• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Maryland State Police has just clarified the 7-day waiting period for regulated firearms. It appears that we now have to calculate Sundays and legal holidays into the equation. We will do our best to make this change as easy as possible.

From MSP Bulletin LD-FRU-16-001 (link below):

Seven-Day Waiting Period - A regulated firearm may not be transferred until after seven days have elapsed from the time an application was forwarded to the Firearms Registration Unit. If the seventh day of the seven-day waiting period falls on a Sunday or legal holiday, the computation period shall be extended to the next following day, which is neither a Sunday nor a legal holiday.

Example: If an application is forwarded on Monday, the seventh day falls on Sunday; therefore the computation period shall be extended to Monday and the firearm cannot be legally transferred until Tuesday. If Sunday is the seventh day and Monday is a legal holiday, the computation period shall be extended to Tuesday and the firearm cannot be legally transferred until Wednesday.

http://content.govdelivery.com/atta...+Notification+of+Seven-Day+Waiting+Period.pdf

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    When I did our dealer orientation 3 years ago, it was explained to me by MSP that if you do paperwork on Monday, you pick up on the following Monday. We've submitted thousands of applications since we opened with all of them being that way. Apparently, I was told incorrectly by a Corporal from MSP... LOL

--Chuck

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have always thought the 7/8 day wait is a joke. After all once you own a firearm what difference does a 7 day wait matter. It's not like it is functioning as a "cooling off period" but as a delay of our rights.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I know some dealers calculate the 7 days as not including Sundays or holidays, but you'd think that after over a thousand applications, someone from MSP would have told us that we were doing it wrong...LOL

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    so it is the 8th day. Need to complete the 7th day that is not a weekend or holiday. SMH..

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Local dealers are making me wait 7 days for a complete AR lower with stock.

I can understand a stripped lower that can be built into a pistol, but a lower with a stock can only be built as a rifle when it is transfered as such.

Md laws are clear as mud.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    COMAR doesn't mention Sundays or holidays, so I don't know where this information came from. I don't think we'll rock that boat and make waves over it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I don't know why they had to clarify it.

Does anyone read the actual back of the forms they sign? It is spelled out on the back of the form.

This should all honestly be electronic and done same day. Or even better just do a NICS like normal states. This 7 or 8 or I guess depending 9 day wait is stupid.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I don't know why they had to clarify it.

Does anyone read the actual back of the forms they sign? It is spelled out on the back of the form.

This should all honestly be electronic and done same day. Or even better just do a NICS like normal states. This 7 or 8 or I guess depending 9 day wait is stupid.

So if it's on the form it must be true? The last I checked, government agencies cannot change the law. The legislature can change it by amending or repealing it, but agencies cannot just make things up. This is one of the biggest issues in government today. Just because a government agency says it does not make it the law. The law is as the law was written.

I heard from MSP last year that they were working on an electronic version of the 77R, but that's all I heard about it.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Don't relax too soon... Next it'll be only counting "Business days"

Or, they'll only count the day of the week we submit your application to them. That would change the law to be an 8-week waiting period...LOL

Oh, wait. They can't change the law. Oh, wait. They just did with this "clarification".

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've kind of always understood it this way. But the clarification does clear one thing up. They mention the 7th day being Sunday if paperwork was done on a monday.
    I've experienced two things. Paperwork Wednesday, pick up Wednesday. Or paperwork Wednesday, pick up Thursday. This new msp letter makes it quite clear the it should actually be paperwork wednesday, pickup tuesday.

;)

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    So we wait 7 to 9 days depending on the weekend or holiday?? I think its nice there are dealers willing to release them. Many wait until the MSP is done their review regardless of the time they take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom