• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It had been 2 years 8 months 6 days since I had applied until I got my final denial.
    Funny thing about it is that if I had been issued a permit when I first applied I'd be looking to renew about now.
    And thanks for all the condolences, I'm looking forward to a much easier process in the not so distant future.

Finally moving to West Virginia.:innocent0

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I got my denial of an appeal today. Typically, when the case came up for appeal they said I could appear but couldn't say anything so I didn't bother, and fully expected I'd be denied.

But I did have a decent case, with documented police reports, threats, etc. The critical part of the denial letter said "The Board has based its decision on the act that no documentation was provided showing any harassment or threats occurred away from your home. You are aware that you may legally possess a firearm on your property"

This is technically true since I was at home (or my wife was) whenever a threat or harassment occurred, usually by phone, but a couple times with them on the property outside, and once me having to go outside and chase them away. And of course, their reasoning is bogus, since the persons doing the threats/harassment would very likely pursue an actual attack away from my home, since it was known to them I owned firearms.

I'm curious whether I got a standard form letter, or whether they really danced around my "good and substantial" with their assertion that I didn't need one because I never received a threat off the property. If so, it might be something for advocates to book and look for in future cases. Also, the fact that they reasserted my right to possess (and by implication use) a firearm on my property in self-defense might be significant.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The really annoying and ridiculous part is that they rely almost solely on REACTIVE conditions. I'm other words, once you've almost been killed or raped, you're probably good to go. Till then, holding pattern.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I got my denial of an appeal today. Typically, when the case came up for appeal they said I could appear but couldn't say anything so I didn't bother, and fully expected I'd be denied.

But I did have a decent case, with documented police reports, threats, etc. The critical part of the denial letter said "The Board has based its decision on the act that no documentation was provided showing any harassment or threats occurred away from your home. You are aware that you may legally possess a firearm on your property"

This is technically true since I was at home (or my wife was) whenever a threat or harassment occurred, usually by phone, but a couple times with them on the property outside, and once me having to go outside and chase them away. And of course, their reasoning is bogus, since the persons doing the threats/harassment would very likely pursue an actual attack away from my home, since it was known to them I owned firearms.

I'm curious whether I got a standard form letter, or whether they really danced around my "good and substantial" with their assertion that I didn't need one because I never received a threat off the property. If so, it might be something for advocates to book and look for in future cases. Also, the fact that they reasserted my right to possess (and by implication use) a firearm on my property in self-defense might be significant.

Your quote mentioned "possess" a firearm on your property. I would contact dblas and MSI to ask for guidance. The next legislative session is right around the corner and your case may be of interest.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The really annoying and ridiculous part is that they rely almost solely on REACTIVE conditions. I'm other words, once you've almost been killed or raped, you're probably good to go. Till then, holding pattern.

I think a better statement to replace the bold above would be shot down like the Red Baron.:gun7:

Feb 28, 2013
    I think a better statement to replace the bold above would be shot down like the Red Baron.:gun7:

:innocent0

snoopy_the_world_war_i_flying_ace_by_kritterkid-d5qnon2.png

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    jkeiler: What a ridiculous outcome! A couple of questions:

I got my denial of an appeal today.

How long did it take from the time you filed your appeal until the denial?

Typically, when the case came up for appeal they said I could appear but couldn't say anything

How did they communicate this to you? In writing?

Thanks this information would be very helpful to me.

CF

PS You know you have the right to appeal their decision to the Circuit Court of the County you live in.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I still wonder what the ruling would be if you suddenly became homeless. Would you then be forced to carry because you had no residence? I think its a case that would not pass any level of scrutiny. At such a point you would be denied your constitutional right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom