• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    The rifle you have is a good candidate for whatever YOU want it to be. As I'm sure you're aware, in past decades when surplus Mausers as well as other ex-military rifles were plentiful and cheap, "sporterizing" them was a popular pursuit by both basement tinkerers and master gunsmiths. As would be expected, the respective results usually showed in the finished product.

That said, many gunsmiths of the second half of the previous century - real genuine professionals - started out with just such a project. Not at all unlike many master mechanics developing their interest by tinkering with their own car. The era of "self-taught" trades has passed. The ability for someone truly interested in learning to perform DIY work of a tradesman on his own property however is as relevant today as ever. Perhaps even more so with the easily available equipment, tools, supplies and most of all, knowledge, which the internet has made available.

Using the same analogy, just as many of what we'd today call "historic cars" (and motorcycles) were chopped and turned into abominations by backyard "customizers," today when the supply of surplus 20th century rifles is quickly drying up, they've become collectible in their original form. So much so that they're now worth more "as-is" than they could possibly be as a utilitarian working rifle and in many cases, even the fine rifles many were made into by GOOD gunsmiths. As a side note, all those original Mausers chopped and varnished in the 60's, 70's... have added considerably to the scarcity and hence the value of the originals that remain.:rolleyes:
    Sadly, the best of the originals were also the most desired for past conversion. So much so that a pristine Argie or pre-war kar98 sold for less (in adjusted dollars) in 1980 than a Yugo or Turk today! Oh and all those sweet little Mexican 7X57's... :drool:

...Anyway, you already know this. What you have has already passed the point of collectability - by current standards. Just as a backyard T-bucket project in 1970 ruined a perfectly good Ford, it is itself now a collectible! :cool: You can either sit on the rifle for another thirty years and sell it (if that's still possible) for a crazy amount of profit, or you can enjoy it today by pursuing YOUR own project. My vote is is for the latter... with the caveat that you take the time to learn to do it correctly, then apply that knowledge. :innocent0

Your rifle has great potential to be a handsome sporting arm. Most of the work needed to make the transformation can be performed with simple hand tools you may already have. It needn't be a "brush gun" or a "truck gun" or any of the other names usually used as an excuse for an ugly, poorly cared for rifle. If you're going to put the time in, why not make it something to be proud of instead of the equal of some abused $200 third-hand gunshop trade-in? In the process you will gain some very worthwhile knowledge applicable not only to "sporterizing" a mil-surp, but to virtually any firearm, as well as an appreciation for the genius of Paul Mauser. I look forward to following your progress.

So, how do you really feel?
    Actually, what you wrote really goes to the point of what I am doing.
    Thank you.
    TP

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    So, how do you really feel?
    Actually, what you wrote really goes to the point of what I am doing.
    Thank you.
    TP

Yeah, well...:rolleyes:
    I'm old school. Been there, done that. Rifles as built or used by men like Townsend Whelen, Elmer Keith, Finn Aagard and P.O. Akley on whose writings I grew up on, left an indelible high regard for fine sporting Mausers, many of which began life as utilitarian military rifles. Many guns of the preceding writers were Springfields as well as Mausers but let us not forget that the U.S. Government actually had to pay Mauser for the infringements the design made on his.
    I appreciate the classic martial arms in their original forms, but it is merely furniture and finish that separates them from fine sporting rifles. When an already altered (beyond restoration) survivor surfaces, I'm all for taking it the rest of the way to the poetry in steel and walnut it CAN be.:cool:

BTW - I'm also an advocate of classic chamberings. 8X57, 7X64, 6.5X55, 7X57, 9.3X62 all live in my house. I've had others including .270Win, 30-06 and even a not-so-classic .308 Win. for my wife and a .243Win. I used to use for groundhogs. All are as accurate as any off-the-shelf commercial rifle and prettier than most. ;)
    Of course, that's MY taste. The beauty in building a custom rifle is that it can be whatever YOU want it to be and to hell with whatever someone else thinks.:D

If I can be of help, just ask.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I changed directions. Not going for the carbine.
    I got a new barrel. It was so nice, I decided to build a bench rest target rifle.
    I know an 8mm platform doesn't make the best target rifle, but I am not going to shoot competition. I am going to shoot for myself and play with reloads until I get the best accuracy. Then I will work on long range shooting.

I just got it back from a gunsmith who set the head spacing for me.

The details of my build will follow soon.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Rebuilt%20Mauser_zpsdaghtqwq.jpg

The progress pictures are available on Photobucket.

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/ab320pilot/library/Custom Mauser?sort=2&page=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom