• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Hi all,

Have a question about the Mossberg MVP 5.56mm. Took it out for the first time earlier today, which was fantastic btw, shoots lights out up to 300yd (furthest I could test). First bolt I ever owned, there's definitely something to this non self loading thing.

I ran it with Wolf Gold brass which was trouble free. Shot some hard drives which produced neat little holes in the cases but not a fun level of destruction... Wanted to see if 62gr would be appreciably different. I tried some Lake City 62gr XM855 green tip I had, which I was led to understand is very close to milspec issued ammo. At least one of 10 rounds would end up as a light primer strike, I basically got at least one such thing in every mag, ran 4 mags, so not likely a fluke.

I had an AR with me, ran the ammo under question, no issues to report...

Is this normal? Does mil ammo need a harder push? Is this related to 223 vs 5.56 NATO chamber sizes, or is there potentially something else going on? Most importantly, is the expected or do I need to start talking to Mossberg?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The primer cup thickness might be coming into play. M855 is military ammo, therefore it has a thicker primer cup, to prevent AD's, due to the floating firing pin design of an AR15/M16/M4 rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Primer cup is one thing to consider, there's also a few other considerations.

Firing pin protrusion thru the bolt face, if it's shorter than an AR's - that could lead to light strikes on mil-style ammo. Primer seated depth, being mass-production ammo - there's going to be variations on the exact depth the primer is seated into the pocket. Add those two together, and there's your click instead of bang.

**Save the greentips for the AR, it's a waste of barrel life in a bolt gun.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Ok, so sounds like this is expected and not an issue with this specific rifle. That's good to know. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom