New AR Build (with pics!), any thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hey Everybody, thanks for the recommendations! I have purchased a center punch for castle nut staking! I'll make sure to put my feet in the pictures with my guns from now on. Do ya'll have foot fetishes? Weird...

We do. Don't ask why.

I have my foot in a vid about a reloading press. I took it that far.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    Hahaha I'll tell you what, I am definitely glad I joined this group. I will definitely wear socks if the occassion is right. If I take those rail covers off my hand grip, maybe I'll take my socks off too! I'm currently figuring out ammo, I have 200rds of Prvi Partizan 55gr. 5.56 that I bought on impulse, and I am going to head to wal-mart to get a few different boxes to see what she likes to eat. I'm pretty sure (since I will keep it pretty clean and shoot it "as often as I can") that I will be going with the cheapest ammo I can find (Wolf, Tulammo). I don't think I'll abuse it enough to worry about quicker wear, etc. As for my SHTF scenario, I'll be getting the parts for a second complete upper anyway so that I don't have to worry about gas systems wearing out, etc. I think I'll keep one or two thousand rounds in reserve...although if I could, I would most likely have 100,000.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hahaha I'll tell you what, I am definitely glad I joined this group. I will definitely wear socks if the occassion is right. If I take those rail covers off my hand grip, maybe I'll take my socks off too! I'm currently figuring out ammo, I have 200rds of Prvi Partizan 55gr. 5.56 that I bought on impulse, and I am going to head to wal-mart to get a few different boxes to see what she likes to eat. I'm pretty sure (since I will keep it pretty clean and shoot it "as often as I can") that I will be going with the cheapest ammo I can find (Wolf, Tulammo). I don't think I'll abuse it enough to worry about quicker wear, etc. As for my SHTF scenario, I'll be getting the parts for a second complete upper anyway so that I don't have to worry about gas systems wearing out, etc. I think I'll keep one or two thousand rounds in reserve...although if I could, I would most likely have 100,000.

Inless your gun has something wrong with it, or its assembled wrong, the gas system will take 7500-15000 rounds before you see an issue. If and when you do, a Gas System rebuild consists of a Gas Tube, Gas Tube Roll Pin, and 3 Gas Rings.

Imported steel cased ammo, and some PMC tends to have lower gas port pressure and can lead to a clogged gas tube if not monitored. To counteract this, its wise to dump a mag of some domestic 5.56 through the gun before packing it in at the range. This can help keep the imported powders with weak port pressure from clogging up you stuff.

.080 Weed Eater line is a perfect way to gauge a gas tube for obstructions. Dont clean the Gas Tube, just shoot the gun.

The most common wear Items are as such:
    Gas Rings
    Buffer Spring
    Extractor Spring

Inless your gun has something wrong with it, or its assembled wrong, the gas system will take 7500-15000 rounds before you see an issue. If and when you do, a Gas System rebuild consists of a Gas Tube, Gas Tube Roll Pin, and 3 Gas Rings.

Imported steel cased ammo, and some PMC tends to have lower gas port pressure and can lead to a clogged gas tube if not monitored. To counteract this, its wise to dump a mag of some domestic 5.56 through the gun before packing it in at the range. This can help keep the imported powders with weak port pressure from clogging up you stuff.

.080 Weed Eater line is a perfect way to gauge a gas tube for obstructions. Dont clean the Gas Tube, just shoot the gun.

The most common wear Items are as such:
    Gas Rings
    Buffer Spring
    Extractor Spring

Never would have even though of that. Someone needs to publish the Encyclopedia of Chad, to hell with Brittanica

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Never would have even though of that. Someone needs to publish the Encyclopedia of Chad, to hell with Brittanica

Thanks for the compliment. The weed eater line is perfect for this purpose. The risk of it getting jammed or break is almost impossible.

Just be sure to use the line into the exhaust port of the gas tube (back end). I had one guy I told to use weedeater line try to feed it into the muzzle, through the gas port, and into the gas tube. I told him that wont work and he said "well your advice sucks".:lol2:

Thanks for the compliment. The weed eater line is perfect for this purpose. The risk of it getting jammed or break is almost impossible.

Just be sure to use the line into the exhaust port of the gas tube (back end). I had one guy I told to use weedeater line try to feed it into the muzzle, through the gas port, and into the gas tube. I told him that wont work and he said "well your advice sucks".2:
    Not trying to brown nose but I follow your advice carefully. I do your oiling technique with my AR. I'd love to take your classes but I don't have a DI.

Also the other guy sounds like the type that would put his hand in front of the pistol to check the laser and pull the trigger

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not trying to brown nose but I follow your advice carefully. I do your oiling technique with my AR. I'd love to take your classes but I don't have a DI.

Also the other guy sounds like the type that would put his hand in front of the pistol to check the laser and pull the trigger

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Happy to hear my posts are valuable in you eyes. It makes me glad to hear positive feedback.

Thank you my friend.

RE: The guy who told me I suck, he was an angry feller. I never met him in person though.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    To counteract this, its wise to dump a mag of some domestic 5.56 through the gun before packing it in at the range. This can help keep the imported powders with weak port pressure from clogging up you stuff.

Chad, I'm pretty sure I read one of your posts at one point that said not to ever actually try and CLEAN the gas tube/key, that shooting the gun would self-regulate the system. Now that you say this, am I correct to assume that I can spend a whole day shooting steel case and as long as I dump a mag of clean american lead through it at the end, the gas system will, in effect, clear itself out completely, thereby eliminating the need to "deep clean" almost ever?

Thanks so much for the feedback, it is a life saver!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, I'm pretty sure I read one of your posts at one point that said not to ever actually try and CLEAN the gas tube/key, that shooting the gun would self-regulate the system. Now that you say this, am I correct to assume that I can spend a whole day shooting steel case and as long as I dump a mag of clean american lead through it at the end, the gas system will, in effect, clear itself out completely, thereby eliminating the need to "deep clean" almost ever?

Thanks so much for the feedback, it is a life saver!

That is correct. I never advise to clean the has system. The system will self clean with domestic ammo. I just use the weed eater line to check the gas tube and gas key for obstructions. Primers can pop and clog up the gas key.

THE Gas Tube flange will likely wear out before you clog up a gas tube with imported ammo, but these methods ensure that wont happen.

Just shoot a 30 round mag of hot milspec ammo at the end of the day will reduce the odds of imported steel cased ammo from clogging the gas tube. I prefer to to the final mag dump when the rifle it still HOT.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    Fantastic!! Thanks so much for the clarification. I'm humbled to be in touch with someone so knowledgeable. Thanks again!

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Proper Rifle photos :D

attachment.php

1003984342b2ff0678f20ec2f66a2e7a_zpse5v64yyf.jpg

0924161235_zpsyiflih6k.jpg

I would definitely recommend mounting the optic directly on the receiver instead of the handguard, and possibly some higher scope rings especially with that raised cheek weld.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Fantastic!! Thanks so much for the clarification. I'm humbled to be in touch with someone so knowledgeable. Thanks again!

It my pleasure. I learn stuff from others all of the time. :) I wouldnt know 90% of what I know if talented people were not willing to share their knowledge with me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would definitely recommend mounting the optic directly on the receiver instead of the handguard, and possibly some higher scope rings especially with that raised cheek weld.

Agreed. The bottom pic is a Bozo no-no. :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom