you paid, but I also see many go for less. I also buy Tikka and VKT M91s with real war history - all of the time - for under $300 (just received one this week-paid $260 shipped). This is why I say top market prices. But we can easily be searching totally different places and come up with different market prices-so I'll say top of the market that I'm watching ;)

No offense toward your purchase meant and never said you paid too much.
    I was expressing my opinion on why I think it sat at that price for awhile.

I will freely admit-I own a VKT/B/Leige that looks just as new as yours (and just as post-war built :D). Search back far enough and I bet you can find my thread on MDS about it.

Congrats again on a nice rifle!

ETA- Found thread on VKT/B/Leige
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52513

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Some of us have better luck finding "deals and steals" than others . . . .:D

Personally, I think those people who waffled on it are suckas.

No disrespect taken :thumbsup:
    Yes-all are post war builds. I just throw those in as refurbs as everything has been gone over and repaired/replaced/reblued. Barrels and stocks may be new, rest of parts were, "fixed up" in one way or another.
    I've definitely seen people buy those B barrels for what you paid, but I also see many go for less. I also buy Tikka and VKT M91s with real war history - all of the time - for under $300 (just received one this week-paid $260 shipped). This is why I say top market prices. But we can easily be searching totally different places and come up with different market prices-so I'll say top of the market that I'm watching ;)

No offense toward your purchase meant and never said you paid too much.
    I was expressing my opinion on why I think it sat at that price for awhile.

I will freely admit-I own a VKT/B/Leige that looks just as new as yours (and just as post-war built :D). Search back far enough and I bet you can find my thread on MDS about it.

Congrats again on a nice rifle!

ETA- Found thread on VKT/B/Leige
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52513

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I got this on Monday. It's gorgeous. Much nicer than the pictures show. The rifle has barely been used, if at all. A prior owner didn't know how to work the hand guard retaining bands and sheered off the end of the screw on the forward band, but I found a set from a seller in Finland so that will be fixed shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom