• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Well a few weeks ago me and a family member had a long discussion of if carrying a firearm concealed and leaving printing thru clothing was beneficial or not? One thought was that if they didn't know you had a firearm are they likely? In Maryland the are taking laws on there side and most likely not "legally" carrying a firearm. Are you more likely to be a victim of a crime if you are or aren't showing a sign on personal protection while legally carrying and printing in a free state. One opinion was if you aren't showing then they are going to get a surprise them self. But on the other hand is printing a firearm a deterrent it self? If you were already a target now you are more venerable but you were to begin with for whatever reason being singled out.
    So if you lived in a free state or travel to them with a ccw that is valid there and printing a firearm arm without open carry would you or would you not?
    Please try to keep this open mind with opinion and facts. Not turn it into a bash fest on either side.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Ask yourself how often you walk around staring at people's waists, then remember most people look at faces. Then if you carry appendix its very rare for most people to stare at others crotches, (I get looks of amazement from the wimminz and looks of jealous from men so I'm used to it but that's outside most peoples experience). Then ask yourself if Thugalicous is going to be staring you down with binoculars looking for signs etc.

It's neother good nor bad, but printing can get you a MWAG call which could end painfully. Solution? Don't print and practice drawing and shooting from concealment.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    There is no valid reason to print. If you are printing, I know that you have a gun and your shirt is so tight that you can't draw that gun quickly. You do not know that I know that you have a gun. If I have nefarious intent, your advertising gave me all the advantages.

Yes, I carry and yes I do look for concealed weapons on other people.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    The vast majority of the people you'll encounter in MD won't spot your "printing" handgun. If they see it and recognize it, they'll think you're probably a cop, because permits are so "rare."

If you're printing, you're "causing undue apprehension of danger" to the general public and could have your permit revoked.

That being said. I try not to print. I always look for concealed weapons on people too. I look for tells like specific arm movements.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    That's all the discussion I was try to arise but is there any really benefit to printing that your common joe looking to mug an innocent person that recognizing such a thing would prevent them from doing so because this isn't an easy target like most everyday criminal is looking for?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's all the discussion I was try to arise but is there any really benefit to printing that your common joe looking to mug an innocent person that recognizing such a thing would prevent them from doing so because this isn't an easy target like most everyday criminal is looking for?

I can't envision any. Again, it actually makes things simpler. Instead of having to wonder if a target is armed, a mugger knows they are and where it is. Helps them plan a better attack.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If you have permit in the State of Maryland while it is not a concealed carry permit, it is a "Wear Carry" some may say that is a permit to carry any way you want. MSP have stated that if you while carrying causes the public distress (easy these days) that could be reason to revoke your permit. I carry and conceal the best I can as I don't want anybody to know (I figure that gives me the one up). It's very simple to modify one's dress to no print vs print. I have carried since 1980 and have never been stopped and searched for weapons even LEO don't know. In this state it's regular pain in the a$% to carry. I have a PA permit and no one cares if you print or not as most who carry do print in the keystone state. It's nice to be in a State that trusts it's citizens to do the right thing instead of the c#$% we get from Annapolis. Chris

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    That's why yes I live in Maryland but was trying keep it here's. And above every crime is planned out to the minute and isn't made on a go/ no go decision on the criminal on what they see at the moment and is this easy?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, having been around folks that carry concealed in Maryland, an o print based on how they dress. NO ONE NOTICES OR EVEN CARES. So why worry about it?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Knowledge is power....I wouldn't want to give a bad guy any knowledge or power. Don't print, but don't go crazy worrying about a little, maybe, kinda, bump ether.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Multiple statements :

1. No particular advantage to printing on purpose.
    If *you felt there was advantage to having your armed status readily visable, no point to taking a chance about being too subtle and having it overlooked when it want it know. Just OC in that case.

2. Unless you are being blatently stupid about it, subtle bulges or extranous wrinkles usually aren't noticed, or are presumed to be somthing else, like smart phone, multitool, etc.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So, having been around folks that carry concealed in Maryland, an o print based on how they dress. NO ONE NOTICES OR EVEN CARES. So why worry about it?

That's how I feel about it. I'm in Utah right now and have been carrying all weekend. Haven't caught a single suspicious look.
    Everyone may as well be carrying.

That said, I do check myself for print in the mirror like an overly self-conscious teenage girl on her prom night, lol.

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    I do not have a Maryland carry permit. I'm waiting on my Utah NR. I do have a concealment holster that i wear in MD with a rings blue gun in it to train myself. i try to have no printing once so ever. while in stores i feel very out of place bending over close to the ground to grab things. Once i get the hang of it I will still be overly cautious about printing. The less someone knows the better.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I do not have a Maryland carry permit. I'm waiting on my Utah NR. I do have a concealment holster that i wear in MD with a rings blue gun in it to train myself. i try to have no printing once so ever. while in stores i feel very out of place bending over close to the ground to grab things. Once i get the hang of it I will still be overly cautious about printing. The less someone knows the better.

so um, don't bend over to grab stuff, drop down from the knees and turn in the direction that would not compromise your carry condition. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom