• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I should spend more money on training and less money on gadgets.

Gave the Training and Safety forum a college try w/ advanced search but came up a little dry...I'm wondering if YOU have used a particular instructor and found him/her to be excellent.

• Location: would prefer to go to NRA Range if indoor. If there is an outdoor / 360 degree opportunity near MoCo, all the better. If the person is superb, I'd drive 45-1hr. I live in Bethesda.
    • Goals: looking for refinement of technique with practical / defensive striker fired pistol & carbine. Standard SHTF gun owner here.
    • Type: definitely not a beginner but I'm objective about my abilities. I have been shooting long enough to be making ragged holes but it's not happening. Maybe I'm reading too many ARFcom commando "fish tale" posts. In any event, I believe in continuous improvement and I think I'm treading water on my own.

I know that I could just walk into the NRA Range and get good instruction but I'm a tire kicker kind of guy...like to get real recommendations- especially from people I trust...like the MDS community. Maybe the best instructor is already right under my nose (at the NRA range). :o .

I also acknowledge that static 2D ranges can only offer so much. Trying to get into IDPA or USPSA but want to solidify fundamentals first.
    Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Never had any formal training myself, wouldn't mind getting some when I get extra $$
    Figured I'd bump your thread

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I know you're down in MoCo, but if you want to learn to "run" your AR well, I'd start with Center Mass Combat Tactics up in Harford Co.

They have a carbine class coming up in a few weeks.

Here in an AAR I wrote up on the same class 1.5 years ago.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=149768

They also do handgun classes.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know you're down in MoCo, but if you want to learn to "run" your AR well, I'd start with Center Mass Combat Tactics up in Harford Co.

They have a carbine class coming up in a few weeks.

Here in an AAR I wrote up on the same class 1.5 years ago.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=149768

They also do handgun classes.

Many people do not prefer to do pt during their courses. Yeah yeah the whole "adrenaline dump/stress" factor, blah blah blah. Which I hear they pt during most of their classes. I believe someone who is looking to tighten down some notches on a little better than beginner experience, doesn't need all that drama.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Many people do not prefer to do pt during their courses. Yeah yeah the whole "adrenaline dump/stress" factor, blah blah blah. Which I hear they pt during most of their classes. I believe someone who is looking to tighten down some notches on a little better than beginner experience, doesn't need all that drama.

You don't have to do the PT. I took the class with a 50-something out of shape LE friend and he didn't do any.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I'll second Center Mass Combat Tactics. I have attended 4 or 5 of their training courses and loved every second. They make you work hard and excel. I walked away with a good solid skill set. All of the instructors are LEO/Military and have walked the walk. Each course packs a ton of info and shooting and more importantly how to stay alive and win. Old Man Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom