Been carrying my LCRx every day/evening for a week.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Took a family trip to South Dakota, and carried my LCRx .38 special, this past week.

A few comments:

1. Very light, which is an asset.
    2. Pretty easily concealed in the front pocket.
    3. Nobody in the family had a clue I was carrying

This would be the the perfect low-profile carry piece, BUT there is a big flaw with the LCRx, which is not a flaw in the LCR...

The problem is in the grip, and the near lack of decent aftermarket options to replace the hogue grip of the X model, for CCW carry.

Despite the fact that I love the hammer of the X model, I am considering dumping it for the non-X. The LCR NEEDS a different grip, than the stock grip, for pocket carry. The stock grip is just a bit too fat, and sticks to clothing. Too difficult to remove from the pocket, as is.

The X model barely has any usable replacement options, save for maybe one very expensive wood option, costing $120+, and a cheaper E-bay special, many regretted buying due to quality issues. The original model has several, including the affordable boot grip.

Kind of bummed, but learned a lot.

Really impressed with the lightness, and ability to carry a .38 with a great trigger, easily, and unnoticed. But if it cannot be removed from the pocket easily, then I have to look elsewhere.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's my thing with pocket carry, especially with a LCR and that fat , sticky grip. Pocket carry relies on SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. There is no fast draw out of a pocket(especially a front). Pre positioning your hand in your pocket on the grip, ready to draw is key when you get to whatever color of awareness you want to call it when you foresee a possible threat.
    Situation dependent. Throwing it in a back pocket is perfect because in a hold up, it's no different than reaching back for your wallet and then give the threat the "what fer".

I don't use a pocket holster for my LCR. They just gum things up and get in the way. I would never have a revolver meant for pocket use that has a hammer.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    i have had guns with hammers tear my shirts and get snagged time and again when carrying IWB and OWB. not just pocket carry.

I no longer carry guns that have exposed hammers, unless they are the round loop type.. like a CZ.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    A tall pocket holster will protect the hammer spur from getting snagged. It also maintains the proper orientation in the pocket making it easier to grasp and draw. The old trick of protecting the hammer with your thumb to prevent it catching becomes automatic with practice. This is what works for me.
    IMG_20170626_111941734_BURST000_COVER_2.jpg

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I bought a Hogue grip made of of the smooth G10 material and it's been awesome.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Shazam said.

Ultimate bottom line, if the grips are too bulky in your pocket ... Get bigger pockets ( or smaller gun).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's my thing with pocket carry, especially with a LCR and that fat , sticky grip. Pocket carry relies on SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. There is no fast draw out of a pocket(especially a front). Pre positioning your hand in your pocket on the grip, ready to draw is key when you get to whatever color of awareness you want to call it when you foresee a possible threat.
    Situation dependent. Throwing it in a back pocket is perfect because in a hold up, it's no different than reaching back for your wallet and then give the threat the "what fer".

I don't use a pocket holster for my LCR. They just gum things up and get in the way. I would never have a revolver meant for pocket use that has a hammer.

Reserved for.... ah, nevermind... I'll comment now! :D

I agree, especially regarding the hammer, no hammer is best i.e. Smith 642/442. Any/all carry relies on situational awareness, nothing special about pocket carry in that regard. Can be drawn super fast under ideal conditions (like standing, nothing holding/hindering your arm/hand). Not a fan of carrying anything (hard/bulky) in back pocket, only possible advantage is that steal counterattack you mention.

Always considered pocket carry kind of a 'plan B', if not able to dress with a real gun, good to be familiar with it and train with it even if you almost never plan to carry that way. My question to those that do carry this way, how often to you train drawing and shooting from this position?

All boils down to situational awareness/avoidance, defensive mindset and training x3. :thumbsup:

uncfolife

Mar 3, 2017
    Fort Washington, MD

I was looking at the Smith & Wesson bodyguard .38 special +P with the crimson trace and internal hammer. Anyone have one? If so what are your thoughts?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    jduo03.jpg

Centennial on top, bodyguard on bottom.
    See the difference. That 'hump' on the back of the Bodyguard allows for cocking the hammer (I don't recommend ever doing this in a defensive situation), and the Centennial is much lower profile, and doesn't have openings for lint/pocket crud to get into and gum up the works. Plus if you ever plan to pocket carry, the Centennial design (S&W642/442) is ideal.

----

After looking for that image, I see there may be an updated Bodyguard, I have not shot this new model, know nothing about it, it might be better. Their tiny .380 auto pistol also called the Bodyguard, why? Just to be confusing I guess.

Smith-Wesson-BODYGUARD-38-and-380-courtesy-The-Truth-About-Guns1.jpg

See this: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-smith-wesson-bodyguard-38-and-bodyguard-380/

uncfolife

Mar 3, 2017
    Fort Washington, MD
    jduo03.jpg

Centennial on top, bodyguard on bottom.
    See the difference. That 'hump' on the back of the Bodyguard allows for cocking the hammer (I don't recommend ever doing this in a defensive situation), and the Centennial is much lower profile, and doesn't have openings for lint/pocket crud to get into and gum up the works. Plus if you ever plan to pocket carry, the Centennial design (S&W642/442) is ideal.

----

After looking for that image, I see there may be an updated Bodyguard, I have not shot this new model, know nothing about it, it might be better. Their tiny .380 auto pistol also called the Bodyguard, why? Just to be confusing I guess.

Smith-Wesson-BODYGUARD-38-and-380-courtesy-The-Truth-About-Guns1.jpg

See this: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-smith-wesson-bodyguard-38-and-bodyguard-380/

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I don't carry but I know when "playing around with it" my little S&W Airweight 38spcl+p slips in and out of a front pocket pretty easily.

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_224646.jpg
      IMG_20170628_224646.jpg
      96.3 KB · Views: 164

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I bought a Hogue grip made of of the smooth G10 material and it's been awesome.

I called Hogue because their website didn't say the G10 supported the LCRx with hammer. Most aftermarket grips only work with the original non-hammer LCD. They said the G10 has recently been modified to work with both. I didn't order, but it sounds as if it is a good idea to call, as some they had would work, and others not.

Also, forgot to mention that I was using a Remora pocket holster, on my trip. The holster was not the problem -- the fat grip was a big problem.

I ended up finding a new IWB holster from my LGS. I forget the maker, but it was a new kydex holster named "Betty" which is very small/thin, with one belt clip. The package looks like a WWII bomber design.

Although it is not pocket carry, I like it, because it can be worn right side, or left side crossdraw (great for driving). If positioned right, I forget it is there. Faster draw, although it buries a bit, on the belt. Don't need to change the grips. Because the new holster is kydex, and barely as big as the gun, it slides on almost as fast as throwing a gun into the pocket holster (almost).

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I don't carry but I know when "playing around with it" my little S&W Airweight 38spcl+p slips in and out of a front pocket pretty easily.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have gone this route, for pocket carry.

I believe this is S&W's top-seller, and for good reason. Trigger is heavy, but if you have to pull, and use this sucker, you'd likely never notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom