Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Just to be sure I am clear-
    Is it legal to own a Butterfly Knife?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    By MD statute and case law Balisongs are legal to buy, own, carry, and conceal. No state law preemption though, Frederick, Cambridge, Baltimore and Ocean city have their own brand of stupid by length or type. Can guarantee a good number of officers have no idea what MD knife laws are, including allowable length (no limit by MD, frederick and cambridge <3"), so best bet is to keep it concealed. Balis are awesome, probably the type of knife I carry most when on my motorcycle being they securely lock CLOSED, and are about as much blade as you can get in a pen knife. Easy to learn a couple basic flips to use it, but best to get an unsharpened practice blade or knife to learn more. Main thing is to keep track of the "bite" handle (edge closes twards it) and "safe" handle (spine closes twards it, when starting out you hold the safe handle, release and flip the bite handle. Get a Bear and sons or basic model if you just want to try one out, but Balis are a type of knife where more money definitely gets you a much better knife, at least up to a point.

You can carry in a pouch or pocket, but some have pocket clips, I like to run my clip so when I draw, I'm holding the safe handle, and being the safe handle usually has the latch, it's a bit easier to keep track of the handle with both on it, and be careful with the plain handle. I have a few Balis, my Benchmade 51 Morpho is probably my favorite, especially to carry. It's G10/Titaium lightweight, slick bushing pivots, with a slender 4" blade and spring latch(squeeze handles together, latch pops free), zen pins(no tang pins to weaken the knife or fall out). It flips fast and very well for a lightweight knife, but with a reversible pocket clip, tough materials and spring clip it was built to carry. Can't really go wrong with Benchmade, microtech Tachyon or BRS for a good "mid priced" Bali with quality construction.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you want a Bali trainer, I have the Benchmade just sitting in the box.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That would be great. I willl gladly cover the costs. Where are you?

I'm in Southern MD, Calvert Co.

One was erroneously sent to me by Benchmade, asked if they wanted it back - they told me to keep it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Damn, that's awesome. Almost enough to put me on Benchmade for all of my knife purchases.

They seem to be good people, I've had a few Benchmade's, and I can't complain.

Haven't yet taken them up on their re-sharpening service, I've been keeping a pretty good edge on them on my own.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I sell Benchmade, and will beat any verified price. I have the Butterfly Benchmades in stock. ;)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Damn, that's awesome. Almost enough to put me on Benchmade for all of my knife purchases.

Their customer service is awesome, they will replace a blade on ANY knife for around $30, have had a few frequent users where the blade was sharpened away or damaged, they replaced it for cheap, no problem, one being my old T-latch 42 balisong, dropped it enough times flipping, and fixing it by sharpening it resulted in about 1/4" shorter blade, also was a combo edge, they replaced it in upgraded steel, plain edge as I requested, replaced the bearings at no charge. They will send pocket clips out for free just about any time you ask, only gripe is they want you to send a knife back in to get omega springs replaced instead of sending the parts. They won't ship autos back to an individual without .gov credentials, so either have to be friendly with a LEO or a benchmade dealer if that applies to you.

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    in md. it's legal to own, legal to carry. i as well as other had to check before spending hundreds of $$ on knives we could only keep in the house. i occasionally carry my
    BM 42 ti springer, carried my bradley kimura quite a bit, carried BM mini once or twice. Yes, Md. and balto. cps are like dumb and dumber. so many don't know the statutes well if at all. = if they harrass u just make sure you don't let them bully you/coerce you into just giving them the knife and walking away. btw i recall how the baltimore cops talked on how many knives they had...

there are good officers in balto and md. alike no question about it. i know a couple of them. Yet, i just have run into or observed far more natural liars, thugs, thieves and opportunists dressed in a uniform. because of living in balto. it's just sop. i was just thankful i was a passerby frankly

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    By MD statute and case law Balisongs are legal to buy, own, carry, and conceal. No state law preemption though, Frederick, Cambridge, Baltimore and Ocean city have their own brand of stupid by length or type. Can guarantee a good number of officers have no idea what MD knife laws are, including allowable length (no limit by MD, frederick and cambridge <3"), so best bet is to keep it concealed. Balis are awesome, probably the type of knife I carry most when on my motorcycle being they securely lock CLOSED, and are about as much blade as you can get in a pen knife. Easy to learn a couple basic flips to use it, but best to get an unsharpened practice blade or knife to learn more. Main thing is to keep track of the "bite" handle (edge closes twards it) and "safe" handle (spine closes twards it, when starting out you hold the safe handle, release and flip the bite handle. Get a Bear and sons or basic model if you just want to try one out, but Balis are a type of knife where more money definitely gets you a much better knife, at least up to a point.

You can carry in a pouch or pocket, but some have pocket clips, I like to run my clip so when I draw, I'm holding the safe handle, and being the safe handle usually has the latch, it's a bit easier to keep track of the handle with both on it, and be careful with the plain handle. I have a few Balis, my Benchmade 51 Morpho is probably my favorite, especially to carry. It's G10/Titaium lightweight, slick bushing pivots, with a slender 4" blade and spring latch(squeeze handles together, latch pops free), zen pins(no tang pins to weaken the knife or fall out). It flips fast and very well for a lightweight knife, but with a reversible pocket clip, tough materials and spring clip it was built to carry. Can't really go wrong with Benchmade, microtech Tachyon or BRS for a good "mid priced" Bali with quality construction.

Is the 3” limit just for folders? It doesn’t apply to fixed blades, does it? Pardon my ignorance.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Is the 3” limit just for folders? It doesn’t apply to fixed blades, does it? Pardon my ignorance.

There is no 3" limit under Maryland law. The law in Frederick, MD is actually a common misinterpretation, as it only applies public area within 500 feet of a "special event." For general use, there is no length limit. Key point of evidence, the knife store EdgeWorks is downtown, and has numerous longer knives for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom