• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am doing it because I want to do the gunsmith work and to make a nice "brush" gun for boar hunting.
    The reason I brought it up was to help make the decision to either sell this one and buy a receiver group, or just use this one for my project.
    I want to use an 8mm Mauser for my project, but don't want to destroy one that has value. One thing about this gun is that the bore is very pitted.
    It came with a somewhat sporterized stock and no rear sight. I paid $30 for it at Woolwort's back in 1971.
    Oh, thanks for the welcome aboard.

Can it still take a bayonet? That's be a useful feature for a hog hunting rifle.

tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Can it still take a bayonet? That's be a useful feature for a hog hunting rifle.

No. The stock was cut down before I got it. I refinished it. I removed the rear sights (for a scope I never installed), but still have them. The front sights are there, but I didn't get them in the picture.

Now.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I am doing it because I want to do the gunsmith work and to make a nice "brush" gun for boar hunting.
    The reason I brought it up was to help make the decision to either sell this one and buy a receiver group, or just use this one for my project.
    I want to use an 8mm Mauser for my project, but don't want to destroy one that has value. One thing about this gun is that the bore is very pitted.
    It came with a somewhat sporterized stock and no rear sight. I paid $30 for it at Woolwort's back in 1971.
    Oh, thanks for the welcome aboard.

No historical value left in that piece.

Turn it into what ever you want.

8mm will put a hurt'in on a hog.

Chop on it all ya' want, it's already bubba'd.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Buy an FR-8. It's a K98 already cut down to carbine length. Rechambered in .308 and it has some pretty nice sights. Not sure about converting it to take a magazine but stripper clips are cheap.

the seem to be somewhat scarce these days.

They are scarce. I don't think anybody is going to sell one of these after they shoot it.

I bought my FR-8 to make into a scout rifle, complete with conversion to take HK/CETME mags. After I shot it a couple of times, I just couldn't do it.

I have since overcome the urge to Bubba. Although you could argue that the FR-8 is pre-Bubba-ed.

The first time I ever heard of an FR-8 was when a friend of mine bought one from Zayre, in the mid/late '80s.
    He paid $94.00 for it.
    He only shot it a couple of times, and then it became a wallhanger, over his fireplace.

I've looked and looked and looked for one. The ones I have always seen were nearing $800.00.
    One guy at a gunshow in Frederick, wanted $1200 for a matched pair (consecutive serial numbers).
    I wasn't paying that much.

A couple of years ago, my friend offered it to me.
    I gladly paid the $300 he asked.

I've thought about having the stock relieved and the bolt handle turned down.

???? :shrug: ????

And yes, it is a hoot to shoot!!!!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The first time I ever heard of an FR-8 was when a friend of mine bought one from Zayre, in the mid/late '80s.
    He paid $94.00 for it.

I wonder if there will ever be another wholesale place on perceived "junk" like Zayers or Roses? I think they're gone forever.... retail stores = top prices, mail order... mostly junk BUT still can be had.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the mid '80s , $94 probably was top dollar for one. Probably could have ordered one for $70 .

But meanwhile , how does it shoot in current status ? If accuraccy is acceptable , procede with the shortening. If not , procede directly to rebarelling.

[ I almost commented on how I'd procede with this project , but restrained myself ]

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    He paid $94.00 for it.
    He only shot it a couple of times, and then it became a wallhanger, over his fireplace.

I've looked and looked and looked for one. The ones I have always seen were nearing $800.00.
    One guy at a gunshow in Frederick, wanted $1200 for a matched pair (consecutive serial numbers).
    I wasn't paying that much.

A couple of years ago, my friend offered it to me.
    I gladly paid the $300 he asked.

I've thought about having the stock relieved and the bolt handle turned down.

???? :shrug: ????

And yes, it is a hoot to shoot!!!!

It wasn't an FR-8 to begin with. It was an M43, I believe. The stock was cut down when I got it, but the barrel was over 600mm long.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Back in the mid '80s , $94 probably was top dollar for one. Probably could have ordered one for $70 .

But meanwhile , how does it shoot in current status ? If accuraccy is acceptable , procede with the shortening. If not , procede directly to rebarelling.

[ I almost commented on how I'd procede with this project , but restrained myself ]

Pretty accurate, though never had a scope on it. I am going to build it with the original barrel, cut down. If it is not accurate, I will re-barrel with a contour. I will keep 8mm, I think, not completely certain. I already have a Tikka T3 .308. So if I change calibers, I don't know where I will go. Maybe 7mm Mag.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Pretty accurate, though never had a scope on it. I am going to build it with the original barrel, cut down. If it is not accurate, I will re-barrel with a contour. I will keep 8mm, I think, not completely certain. I already have a Tikka T3 .308. So if I change calibers, I don't know where I will go. Maybe 7mm Mag.

.30-'06 is a good caliber choice for that action.
    I've heard of .338 WinMag barrels being installed with little to no alteration of the bolt.

.338 Federal would be a nice, compact 'thumper'.

Give me a minute to crawl under the table, before I say that I have thought about converting my AR41 K98k Mauser to .338 Federal. (I don't want to get hit by any flying bricks, or get burned from the flames.)
    It is a RC (Russian Capture) and all of the marks have been peened, heavily.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    .30-'06 is a good caliber choice for that action.
    I've heard of .338 WinMag barrels being installed with little to no alteration of the bolt.

.338 Federal would be a nice, compact 'thumper'.

Give me a minute to crawl under the table, before I say that I have thought about converting my AR41 K98k Mauser to .338 Federal. (I don't want to get hit by any flying bricks, or get burned from the flames.)
    It is a RC (Russian Capture) and all of the marks have been peened, heavily.

I'll take a look at the .338.
    I have a 7mm08 and a .308. No need to duplicate!

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I have decided to go all the way with this project. I am possibly going to replace the barrel. That will be determined later.
    I am collecting tools right now.
    I am also working on the receiver to true it up and drill for scope mounts.
    The conversion for a 10 round removable magazine is going on on the side with a triggerguard I found on eBay. I will be able to use either triggerguard so I will have the original internal 5 round magazine or the removable 10 round mag.
    I am having fun and I will have a very unique rifle when I am done.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Here are some pictures of the magazine conversion.

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

It will require a small amount of cutting and welding.

TP

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    The rifle you have is a good candidate for whatever YOU want it to be. As I'm sure you're aware, in past decades when surplus Mausers as well as other ex-military rifles were plentiful and cheap, "sporterizing" them was a popular pursuit by both basement tinkerers and master gunsmiths. As would be expected, the respective results usually showed in the finished product.

That said, many gunsmiths of the second half of the previous century - real genuine professionals - started out with just such a project. Not at all unlike many master mechanics developing their interest by tinkering with their own car. The era of "self-taught" trades has passed. The ability for someone truly interested in learning to perform DIY work of a tradesman on his own property however is as relevant today as ever. Perhaps even more so with the easily available equipment, tools, supplies and most of all, knowledge, which the internet has made available.

Using the same analogy, just as many of what we'd today call "historic cars" (and motorcycles) were chopped and turned into abominations by backyard "customizers," today when the supply of surplus 20th century rifles is quickly drying up, they've become collectible in their original form. So much so that they're now worth more "as-is" than they could possibly be as a utilitarian working rifle and in many cases, even the fine rifles many were made into by GOOD gunsmiths. As a side note, all those original Mausers chopped and varnished in the 60's, 70's... have added considerably to the scarcity and hence the value of the originals that remain.:rolleyes:
    Sadly, the best of the originals were also the most desired for past conversion. So much so that a pristine Argie or pre-war kar98 sold for less (in adjusted dollars) in 1980 than a Yugo or Turk today! Oh and all those sweet little Mexican 7X57's... :drool:

...Anyway, you already know this. What you have has already passed the point of collectability - by current standards. Just as a backyard T-bucket project in 1970 ruined a perfectly good Ford, it is itself now a collectible! :cool: You can either sit on the rifle for another thirty years and sell it (if that's still possible) for a crazy amount of profit, or you can enjoy it today by pursuing YOUR own project. My vote is is for the latter... with the caveat that you take the time to learn to do it correctly, then apply that knowledge. :innocent0

Your rifle has great potential to be a handsome sporting arm. Most of the work needed to make the transformation can be performed with simple hand tools you may already have. It needn't be a "brush gun" or a "truck gun" or any of the other names usually used as an excuse for an ugly, poorly cared for rifle. If you're going to put the time in, why not make it something to be proud of instead of the equal of some abused $200 third-hand gunshop trade-in? In the process you will gain some very worthwhile knowledge applicable not only to "sporterizing" a mil-surp, but to virtually any firearm, as well as an appreciation for the genius of Paul Mauser. I look forward to following your progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom