• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    Just set up the Ruger American 18” SS target. Put a Leupold 3-9x40 Rimfire on top and finished it up with the Timney trigger set to 2lb. A little rough with the bolt at first but smooth after 200 rounds.
    Got 5¢ size groups with CCI standard and Blazer at 50 yds.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For just screwing around, get whatever's cheapest.

For NRL22, I'd kinda like to try out a RPRimfire and a Bushnell Match Pro combo.

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a CZ 452 my son has a Savage mark ii with accu trigger, i prefer the Savage.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I decided on a t1x. Swapped the stock to a b& c adjustable and threw a can on it. I an consistently hit a 3" target at 150 yds off a ladder. I feel there are lots of great 22 bolt options right now.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I have(or had ) Winchester, Anschutz, Remington, CZ and Ruger in .22LR. Annies are top of the line for competition, but the CZ shot almost as well for much less money. My money would go for a CZ, some trigger work, maybe bedding. Then match the rifle with qualitiy .22 LR ammo and you will be competitive with any rifle. If you don't feel competitive, just match the CZ up with the right ammo and have a great time with an accurate gun.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    all depends on your budget. i'm really good at spending other peoples money so i would say get a Vudoo V22. if spending > 2k on a rimfire isn't your thing, you can't go wrong with a Tikka t1z or a CZ 457.

Personally, I have a 457 in the Manners stock and LOVE it. If you go 457, they seem to favor the SK flavors of ammo. The T1X seems to favor Eley.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the CZ-455 in Manners stock.

But put a Timney trigger in it. And Lilja barrel on it (Sniper's Hide group buy). I am happy with it. :D

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    in .22LR I have a CZ 455, Savage B22, 2 Ruger Americans (18" Compact and a 22" both with the longer stock insert and higher comb) and a Browning T-Bolt.

I find myself using the Compact Ruger American more than any of them. I have Nikon Rimfire 4-12x40 scopes on all of them.
    All are pretty much the same accuracy (limited by me I am sure) @50 to 75 yards, Nickle to Quarter sized when I am doing good.
    Least favorite would be the Savage B22, cant quite put my finger on why, but just not that happy with it.

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    I recommend the new CZ 457. It has a very nice trigger. Switch barrel system with interchangeable barrels with CZ455 in both standard and varmint profiles, multiple rimfire calibers, lengths, and finishes. You can switch bolt knobs as the 457 is factory threaded. You can add a picatinny rail if you do not like the 11mm dovetail rail. Mine came with a excellent wooden stock and currently rides an MDT chassis with Zeiss Conquest. Superior accuracy. I've seen new prices at $387. I consider this one of the best rifle values for quality, fit, and finish on the market today.

Attachments

• CZ.jpg
      CZ.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 340

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I recommend the new CZ 457. It has a very nice trigger. Switch barrel system with interchangeable barrels with CZ455 in both standard and varmint profiles, multiple rimfire calibers, lengths, and finishes. You can switch bolt knobs as the 457 is factory threaded. You can add a picatinny rail if you do not like the 11mm dovetail rail. Mine came with a excellent wooden stock and currently rides an MDT chassis with Zeiss Conquest. Superior accuracy. I've seen new prices at $387. I consider this one of the best rifle values for quality, fit, and finish on the market today.
    How do you like the MDT chassis for your 457?

I'm thinking about buying the 457 with your chassis or MPA's https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-cz-455-457-chassis/

MDT is cheaper, but the MPA is a side folder and looks sick.

Can't really tell which one is lighter with grip and stock factored in.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Another option is one of the vintage 22 target rifles that were produced by Winchester and Remington, if in good condition they can match or exceed the accuracy of most rifles made today. They can be expensive but bargains can be found.

Attachments

• IMG_6693.jpg
      IMG_6693.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 386

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Another option is one of the vintage 22 target rifles that were produced by Winchester and Remington, if in good condition they can match or exceed the accuracy of most rifles made today. They can be expensive but bargains can be found.

Darn right!
    I picked up a vintage Marlin Model 81 last year. Tube fed bolt action 22lr from somewhere between the 1930's- mid 1940's in good shape from a member on this forum. Although many of these came with rear peep sights, this one simply has the standard dovetail rear blade. It is still an amazing shooter. I bought it as a training rifle to teach my Grand Daughter gun safety. From a bench rest I am able to put a 5 round group just outside of a nickel at 50 yds, and remember, that's with ME shooting. A more seasoned shooter could improve on those groups, I'm sure. Still looking for a original peep sight for it, but it looks like that will cost more $$ than the rifle.
    There's nothing like vintage wood and steel. :party29:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Augie,

Through dumb luck, back in the early 2000s I got involved with the CMP at the time when they were selling off the military's collection of smallbore target rifles. But the greatest luck was getting one of the Winchester 52C target rifles that the CMP had acquired from one of the Army marksmanship teams. With the Micromotion trigger, it's an amazingly accurate rifle. Others that I picked up at the time included a pair of Remington 513Ts and another pair of Mossberg 144 LSBs, as well as a H&R M12 much like yours.

JoeR

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I have the Ruger American Rimfire and I have been very pleased with it. Groups are tight. Plus it takes 10/22 mags and everyone has a bunch of those laying around.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Yes sir, was waiting for some one to say that.
    Old Win 52 target, Remington 40X, Kimber 82 Government
    can be expensive in todays dollars.

Have a T-bolt also old Belgium made "left hand version" grade 3
    great shooter, accurate, like it just pull the bolt back then forward, great
    trigger, had a old Weaver scope on it

-Rock

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    With this thread as the impetus, a buddy and I met for an informal smallbore target shoot last night before our club's monthly meeting. For my part, I took out my Winchester 52C equipped with Redfield International sights along with my target-scoped 10-22. Even with my bad eyes, I was amazed at how accurate the Winchester is with match ammo. It's been too long since I spent time at the smallbore range....loved it!

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom