• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I want to purchase another AR, which should be the last one for the year. I recently purchased two Colt revolvers made in the 1970s. Now, one of my local shops has a Colt SP-1 in. I'm thinking it was also made in the 1970s. Looks just like the ones used in SWAT, the 70s TV series. IIRC, they want $1700 for it. Not sure if they are including any magazines. I'm really considering picking this one up. Are they asking too much? Should I just get it?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How's the condition? I'm seeing some on GB with $2k-$3k price tags. Also seeing some down to $1k

From what I could see, no broken or missing bits, no problems with the anodizing. I didn't work the action. I've seen three SP1s on GB, they're at around $1300 now.

Lou45 had a couple at $1K each at the Howard County show 2weeks before he died.

That was then, this is now.

Lou had newer Colt LE HBARs. I'm looking at one of these https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/7/31/i-have-this-old-gun-colt-ar-15-sp1/

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At this point, it's unlikely that I'll be picking this one up. Which is too bad, I was going with a whole 1970s SWAT theme. My lack of fun money to cover this this month will probably mean I will have to wait until November to pick it up, and I doubt it will still be there then.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    last gun this year, last gun this month, last gun ever - yeah right, i've told the wifey that many times, and even told myself that a few times and yet it never seems to work out as planned...

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    You started this way too late to now start asking about "fair pricing".

The panic is here.

Each month this year has set records for background checks by the FBI. People are definitely buying a lot of guns. I guess it could be considered panic buying. If it continues prices might start going up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    last gun this year, last gun this month, last gun ever - yeah right, i've told the wifey that many times, and even told myself that a few times and yet it never seems to work out as planned...

Please stop. I am trying to tell myself that as I put the finishing touches on my first AR-15 as the voice in my head says "hey, a Ruger American rimfire doesn't really cost much and maybe what you meant to tell yourself not another centerfire this year".

Also, you know, a 16" HBAR barrel is only like $99, you could just tuck it away for a future upper build. Oh and while you are at it, a lower is pretty cheap, why not tuck one of them away for a future build. I mean, building one AR-15 was fun when you weren't sure what you were doing. I bet building a second one when you DO know what you are doing is even more fun!

Same voice that is telling me to take advantage of the cabelas coupon I just got while some of the ammo I want is also on sale...because it isn't like it really goes bad, even if you just swore you had tons of ammo and didn't have the storage space. So I guess another ammo can is going to be ordered with that ammo.

:mad54:

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I don't think you let a great deal get away there.

Haven't priced them lately but $1700 sounds a bit stiff for an SP1, but I am not a Colt fanboy.

There is a collector culture building up around those things as well. While not as widespread as the mania of Garand collecting it is similar in its intensity of dorkdom with respect to having all the "correct" parts. Whatever. I can't get misty over a manufacturing company using up its floor sweepings from military contracts to build rifles for commercial sale.

If you can't get the theme from "SWAT" our of your head, consider doing a retro home build. I did that about 10 years ago with parts I had been accumulating for years prior to that. Not as cheap to do now, but far less than $1700. In the age of tacticool ACOG sighted M4ogeries, there is something to be said for the simplicity of that original 6.5lb death ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom