• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I stumbled upon one of these in the wild today but can find almost no information about it. It looks identical to the bottom rifle pictured here except that it has grasping grooves on the stock and it has a (maybe two?) sling swivel around the barrel in front of the fore end of the stock and one at the underside butt of the stock. Sling swivels look crudely made but original/old.

f1.jpg

The bolt is kind of delicate and intricate looking. A skinny, turned down bolt handle with a ball on the end with decorative circles around it. The top of the receiver is stamped J over (large) G over A, all in a circle. The top of the barrel is stamped, "Original J.G.A. Karabiner". The side rail is marked, in addition to the crown proof marks, "Cal. 6 m/m Flob." The S/N is in the 440,000s.

Does anyone know anything about these? Thanks!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I have one (not just like that, but same genre). They are also referred to sometimes as parlor guns. They shoot essentially the original cb cap and ball cap 22 round (not to be confused with what some ammo companies call cb short 22 rounds). RWS still makes them and the last time I ordered them I had to get them from CTD. Mine is a bit fancier. I thought they would be ultra quiet, but was surprised at how loud they were. I'll try to post a pic later, but google flobert parlor rifles and you'll get some info. Never seen one before that actually had a s/n... they usually never bothered. I think most were late 1800s in general.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Didn't realize they imported them into the 50s, but I'm not surprised. Here is a quick picture of mine and some rounds (both Conical Ball and Ball Cap). Mine is a little fancier... metal butt plate, fancy trigger guard, hex barrel, ect. Its missing the rear sight which some day I will find or make but hey, I only paid $30 for it so I can't complain.

Attachments

• 100_0656.jpg
      100_0656.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 1,466
    • 100_0657.jpg
      100_0657.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 1,649
    • 100_0658.jpg
      100_0658.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 2,067

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The 6 mm Flobert round is kinda cool. Some of the bullets are solid, and some used to be made of pressed lead powder, so you could shoot them in the parlor (ergo, "parlor gun") with a target and small trap. The compressed bullet would powder on impact, thereby being safe to shoot indoors ... if you don't count all the lead dust that your family breathed in. If you wonder why Great Uncle Ed was a little funny, that could explain it.

I've got a very basic model of Flobert parlor rifle. (The Plain Jane version of Casual Observer's) It used to sell for $2 in the Sears catalog, and was advertised in magazines like Boy's Life. There's no bolt. You pull back the hammer, load a round, and the falling hammer (in theory) holds the casing from blowing back into your eye. I don't know if it's by accident, or design, but my cases blow back enough that you can pull them out of the chamber, but the hammer still holds them in.

Ammo can be found for them, but it's pricey. But, at the rate I shoot mine, one canister of 50 rounds will last about 25 years.

You can put an eye out with those, kids!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    If it's at a gun store, offer them $75 for it, and mention that the ammo is now scarce and expensive. They probably paid under $50 for that one (I'm thinking around $25). If they'll come down to that, it might be worth having for S&G. Otherwise, probably not. For around $125 you can get a new Cricket .22 LR that's far more practical. The Flobert rifle has some curio value, but unless it's a model with more personality than that one, there's not much collectible value.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have a single shot bolt action one as well, fun, neat little rifle. I'll have to go dig mine out of the safe and take pictures of it. I shoot CCI CB caps out of mine. Do you know if it had rifling in the barrel? i'll have to check because I believe mine is a smoothbore, but it was still a pretty accurate little gun, for what it is.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I have a single shot bolt action one as well, fun, neat little rifle. I'll have to go dig mine out of the safe and take pictures of it. I shoot CCI CB caps out of mine. Do you know if it had rifling in the barrel? i'll have to check because I believe mine is a smoothbore, but it was still a pretty accurate little gun, for what it is.

The 6 m/m Flobert is a round meant for a rifle so I believe this had to be rifled although I couldn't look down the bore due to trigger lock. They did make this in a smoothbore, which was meant to use the shotshells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom