• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Fortunately, I already own the correct unBubba-Ed grips for this 66, courtesy of another member here who put up an absolutely pristine pair on the classifieds here awhile back.

But we can take a vote..... who thinks the turquoise grips should stay?

:shocking:

Lose them ugly mother ****ers and PRONTO.:puke:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Fortunately, I already own the correct unBubba-Ed grips for this 66, courtesy of another member here who put up an absolutely pristine pair on the classifieds here awhile back.

But we can take a vote..... who thinks the turquoise grips should stay?

Dump the turquoise!
    Yuck!

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Recessed cylinders, and pinned barrel, both of which were discontinued back in 1982.

I'm not a revolver collecter (yet, anyway) but curious about those features. I have a K frame with a pinned barrel but the cylinder is not recessed. Don't have it handy at the moment but I believe it's a 10-6. Would the pinned barrel alone mean it was produced in 1982 or earlier?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Not a C&R, but it is my first revolver.

Attachments

• SDC12663.jpg
      SDC12663.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 64

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    My latest pick-up-- a "no dash" Smith & Wesson model 66 in .357 with pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, hammernose and STAINLESS STEEL rear sight blade. For folks not familiar with it, "no dash" means it was the first generation of the model. Later model changes came out as 66–1, 66–2, etc.

The K-frame model 66 was discontinued in 2005, then was re-issued as a "classic" last year--but with the Hillary Hole internal lock, yuck. It was a popular service weapon because it handles .357, but without the L frame weight of a 686.

It is that Stainless Steel rear sight on my revolver that makes this highly collectible because this SS sight was only put on the model 66 during part of the first year of production. Shooters complained that the light color of stainless steel caused glare so Smith & Wesson switched to the blued rear sight blade. However, the short run of Model 66 No Dash with SS sights in 1974 boosted its collector value.

Below you can see why it sat on a consignment shelf in Montgomery county for more than a week even though the price tag was only $450--and with the box. Small turquoise stones have been roughly glued into the channel around the checkering. My assumption it was that it was done in the 70s by the original owner who probably lived in the Southwest region of the US where turquoise is very popular for belt buckles, keychains, cufflinks etc.

Biggfoot44 agrees with my turquoise guess about an Arizona or New Mexico original owner, but he expands the region that the owner might have also lived to Montana and the Rockies region.

It is a pretty good guess that I am only the second owner because this gun and a number of others were inherited by somebody who lives in Montgomery county and had no use for them and put them up for sale. The only thing Moco is good for is as a repository of firearm heirs ("eeewww, a gun!") who know nothing about them.
    Those grips might be a little fugly, but the gun is beautiful!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I'm not a revolver collecter (yet, anyway) but curious about those features. I have a K frame with a pinned barrel but the cylinder is not recessed. Don't have it handy at the moment but I believe it's a 10-6. Would the pinned barrel alone mean it was produced in 1982 or earlier?

S&W phased out pinned barrels and recessed cylinders at different times for different models with the recessed cylinders disappearing first, and the pinned barrels phased out the same year or even many years later.

Your Model 10-6 could have been produced as early as 1962 and as late as 1977. Here's a rough breakdown based on the alphabet letter at the start of your serial number for a Model 10.

C (1948-1967)
    D (1968-1977)

You can often find out the year your 10-6 was made by googling "Smith and Wesson model 10-6 manufacture date" and browsing the discussion boards for someone posting a serial number code close to yours. Most of these google hits will take you to the Smith & Wesson forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom