• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Voting for governor in this state is like deciding what arm you want cut off.:sad20:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Voting for governor in this state is like deciding what arm you want cut off.:sad20:

Cut off the evil one... :D

tumblr_o0d6bfhP0s1rkhikqo1_500.jpg

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The left has a lot more voters in this area, as in so many similar areas. That drives everything. Many of them are focused on single topics, but most are more interested in broad political control, not obsessed about single things. They collect enough people under that umbrella to keep their politicians in office. Simple.

To the extent we want any influence whatsoever (even if just the ability to introduce legislation or speak out against it in hearings), we need to at least have some seats in a state where we know we will never win in a straight-up legislative vote, ever. Purity tests that throw out people who might be able to do SOME actually workable push-back against and containment of the Dem majority, and then try instead to elect people who pass the one-note purity test but - because they are unelectable a la, say, Judge Moore, because they're unable to appeal to a wider group of voters - end up giving the seat away to Dems ... that's politically suicidal.

From what I can tell, you're all about purity tests, even if being satisfied that you've forced that test, you know you're giving more seats away to the party that's guaranteed to act against your preferences on every single topic, always. Assuming you have any other topics that are dear to you. I also run businesses in this state. I pay huge taxes and face high overhead (would you like to try running your business in lower MoCo? No? I understand). I face crazy regulatory burdens and insane administrative paperwork requirements. I think about all of that, and know that anything that would give Dems more seats because I unable to vote for a a GOP candidate that didn't dance to my tune perfectly on one topic would make things WORSE.

By our bylaws and under Section 501(c)(4), MSI is absolutely non-partisan and we don’t and can’t endorse candidates. We have allies (sorta) in both parties. And we don’t tell anyone what to do. We just look at whether a person will help or hurt the cause of civil rights. But that’s not a black or white, either/or question. There is a continuum. So in each election, folks may want to compare where the candidates in either party fall on that continuum and vote for the most pro-civil rights candidate on that slate, both in the primaries and in the general elections. Voting is crucial. Absolutely crucial. Throwing up your hands and walking away from the process entirely just makes it easier for our opponents. Sending money to your favored candidate helps too. In doing so, please don’t apply a purity test. Believe me when I say that it will make my life FAR easier in Annapolis if I am talking with someone whose mind is at least open. I can’t persuade an ideologue or a brick wall. I can’t even get into the room. All I can do is sue them and only then when they are way over the line. Lawsuits are a very expensive and a very long and drawn out process in which success is hardly guaranteed. So, yes, it can very definitely get worse. Something to chew on.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Remember too that not everyone here is an MSI member. Some are, some aren't.

I think it's a very fine line with what Occam is talking about. Perfect is the enemy of good and we have seen TOO MANY TIMES that play out with people like Judge Moore, but there is also another aspect to it. When do you primary someone who's voting record is soo muddled that it's hard to really say they are a friend anymore? We don't want to throw good seats away, but we also don't want people who feel that "Hey, I can do whatever I want because anyone they primary me with is 100x times worse, so I'll become 10x worse because 10x worse is still better than 100x worse."

We don't want to primary a good Representative because we only agreed with them 90% of the time, but we also don't want representatives who aren't afraid of not being re-elected either.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    Hogan is the only Maryland Republican with a chance to win the next election for Governor. If you want a Democrat next time around, don't vote for him.

If you want the Democrats to continue their gerrymandering, don't vote for Hogan. He gets to redistrict the State if he wins.

It is that simple.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Hogan is the only Maryland Republican with a chance to win the next election for Governor. If you want a Democrat next time around, don't vote for him.

If you want the Democrats to continue their gerrymandering, don't vote for Hogan. He gets to redistrict the State if he wins.

It is that simple.

The next governor gets to give mike and mike his version of a redistricting map. They don’t have to accept it then someone has to sue the state, so what hogan would get if re-elected is a chance to submit such a map that mike and mike get to look at and if they feel like it......

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    The next governor gets to give mike and mike his version of a redistricting map. They don’t have to accept it then someone has to sue the state, so what hogan would get if re-elected is a chance to submit such a map that mike and mike get to look at and if they feel like it......

This ^^^^^Just because Hogan gets reelected doesn't mean the gerrymandering will be even remotely fixed, in fact with all the effect they put into it unless the courts demand a change the mikes will likely not change it for the better if at all. And there will be little that hogan can do about it, they saw to that when writing it.

Food for thought.

rkutzner

Jul 5, 2013
    After watching his bestest buddy Sue Krebs in Carroll County vote YEA for 1302 I can only consider them SWAMP. Justin Ready and few others voted NO, the rest need replaced. If there is even a choice left in the FREE STATE.

Attachments

• Red Flag Vote 1302.png
      Red Flag Vote 1302.png
      41.2 KB · Views: 410

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Kinda sounds like the 1-200 folks that have been allowed to get thru the hgrb scheme and those business owners with enough time and money to get thru it also don’t care if we have a pro 2a governor or mga as long as they got theirs

Has joe the ditch digger gotten his unrestricted permit with self defense yet? Oh that’s right, no permit for those who don’t fit the scheme.

Y’all are right, let’s bitch at the folks who want a pro 2a governor on a pro 2a forum.

If Hogan signs the bill with new rules, the HPRB will be nothing but a show trial. Hell, MSP doesn't even have to show up. It doesn't rescind their right to have it reheard with an ALJ.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    After watching his bestest buddy Sue Krebs in Carroll County vote YEA for 1302 I can only consider them SWAMP. Justin Ready and few others voted NO, the rest need replaced. If there is even a choice left in the FREE STATE.

FWIW, That's the first vote out of the House on the initial House bill. They say they didn't understand the bill. Quite possible, as the House committee completely rewrote the bill secretly and the House leadership pushed it through very fast. Frankly, it caught a lot of us looking the other way. Our opponents are sneaky and underhanded and play by their own rules. House members were then educated. Here is the second vote after it was amended in the Senate to be far less onerous (still God Awful -- the initial House version was just far worse). On the final bill (as amended in the Senate), the House vote was 93 to 46, with four Republicans voting for the bill. Those four were Delegate Kathy Afzali (District 4, Frederick and Carroll Counties), Delegate Chris West, (District 42B, Baltimore County), Delegate Susan L. M. Auman, (District 42B, Baltimore County) and Delegate Robert L. Flanagan, (District 9B, Howard County). All other Republicans voted "NO." Note the switch (including Sue Krebs). Led by Judicial Proceedings Committee members, Senators Hough, Ready, Cassilly and Senator Linda Norman, nearly every Senate Republican stood with us on HB 1302, after it emerged from Committee. Senator Mathias, a Democrat, also voted "NO." The only Republican exception was Senator Reilly District 33, Anne Arundel County. Politicians make mistakes all the time. These Delegates sought to redeem themselves the second time around. Folks can come to their own conclusions whether to set aside the initial vote. I have. It is more than fair to hold everyone to account for their final votes.

Attachments

• Final House Vote.pdf
      34.7 KB · Views: 120
    • Final Senate Vote.pdf
      120.5 KB · Views: 127

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    FWIW, That's the first vote out of the House on the initial House bill. They say they didn't understand the bill. Quite possible, as the House committee completely rewrote the bill secretly and the House leadership pushed it through very fast. Frankly, it caught a lot of us looking the other way. Our opponents are sneaky and underhanded and play by their own rules. House members were then educated. Here is the second vote after it was amended in the Senate to be far less onerous (still God Awful -- the initial House version was just far worse). On the final bill (as amended in the Senate), the House vote was 93 to 46, with four Republicans voting for the bill. Those four were Delegate Kathy Afzali (District 4, Frederick and Carroll Counties), Delegate Chris West, (District 42B, Baltimore County), Delegate Susan L. M. Auman, (District 42B, Baltimore County) and Delegate Robert L. Flanagan, (District 9B, Howard County). All other Republicans voted "NO." Note the switch (including Sue Krebs). Led by Judicial Proceedings Committee members, Senators Hough, Ready, Cassilly and Senator Linda Norman, nearly every Senate Republican stood with us on HB 1302, after it emerged from Committee. Senator Mathias, a Democrat, also voted "NO." The only Republican exception was Senator Reilly District 33, Anne Arundel County. Politicians make mistakes all the time. These Delegates sought to redeem themselves the second time around. Folks can come to their own conclusions whether to set aside the initial vote. I have. It is more than fair to hold everyone to account for their final votes.

Yeah, imo, they only changed their votes after having their ass handed back to them via their constituents. All of a sudden their minds change when they get scared of losing a lot of votes...

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yeah, imo, they only changed their votes after having their ass handed back to them via their constituents. All of a sudden their minds change when they get scared of losing a lot of votes...

Perhaps so. That's life as a politician. They are all guilty of being politicians (by definition - they run for political office). Frankly, it is not a job I would want.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Perhaps so. That's life as a politician. They are all guilty of being politicians (by definition - they run for political office). Frankly, it is not a job I would want.

They don’t just want that job, they spend money and campaign to get it. And imo it’s just so they can put themselves in a position to make even more money by being in front of and involved in things to make even more money than their job pays

Term limits would help a lot in this regard

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Also, Delegate David Vogt (R-4th District -Carroll/Frederick)

On the final bill (as amended in the Senate), the House vote was 93 to 46, with four Republicans voting for the bill. Those four were Delegate Kathy Afzali (District 4, Frederick and Carroll Counties), Delegate Chris West, (District 42B, Baltimore County), Delegate Susan L. M. Auman, (District 42B, Baltimore County) and Delegate Robert L. Flanagan, (District 9B, Howard County). All other Republicans voted "NO."

Republican Delegate David Vogt (District 4, Carroll & Frederick) also voted for HB 1302 on that final roll call, so that is five House Republicans voting for the final bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom