• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just called Ruger and got a return auth. # and FedEx shipping label via email.
    Ruger was very nice and says they will get the screws out for free.
    I am to ship the whole gun, not just the receiver and leave detailed instructions in the box for their gunsmith.
    I must say that their customer service is excellent so far but all this is for a gun for which I paid just $300.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Ruger has had quality issues as long as I can remember. Not saying they don't make some decent firearms, but their deal has always been to find the cheapest decent way to manufacture something. They've turned out some real steamers over the decades. My personal favorite is the 77/22 with the slip fit barrels and v-block. This makes the stock a critical structural part of the barrel to receiver fit. Leads to fantastic accuracy. Ruger used to be famous for making the most inaccurate rifles you could buy. They earned that.

I really liked the 77/22 when they came out. Mine was pretty accurate right out of the box. With some relatively inexpensive and easy to do modifications, they could be extremely accurate. Not sure about the newer versions as I have not owned one.

I just called Ruger and got a return auth. # and FedEx shipping label via email.
    Ruger was very nice and says they will get the screws out for free.
    I am to ship the whole gun, not just the receiver and leave detailed instructions in the box for their gunsmith.
    I must say that their customer service is excellent so far but all this is for a gun for which I paid just $300.

Be sure to insure it just incase.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I really liked the 77/22 when they came out. Mine was pretty accurate right out of the box. With some relatively inexpensive and easy to do modifications, they could be extremely accurate. Not sure about the newer versions as I have not owned one.

Ruger says it's insured - I asked.
    I have the original box it came in but it's pretty flimsy. Could the box bend and bend the barrel?
    I'm imagining taping the rifle to a 1x3 or something and then shipping it.

I've never done this before. :)

I'm headed down to A1. Thanks A1!!!!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Thanks for the boxes A1!
    You've got a very nice shop with lots of fun toys.
    I enjoyed meeting you!
    Steve

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

What mods to the 77/22?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    What mods to the 77/22?
    Depends on how unlucky you are.

Read the 77/22 section of this page.
    http://www.ct-precision.com/

Sometimes people throw everything they've got at a 77/22, and still end up with a gun that a $350 CZ will out shoot, and you could have bought an Anschutz to begin with for the amount of money you have sunk in to the 77/22.

Simply floating the barrel isn't an option for many because then the barrel will droop too much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Depends on how unlucky you are.

Read the 77/22 section of this page.
    http://www.ct-precision.com/

Sometimes people throw everything they've got at a 77/22, and still end up with a gun that a $350 CZ will out shoot, and you could have bought an Anschutz to begin with for the amount of money you have sunk in to the 77/22.

Simply floating the barrel isn't an option for many because then the barrel will droop too much.

Thanks.

I have a 77/22 with laminated stock that I have never shot. :)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Thanks.

I have a 77/22 with laminated stock that I have never shot. :)

Take it to the range and see how it shoots first. If it doesn't shoot well, take a look at how the stock is inletted, there may well be a ridge down the center of the barrel channel making contact and causing issues. If there is, just sand it out. The little ridge left in the barrel channel is one of the easiest things to fix and it is not an issue limited to any one manufacturer. Also, check the torque on the barrel mounting block screws to make sure the torque is uniform. I can't remember what torque setting I used as it has been a long, long time since I did one. One more thing, check the barrel mounting block to make sure it is machined straight. I have seen some that were not true and needed to be squared up, so that even pressure could be achieved when the screws were torqued.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If it's a newer 22 lr 77/22, I believe the barrel/receiver may be threaded rather than using the V block. A quick googling seems to indicate 2009 on is threaded.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If it's a newer 22 lr 77/22, I believe the barrel/receiver may be threaded rather than using the V block. A quick googling seems to indicate 2009 on is threaded.

Just looked it up and you are correct. Should be easy to tell if it is threaded since it will not have the block.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    FedEx has the box scanned in. I'll post again when I get it back.
    Thanks again everyone esp. A1.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just got the rifle back from Ruger 15 minutes ago. Cost: $0.0

Pretty good service I'd say.

Attachments

• IMG_2087s.JPG
      IMG_2087s.JPG
      17.3 KB · Views: 205

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Now, you know that you are just going to take it out and get it dirty!:innocent0
    YEP!
    There now, that didn't take long!!!
    Even I can do this much gunsmithing. :D

The end game was to get the Nodak sights on it because my eyes can't deal with rear leaf sights anymore.
    I'll put a nice Leupold 2-7x28mm Ultralight on the rail and I think I'll have something pretty nice.
    I might even use a QD mount for the scope.

Attachments

• IMG_2093s.JPG
      IMG_2093s.JPG
      18.1 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_2094s.JPG
      IMG_2094s.JPG
      15.9 KB · Views: 196
    • IMG_2095s.jpg
      IMG_2095s.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 193

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I decided to add a red dot because even though I can shoot quite nicely with the AR style sights I need my shooting glasses to do it. Nowadays I really need either a red-dot or a scope. Anyway I got a couple of nice Bushnell TRS-25's from Natchez on sale, one of which found its way on to the 10/22.

The TRS-25 DOES co-witness nicely with the NoDak Spud rear aperture and front sight post.

NoDak Spud: http://www.nodakspud.com/

Attachments

• IMG_2185s.JPG
      IMG_2185s.JPG
      10.4 KB · Views: 135
    • IMG_2186s.JPG
      IMG_2186s.JPG
      12.2 KB · Views: 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads