• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Same priming compound, but distributed around the inside of the rim. And some powder.

One reason that some cheap ammo my not fire, but you rechamber it, it fires. The priming compound it not evenly distributed. So you hit a spot without any, rechamber and hit a spot WITh priming compound.

And also, rimfire bullets are lead. :)

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Same priming compound, but distributed around the inside of the rim. And some powder.

One reason that some cheap ammo my not fire, but you rechamber it, it fires. The priming compound it not evenly distributed. So you hit a spot without any, rechamber and hit a spot WITh priming compound.

And also, rimfire bullets are lead. :)

Yup - I actually knew that about the priming compound but had forgotten it.
    As much as I like the idea of plinking in the home it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    As an aside, a layer of wax about 3/8" to 1/2" thick in a pan and primed cases. Push each case into the wax to 'cookie cutter' a bullet into it. Wa- laa, primer powered ammo.

I saw a video of Bill Jordan using wax bullets, he would draw and shoot from the hip. His target was Bayer asprin tablets about 6 feet away. He did not miss.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Rubber bullets

I have used the X Ring( http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...lets-38-caliber-357-to-358-diameter-box-of-50 ) bullets from Midway. They recommend an enlarged primer hole to prevent primer set back, so the brass will be dedicated and segregated once you enlarge the hole.
    As noted above, the rounds function best with a revolver although I did hand cycle some with my 9mm auto.
    I was surprised at how hot these primer only bullets can be. I had a box made of 1/4 plywood in front of which I hung an old pressed fiber blanket. Quite a few of the rounds went through the blanket and IIRC a couple may have gone through the 1/4" plywood.
    The report is pretty quiet, I used them on a screened in porch away from the neighbors.
    Having done that, I am also of the opinion that for auto practice, a quality air soft pistol would probably work out better. I like the saltine idea too.
    Those bouncing plastic BBs have some energy also, so PPE is recommended.
    DocAitch

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have used the X Ring(http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...lets-38-caliber-357-to-358-diameter-box-of-50 ) bullets from Midway. They recommend an enlarged primer hole to prevent primer set back, so the brass will be dedicated and segregated once you enlarge the hole.

Doc, why would there be primer set back? I've had primers back out of some hot rifle hand loads, but pushing a plastic bullet with no powder wouldn't be a pressure phenomenon.

Thinking out loud
    1) The brass, in a revolver would not move back so the primer does?
    2) Hot loads in rifles can also produce flattened primers. I thought I knew that extruded primers meant the primer pocket was expanding. Is that how it happens?

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    When a fully loaded round is fired, two "explosions " occur within a brief period.
    The primer sets back when it is fired. This is because the primer hole is deliberately as small as consistent with good powder ignition balanced against the retention of maximum case head strength.
    Then the ignition of the powder against the seated metallic projectile causes the entire case to set back so that the primer is reseated against the bolt/breach face.
    If there is no powder/metallic bullet, the second step does not happen and the primer remains set back.
    With the enlarged primer hole (there is no need for the maximum case head strength), there is less resistance to the primer pressure wave, and the initial set back does not occur.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they are just discolored, and smooth, no.

If not smooth, or in bad shape, you can tumble them in a VIBRATORY tumbler.

And as long as they are not so bad as to possibly reduce the strength of the case. Only thing this way I know of, is the problem with some battle packs of ammo, that acid in the paper caused a pink corrosion of the cases. In some cases, the pink corrosion has eaten through the brass entirely.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    For serious precision practice at home I use good pmeumatic/CO2 airguns in the basement. In the woods to do cracker drills for speed.

Thought about that but got frustrated shopping. Do you have a recommend on a blowback, CO2 witha a realistic trigger?

EODshooter

Feb 25, 2013
    Severna Park
    If they are just discolored, and smooth, no.

If not smooth, or in bad shape, you can tumble them in a VIBRATORY tumbler.

And as long as they are not so bad as to possibly reduce the strength of the case. Only thing this way I know of, is the problem with some battle packs of ammo, that acid in the paper caused a pink corrosion of the cases. In some cases, the pink corrosion has eaten through the brass entirely.

Sorry, i meant to post that they are full up casing, 5.56, .270, .45

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As a rule the airsofts are replica guns and it stops there. I use a Black Op 1911 with a reciprocating slide. Trigger is so-so. I've had to repair it twice and extra mags are pricey. I did modify the grip safety because the trigger mechanism tends to push back on it during the trigger pull. But still, its worth it. 22LR used to be a large part of my competitive practice ammo but the low life scalpers see to it that doesn't happen now. Plus when I can't get to the range and even when I walk the dog in the woods I can use and practice with the airsoft. Not perfect but usable.

One thing about CO2 is it cools very fast when shooting fast due to the change of state of the CO2. So while my mags hold 17 to 22 bb's, I rotate them between strings of fire so they can warm up, otherwise the exhaust valve freezes up dumps the whole CO2 cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom