• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    One of my kids will be moving from Maryland to Arlington in a few weeks as part of starting a new job in VA. What are the requirements for proving VA residency for the purpose of purchasing a handgun for personal protection? I'm also encouraging her to get some professional training with it.

When should she apply for a VA drivers license and get VA plates?

TIA.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    You need to register car within 30 days, and everything else within 90 days of moving. By law, but we didnt.

It is best to do your safety inspection while you still have MD plates in case something is wrong. And then go do everything else once passed
    When we changed we showed an electric bill and a copy of my pay stub to show residency. When you change to a VA license they void your MD one with a punch out and give you a piece of paper, then mail you your VA license.
    Big thing is to make sure you have everything before going t the DMV, the process isn't hard, but they do need everything. It is streamlined here, one person does everything at the counter for you so only 1 line to wait in
    You cannot purchase a firearm for 30 days after changing your license to VA as well

Start here
    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#titling.html

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    She can take a training class though and apply for her CHP right away. Virginia has no time restrictions on how long someone needs to be a resident for the CHP. The day she signs a rental agreement or lease, she qualifies as a resident for the CHP.

We'll be happy to help her with whatever training she needs.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    She can take a training class though and apply for her CHP right away. Virginia has no time restrictions on how long someone needs to be a resident for the CHP. The day she signs a rental agreement or lease, she qualifies as a resident for the CHP.

Jim

Have her do this, as Arlington is one of those counties that take the maximum time to get the permit back to you.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Jim

I got my VA driver's license 2 days after I moved in, as Jim said with a signed lease as proof of residency.

It is important to know that you must have a valid license for 30 days in order to purchase a firearm in VA.

I applied for my CHP as soon as I had my driver's license, before being eligible to purchase a firearm with no issues.

Have her do this, as Arlington is one of those counties that take the maximum time to get the permit back to you.

If they're like Fairfax County, they will stretch it out. I got my permit right around that 45 day mark. Hell of a lot better than MD, :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Jim

Any clue what the process is for switching from a VA non-res to a VA res CHP? My wife and I both have non-res and are moving cause of my work relocating.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Any clue what the process is for switching from a VA non-res to a VA res CHP? My wife and I both have non-res and are moving cause of my work relocating.

When you move, just go to your local circuit court clerk's office with a copy of your training documentation and/or non res CHP....

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    When you move, just go to your local circuit court clerk's office with a copy of your training documentation and/or non res CHP....

Poop, I was afraid of that. For non-res when you get a change of address you just notify them by mail or email and they send you a change of address card, I was hoping it'd be that easy, just let them know and they can mail it to my new address.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Poop, I was afraid of that. For non-res when you get a change of address you just notify them by mail or email and they send you a change of address card, I was hoping it'd be that easy, just let them know and they can mail it to my new address.

Nope, because now as a Va. resident, you have to do as the Romans do...and you'll probably have to wait the 45 days, too.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Ugh, well that rules out fairfax county for sure as a moving destination. I guess our only hope is they move faster since we have non-res ones already

Contact VSP. My understanding is they will issue a change of address card to a VA address. At renewal you will need to get a new CHP through the local circuit court.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Contact VSP. My understanding is they will issue a change of address card to a VA address. At renewal you will need to get a new CHP through the local circuit court.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Once we move I will give them a call or stop in to a station. I already tried emailing them with no response.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Once we move I will give them a call or stop in to a station. I already tried emailing them with no response.

Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.

Your permit remains valid until expiration and you are not "required" to change the address. The change of address card may or may not qualify you as a VA resident for reciprocity purposes when traveling in other states. You should call each state you travel to ahead of time to make sure you are covered as the permit will still read non-resident even though you have a VA address on the change of address card. If you are really worried about reciprocity I would apply for the resident permit asap but the non-resident one will be valid in VA until expiration even if you do not change the address.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.

Your permit remains valid until expiration and you are not "required" to change the address. The change of address card may or may not qualify you as a VA resident for reciprocity purposes when traveling in other states. You should call each state you travel to ahead of time to make sure you are covered as the permit will still read non-resident even though you have a VA address on the change of address card. If you are really worried about reciprocity I would apply for the resident permit asap but the non-resident one will be valid in VA until expiration even if you do not change the address.

Yeah, that's who I emailed with no response asking about this.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Yeah, that's who I emailed with no response asking about this.

I don't believe the email address is set up to answer questions. If you already have the new address simply submit everything they are asking for exactly as asked for in the email and you should get the address change card in the mail.

FROM VSP FAQ's:

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.06, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm.

You could also mail it or call:

Administrative Headquarters

VSP, Administrative Headquarters Physical address:

7700 Midlothian Turnpike
    North Chesterfield, VA 23235

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 27472 Richmond, VA 23261
    Phone: (804) 674-2000

Fax: (804) 674-2936

Most importantly as noted in the bold section above you don't have to do anything at all until renewal and your non-resident permit will remain valid.

Last edited:

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

Jim

Will VA accept the posession of a non-resident permit as proof of training for a resident permit?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Will VA accept the posession of a non-resident permit as proof of training for a resident permit?

It appears you will still have to provide some proof of competency unless the non-resident permit you describe is a VA non-resident permit (see bolded below). The old MD online course worked but is no longer available. the DC Police (MPD) has a similar free online 30 minute course that qualifies.

Documentation of Proof of Handgun Competency - Section 18.2-308.02

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
    Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    It appears you will still have to provide some proof of competency unless the non-resident permit you describe is a VA non-resident permit (see bolded below).

Looks like I have that covered, mine is a VA Non-Resident permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom