• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Made summer sausage out the deer doe I killed on the last day of gun season (had about 15-20 pounds of steaks too). 28 pounds (about 8 pounds of that was pork shoulder). I was going to cook it at 180F in the oven tonight.

Is there any real advantage smoking them? i.e., will any of the smoke flavor permeate the fibrous casing? Its more than will fit in my smoker, and would require at least two runs.

Attachments

• IMG-6382.jpg
      IMG-6382.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 79

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Is there any real advantage smoking them? i.e., will any of the smoke flavor permeate the fibrous casing? Its more than will fit in my smoker, and would require at least two runs.

YES!! If you like smoke flavor. It will penetrate the casing but not as heavy as straight meat.

I was just eating some of my cure goose pastrami and I smoke that low and slow before finishing it. I also smoke in a smokehouse, which would be like you having meat in a fireplace chimney. but "I love smoke" flavor on everything. My daughter and I would rather eat the smoked goose over bologna becuase we like the smoke taste better than the spices in the bologna. My wife says its too smokey. :rolleyes:

I make bologna at 13 -14% and per my calcs you are about 9% so i'd like to hear if its dry or more meaty. Keep the smoker under 180 and go for the long haul. Use a probe for IT and if you get 145° for 10 to 15 minutes that is plenty. Longer is better to make sure they all get there. Just don;t go high with the smoker temp or your get fat on the casing called fat out and then its dry summer sausage. Been there, done that.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Ran 'em all in the oven last night at about 180 till they were a little over 165 inside. I wonder if they'd pick up and smoke flavor if I ran some of them again in the smoker this weekend?

Since this was my first stab at summer sausage, I used a LEM seasoning kit. It's a little saltier that I would expect, but still damn good. I also added hi-temp cheese.

Yes, very meaty....

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 59

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    If you ran them again you are going to have to cold smoke and I have never smoked cooked meat. Using the heat again will dry them out. It is not dry or crumbly, then you are ok.

Now you have an excuse to , .. Make more!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Made summer sausage out the deer doe I killed on the last day of gun season (had about 15-20 pounds of steaks too). 28 pounds (about 8 pounds of that was pork shoulder). I was going to cook it at 180F in the oven tonight.

yes it does go through the casing. I use a high mountain seasonings kit that works great. I just use the smaller casings "1.5" perfect for putting on a ritz cracker with some pepper jack cheese ;)

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I just went to the butcher and got 4# of pig fat and 5# of pork butt. I am going to make Braunschweiger again (15#), half boiled for my In-laws and half smoked. I am also going to explore two raw chorizo recipes just in pork for later use in venison, if we like them.

I thought about hunting but all this rain and cold Monday, I said "to the smokehouse!" Its deer cooking time now, hunting is just about over.

I wanted to build an oven, but may end up growing cornish X birds this summer and that be my experimentation. We built a chicken plucker, but the 1/8hp motor was not strong enough and trying to find another motor in 1/2hp to run it at a decent price and 1725 rpm. I have found 3600's but figured they would rip the skin right off. :D

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I used a LEM seasoning kit. It's a little saltier that I would expect, but still damn good.

This is exactly why I use recipes and not kits. I can alter the recipe and adjust as our tastes see fit. Many do use too much salt and aside from ading to them, you can't change them. That said, I have made from weak recipes, try them in small batches. I have copied raved about recipes and was like, WTF, the dogs going to eat well. One raved about online, I just call #2 as it was a trial batch. I just thought it was plain summer sausage, very plain and nothing special. You need cheese with the cracker to make it good. :D

From recipes I have changes to using Pink curing salt and salt, vs. using tenderquick. I like Tenderquick, but the salt can over power milder recipes. Pink cure add the nitrates for bacteria killing and salt for flavor still, not for curing.

I have tried three Jalapeno and cheese summer sausage and didn't like one yet. I tried using jar jalapeno as a recipe said and I think the caspian they add for heat spreads throughout like a nasty twang. I have 14oz of home grown diced jalapeno to try it again, if anyone has suggestions???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom