• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Where did you get it?
    I would have to pull the barrel to get it on my lathe. If I do that I will re-barrel. But I still only want a 16.5" barrell for my 8mm pig carbine.

Pacific Tool and Gauge. 541-826-5808

You don't need to remove the barrel or use a lathe to use the chamfering tool.

A large tap handle will work.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you.
    I learned a lot.
    I may re-do it. It is far from perfect, and I have an idea for a better tool.
    :thumbsup: Yep - proof that you learned from it, because you are already coming up with ways that you could have done it differently, which would make it easier or better. Good on you!

tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    :thumbsup: Yep - proof that you learned from it, because you are already coming up with ways that you could have done it differently, which would make it easier or better. Good on you!

I had to laugh when I read that!
    That's how I roll.
    I'm more about learning and getting it right (doing it myself) than what I could have paid for something that I could have bought for less.
    I bet I'm not alone in that philosophy.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    barrel is too long for my lathe...

You have a lathe? Well, why didn't you say that! :) Make a piloted single flute cutter out of drill rod. Don't put anything spinning down in the barrel that touches the lands.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Charlie Maloney in Catonsville will do it for you and not overcharge. He's a former armorer with experience at First Army, Fort Meade, and he put in 11 years at Fulton Armory in Savage. Good man.

Lew--Ranger63

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had to laugh when I read that!
    That's how I roll.
    I'm more about learning and getting it right (doing it myself) than what I could have paid for something that I could have bought for less.
    I bet I'm not alone in that philosophy.
    Not by a long shot. One of my other hobbies is music, and to that end I play trumpet and drums. I decided I wanted to build my own snare drum, or at least kit it together from a shell and hardware sourced online, ostensibly so that I'd get a quality drum for less money than I'd have had to pay. By the time I'd sourced parts, the shell, and did a deep, hand-rubbed gloss lacquer, I didn't save a penny! LOL! There are drums that cost more, but if it had been about cost, I could have saved money by waiting for the right sale.

As it is, I use this drum all the time - it's my go-to snare drum. Aside from that though, I learned all kinds of things about what makes a snare drum tick, (edges, snare beds, etc) and I learned a ton about how to do thick, glossy lacquer finishes, but above that, I have the pride in knowing that I did it myself.

At some point down the road I'll probably wind up re-crowning a barrel, and this thread has given me some insight and inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom