• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Measures to make sure the NICS database gets properly fed will be effective and carries no political cost. I expect Trump to go with that. Anything else...there are some things that are do-able, provided we get something in exchange. From a policy standpoint, buying UBCs with a national preemptive act that overrides state and local firearms laws makes a lot of sense.

Like to see the criminals locked up and throw away the key, that would address most “gun” violence.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Measures to make sure the NICS database gets properly fed will be effective and carries no political cost. I expect Trump to go with that. Anything else...there are some things that are do-able, provided we get something in exchange. From a policy standpoint, buying UBCs with a national preemptive act that overrides state and local firearms laws makes a lot of sense.

NICS is a GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out) system - it is only as effective as the information it receives. Maryland is known for not populating all of the requested information and there is no mechanism that I am aware of that gives the federal government leverage to force a state government to comply with the data request. NICS has always been a pipe dream.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    ... there is no mechanism that I am aware of that gives the federal government leverage to force a state government to comply with the data request.

There is if the chief executive is the honey badger and doesn't care what you think when he says he'll chop off piles of federal funding for local law enforcement or other directly related matters when the state/county/whatever wants to play social justice warrior games and shelter cherry picked perps from making the list.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Occam is right. The Feds can cut off money to states and localities that don't feed NICS. And there is no political downside to doing so.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    NICS is a GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out) system - it is only as effective as the information it receives. Maryland is known for not populating all of the requested information and there is no mechanism that I am aware of that gives the federal government leverage to force a state government to comply with the data request. NICS has always been a pipe dream.

I would love for Trump to make a public announcement where he lists the states that are not compliant with the NICS requests and end it: Once. MD, VA..... are compliant with NICS we can talk about expanding background checks.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Where is everyone getting this proposal list from?

Watched it on Fox this morning in the 4-5AM edition. Talking with a 2A attorney. Didn't write them down but there was about 6-8 things on there. "No fly list" was one of them, UBC's with a NICS phone app for "normal citizens", helping states with their red flag laws, mental health stuff, and a bunch of others.

I was stunned by the "no fly" thing they blew right past and didn't catch much else in my disbelief.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That's what I'm saying this just seems to be talking heads on the TV who dont know jack

supposedly... reportedly...

No one knows until there is an announcement.

In other news, I have also seen two reports that the Trump admin will revoke California's wavier for auto emission standards tomorrow, so CA will no longer be able to effectively set standards for the entire country. I have more confidence in those rumors than any gun control legislation. But who really knows if it will happen tomorrow per the reporting.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Watched it on Fox this morning in the 4-5AM edition. Talking with a 2A attorney. Didn't write them down but there was about 6-8 things on there. "No fly list" was one of them, UBC's with a NICS phone app for "normal citizens", helping states with their red flag laws, mental health stuff, and a bunch of others.

I was stunned by the "no fly" thing they blew right past and didn't catch much else in my disbelief.

That was a holdover from yesterday's talking points. Trump proposed a "Red Flag List" that included a gang banger data base. That was the poison pill included to ensure Dimocrat rejection. So there's nothing now. Again. Still. Classic Trump. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    supposedly... reportedly...

No one knows until there is an announcement.

In other news, I have also seen two reports that the Trump admin will revoke California's wavier for auto emission standards tomorrow, so CA will no longer be able to effectively set standards for the entire country. I have more confidence in those rumors than any gun control legislation. But who really knows if it will happen tomorrow per the reporting.

Your last I believe. It’s also going to fall on its face. The clean air act specifically directs the EPA to grant a waiver to California if California requested one. It wasn’t optional. So EPA is going to lose their revocation of the waiver real fast and real hard.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Supposedly this is a "proposed" background check bill. Lots wrong in my opinion. Says that sales outside of an FFL are commercial & not subject to a check. If it's a private sale it's not commercial. Hogan Gidley says this is far from a done deal. I sure hope so.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
      IMG_0200.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 399

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Once again we're told the majority of Americans want more gun control. What the majority want is less violence. Many have been deluded to believe that the one will result in the other.

Indeed. The text of the question matters. If a anti-2A group asks "Would you support new laws which prevent the criminally insane and infants from buying guns?", 99% of respondents will say yes. The group them says, "Based on our studies, 99% of Americans support tightening gun laws".

With Trump you never know. It be something, or nothing. Either way no guns are being taken...just sayin’.

He will support red flag laws and those take guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom