Does a 223/5.56 NATO lever rifle make any sense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Feast yo eyes on deeze.

maple 22.png

maple lvr.png

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like blonds.

Saw both in the Gun Center in Frederick not long ago. Both are in 22LR and on sale now too. The T-bolt is even more gorgeous than its pics. Was tempted to get it (at $660) but for that money, I'm probably going to go 22Mag instead. Same form factor and light weight, but a bit more capable. Probably should sell my Kimber 82G first.

Already have a grade 2, BL-22 in walnut (amazingly accurate off the irons), otherwise might have been tempted by the maple lever.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I don't own a single lever gun and I think a .223/5.56 caliber is a great idea!
    I also like not adding to my already too large selection of cartridge types.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had a Marlin 30-30 lever back in the '70s that I left with my brother when he got out of the Marines and I moved to Madison for college. ...

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/prod...rem-20-41-gloss-walnut-pistol-grip-stock-blue $882.56

image82496-a9e1e880b92c1a2243cab71be209fa5e.jpg

Btw, as a service to a fellow Wisconsin Badger, $810-820 from Sportsman's Guide or Grabagun ...

https://www.slickguns.com/search/ap...upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0&mobile=true

An IP can probably get under United Gun price as well and you wouldn't have the transfer fee.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting concept.
    Mini 14 would be on my list above this.

Are there any states where this would be an advantage?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Browning used to make a BLR in 222 Remington, so this sort of transition to 223 isn't too surprising.

They also make one in 308/7.62 but mag capacity is of course limited by the design.

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I've seen the Browning BLR mentioned as an alternative scout-type rifle. Long eye relief scope mounts are available, and the complete package should be reasonably light and handy.

There is also a takedown variant of the BLR which would make it even handier as a rather expensive truck gun.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    .223 Remington is not 5.56 MM. It is not safe to shoot 5.56 MM in a .223 chamber. But you could have the chamber reamed to work with 5.56 MM.

Good luck

Jerry

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Btw, as a service to a fellow Wisconsin Badger, $810-820 from Sportsman's Guide or Grabagun ...

https://www.slickguns.com/search/ap...upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0&mobile=true

An IP can probably get under United Gun price as well and you wouldn't have the transfer fee.

Thanks I appreciate the research.

I believe United is an IP here https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208

Thank all of you for the ideas and the feedback. I truly appreciate it. I'm going to keep researching these. I do like the lever guns.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Interesting concept.
    Mini 14 would be on my list above this.

Are there any states where this would be an advantage?

PA. That is probably it. You can't hunt with a semi-auto in PA. Can't recall if that covers rimfires or not, I don't think it does.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    This is exactly why I have a Remington 760 pump in 30-06, instead of the 742 semi.

OBTW - I Love it!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

got the same thing with a scope and a sling

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

figure where ever I'm at - I can get 30-06 and bolt or lever is not fast enough for me to get a second shot, yea I know yous guys don't need a second shot

:lol2:

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I have a lightweight blr in 223. Great farm gun. Decently accurate and quick handling. Shot lots of groundhogs and fox out to 300 yards.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I would think a .223/5.56 levergun would be neat, but not a good choice legally to hunt deer. 30-30 is a great medium game caliber. I would wonder the usefulness of a .223 levergun for hunting other game? Yotes and varmints, when a quick followup shot a often needed.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Yes. Kill them with the first shot. I just needed a refresher course. Lol. Those Brownings are some beautiful rifles. You wouldn't make a mistake getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom