• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had opened a bank account for my trust to fund it but now I'm wondering if I still need it. The trust has an asset now, so is it funded by the asset or do I need to maintain the account?

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    FWIW, I've never had a bank account for my trust. I personally funded my trust in the beginning with a $10 bill. I've paid for everything with a personal check and never had an issue. I don't see where that would be any different from using my personal money to fund the account initially. Further, there was not one word regarding a bank account being required in any of the instructions or conversations with the attorney who drew up the trust to begin with.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    FWIW, I've never had a bank account for my trust. I personally funded my trust in the beginning with a $10 bill. I've paid for everything with a personal check and never had an issue. I don't see where that would be any different from using my personal money to fund the account initially. Further, there was not one word regarding a bank account being required in any of the instructions or conversations with the attorney who drew up the trust to begin with.
    Same here.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No need anymore. Most guys just throw $20 in a safe and list that as an asset for the trust on their first transaction. It has never presented a problem.

99% of our NFA customers pay us the ATF fee and we just send a company check with the submission.

No problem ever with that through hundreds of transactions.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    No need anymore. Most guys just throw $20 in a safe and list that as an asset for the trust on their first transaction. It has never presented a problem.

99% of our NFA customers pay us the ATF fee and we just send a company check with the submission.

No problem ever with that through hundreds of transactions.

This, through and through.

I initially funded my trust with a $1 bill. My form 4 suppressor purchase I paid for with a personal CC to the shop I bought from, and they cut the check to the ATF for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some NFA attorneys suggest a trust checking account and to pay all NFA fees (ATF fee and paying for the NFA items) from that account.

Up to you.

M&T gave our trust a free checking account. So not reason to not use it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    So much conflicting info I opened an account at M&T just to be safe. Keep a $500 balance so no fees. I look at it as kind of a back up savings account.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't have one either. My attorney said no need. I also pay the ATF with my own check. That way I can see when it was cashed and know it is in process.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have a trust account, you can still see when the check is cashed.

I don't think any one has said it is NEEDED. Some attorneies feel is helps maintain the distance between the trust and the trustees.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you have a trust account, you can still see when the check is cashed.

I don't think any one has said it is NEEDED. Some attorneies feel is helps maintain the distance between the trust and the trustees.

I don't see how. My bank required all trustees names on the account.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I don't see how. My bank required all trustees names on the account.

Not distance in terms of hiding anything, rather, with regard drawing a line between whose assets are covering costs. For all practical purposes, a legal fiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom