• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    CVA Optima? I have the same thing.

I went out this morning and didnt see anything. I really want to be in the stand right now but i have to go to work :sad20:

CVA wolf. Out now with my oldest in a blind with my crossbow.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nothing while we were in the blind. 4 deer on the pipeline afterward. 1 right at the edge of the woods and pipeline, in off limits area. Then one across the street in a lawn 50yds from the parking area. Lastly 2 back on the pipeline right where we had been walking 5 minutes before.

It’s how it breaks, but he seemed to enjoy himself and at least he got to see deer. He was all sniffles though. Hard for a 9yr old to stay quiet in the blind with a runny nose. He’s at that age where I want to start getting him involved in hunting. This fall I’ll probably take him to Greenridge to go camping and squirrel hunting, well hunting companion. I am thinking 2019 will be getting him his apprentice license so he can be the shooter squirrel hunting and if he wants deer hunting. 50/50 he’ll be with me at the CCGC New Year’s Day shoot. Looking like it’ll be damn cold, so he may stay at home instead of trying to shoot a round.

Attachments

• A0CB35D6-8504-42E5-B77E-73BB6C77150D.jpg
      A0CB35D6-8504-42E5-B77E-73BB6C77150D.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 147
    • D5715167-DB3C-4F41-9C94-5AC6C8F16D70.jpg
      D5715167-DB3C-4F41-9C94-5AC6C8F16D70.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 153

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nothing while we were in the blind. 4 deer on the pipeline afterward. 1 right at the edge of the woods and pipeline, in off limits area. Then one across the street in a lawn 50yds from the parking area. Lastly 2 back on the pipeline right where we had been walking 5 minutes before.

It’s how it breaks, but he seemed to enjoy himself and at least he got to see deer. He was all sniffles though. Hard for a 9yr old to stay quiet in the blind with a runny nose. He’s at that age where I want to start getting him involved in hunting. This fall I’ll probably take him to Greenridge to go camping and squirrel hunting, well hunting companion. I am thinking 2019 will be getting him his apprentice license so he can be the shooter squirrel hunting and if he wants deer hunting. 50/50 he’ll be with me at the CCGC New Year’s Day shoot. Looking like it’ll be damn cold, so he may stay at home instead of trying to shoot a round.
    Time we'll spent brother. You're making great memories for that young man.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Saw that large 8 point about 125 yds from me. Made a doe bleat and he stopped and turned to walk in my direction. He walked about 10 yards when someone did a mag dump on a neighboring farm. He did a 180 and was gone. Thems is the breaks I guess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    He shoots, he scores. Just checked in this lil' feller. Next time, be more specific! ;)
    Very nice. Nice spread, tine length, and decent brow tines. Well done. Sadly, I wussed out today due to cold. When my Father called today I was in a toasty warm bed, and not about to get out. Total sissy, but a warm sissy I suppose.

Well done to everyone that just went out today, and congrats to all that scored!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very nice. Nice spread, tine length, and decent brow tines. Well done. Sadly, I wussed out today due to cold. When my Father called today I was in a toasty warm bed, and not about to get out. Total sissy, but a warm sissy I suppose.

Well done to everyone that just went out today, and congrats to all that scored!

I had every intention of getting up at 5am and getting out there. Hit snooze on my phone once and then changed the alarm to 7am. Don’t need the meat, it’s about having fun in the woods and I don’t need to be sitting in a stand or under a tree when it is 18F and darker then a politician’s Heart for that.

I’ll do that next week for the late gun season.

I did see a couple of ladder stands in what I am positive were IN Patuxent, not on private property. I am sure it is probably the property owner’s stands near by, but the signs for the park boundary are at the tree line there. Not 150yds in to the woods.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Coywolf. They say they get to around 80 lbs.

This video was back in 2014 and specifically deals with them in the state of New York. There have been reports of them in Cecil and Harford County that I know of, probably other counties in Maryland too. I thought I saw one when we first moved into our house. The property was part of about 400 acres of no man's land. Nothing done to the property for hundreds of years. I'm attributing the lack of deer to this animal in my area. In years past we would see deer everyday in my back yard. This year, I've probably seen less than 20 the entire year (January 1st to December 30th). In my 5 years that's a drastic drop in sightings. Trail camera hasn't shown many at night either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd18fLEf_Cw

[YT]Sd18fLEf_Cw[/YT]

Not fox, they have relatively dainty feet. That’s a big dog or a coyote/coywolfe. Really large track.

I cannot rule this out. Like I said earlier in this thread, the deer have completely disappeared from my property. Very unusual. They are typically out every day and night. I shot one at the middle of rifle season and then they all left. I found an entire rib cage on my hill not long after that. Thought it was very strange.

These tracks are big. No dogs wondering around that I have ever seen. Whatever it was it walked up the driveway, walked around the back yard and up onto the porch. Then up the hill into the woods. Didn’t follow tracks past my property but there are very heavy woods for miles behind my property.

The animal came between 5 am when I left and 12:30 when I got home from work. No tracks were in the driveway snow when I left.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I cannot rule this out. Like I said earlier in this thread, the deer have completely disappeared from my property. Very unusual. They are typically out every day and night. I shot one at the middle of rifle season and then they all left. I found an entire rib cage on my hill not long after that. Thought it was very strange.

These tracks are big. No dogs wondering around that I have ever seen. Whatever it was it walked up the driveway, walked around the back yard and up onto the porch. Then up the hill into the woods. Didn’t follow tracks past my property but there are very heavy woods for miles behind my property.

The animal came between 5 am when I left and 12:30 when I got home from work. No tracks were in the driveway snow when I left.

Same here. My woods were loaded with deer up to two years ago and now its a ghost town. I know for a fact there was a coyote less than 5 miles away from my house last year but i havent seen anything on our cameras.

I'd love to putt a camera on a gut pile or caracass, and may have to do that soon. Also new to me this year was how fast one of our gut piles was eaten. My neighbor shot a deer and gutted it at about 8am. When we walked back into the woods at 3pm it was completely gone! That was a first for me and i still wonder what the heck ate the enitre gut pile from a large deer during day light hours in less than 8 hours.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Same here. My woods were loaded with deer up to two years ago and now its a ghost town. I know for a fact there was a coyote less than 5 miles away from my house last year but i havent seen anything on our cameras.

I'd love to putt a camera on a gut pile or caracass, and may have to do that soon. Also new to me this year was how fast one of our gut piles was eaten. My neighbor shot a deer and gutted it at about 8am. When we walked back into the woods at 3pm it was completely gone! That was a first for me and i still wonder what the heck ate the enitre gut pile from a large deer during day light hours in less than 8 hours.

When I shot my deer this year I gutted it on top of my hill. The entire pile was gone the next day as well. My new plan after these tracks today is to move my game camera and throw some meat out. If I have a coyote walking up on my back porch I will not stop hunting it until it is dead.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

I shot a deer x-bow hunting at the River Road area of Patapsco about 6 or 7 years ago, 35 yd shot, it ran 25 yds and died in plain site behind me to the right as I was in my tree. I watched it die, on its side (white belly facing me). I gave it the customary 30 min before I climbed down. When I walked over to it, the deer (busted up buck with only antler bases left and a giant stupid-looking overbite) it was “sitting up” kinda like it was sleeping with its head down-forward, looked lke it was alive. Now, I watched it die on its side with my binocs only 30 min earlier. I also then noticed that there was white and brown fur spread everywhere, and the deer’s tail was completely gone, only a bloody couple bone fragments left. The a-hole had been eaten into, and a big chunk of rump roast was chewed off. The damn thing was still hot.

I never did see any other animal there, and didn’t monitor the thing laying there the whole time, but something started eating my buck almost instantly, and what was pretty much directly in view. Whatever this thing was it was strong enough to pick up a 125 lb (dressed) deer from its sprawled-out side and position it in the “bedded” position. Back then I guessed coyote. Wasn’t ruling out a black bear as they’ve been spotted in Patapsco a few times. Or perhaps Chupacabra or Bigfoot?? Very weird.

I’ve left plenty of deer in fox-infested woods overnight and retrieved them the next morning with no damage. Had to run crows off a few times, luckily before they got on it. This incident was strange and I’ve never heard any story like it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I shot a deer x-bow hunting at the River Road area of Patapsco about 6 or 7 years ago, 35 yd shot, it ran 25 yds and died in plain site behind me to the right as I was in my tree. I watched it die, on its side (white belly facing me). I gave it the customary 30 min before I climbed down. When I walked over to it, the deer (busted up buck with only antler bases left and a giant stupid-looking overbite) it was “sitting up” kinda like it was sleeping with its head down-forward, looked lke it was alive. Now, I watched it die on its side with my binocs only 30 min earlier. I also then noticed that there was white and brown fur spread everywhere, and the deer’s tail was completely gone, only a bloody couple bone fragments left. The a-hole had been eaten into, and a big chunk of rump roast was chewed off. The damn thing was still hot.

I never did see any other animal there, and didn’t monitor the thing laying there the whole time, but something started eating my buck almost instantly, and what was pretty much directly in view. Whatever this thing was it was strong enough to pick up a 125 lb (dressed) deer from its sprawled-out side and position it in the “bedded” position. Back then I guessed coyote. Wasn’t ruling out a black bear as they’ve been spotted in Patapsco a few times. Or perhaps Chupacabra or Bigfoot?? Very weird.

I’ve left plenty of deer in fox-infested woods overnight and retrieved them the next morning with no damage. Had to run crows off a few times, luckily before they got on it. This incident was strange and I’ve never heard any story like it.

I’ve been saying it here and the wife and friends think I’m crazy. I realize that deer go through patterns and change up activity frequently. But I have spent the last year watching deer morning and night in the same spots every day. They have vanished. The only reason I had two show up when I shot mine is because I put corn out a few days earlier and they came to it. They simply are not moving at all anymore here.

I believe more than ever with the tracks I found today that something coyote like is around either scaring the deer or killing them. I have heard rumors of DNR confirming coyotes 3 miles from my house in recent times. I’m thinking about calling and seeing if there is any truth to the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom