• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I built an OCW load for my 22-250 with a 1:10 twist using a 55gr bullet and 39gr of imr4350. 39gr is the max charge for this bullet and at first there were no issues...

now, i'm seeing primers that are starting to flatten. It's not all the time but clearly more than i anticipated or have experienced before.

I'm thinking of dialing it back a bit (about 6%) and finding the lower OCW or just going with a different powder all together while staying w/in the IMR family with a 55gr bullet.

55gr is choice for me because i have other 224 diameter firearms and don't want a collection of weights around. so the bullet weight is set unless there's some magical unicorn kind of load.

so.. now that you konw whats up... i have a couple questions, opinions are welcome but prefer them w/ supporting artifacts or something.

1. is an occasional semi-flat primer tolerable? if not, at what point would you consider it not-tolerable?

2. anyone have a pet load for a 1:10 twist 22-250 using IMR powder, preferably between 52 and 60gr.. 55 is best but others are acceptable. the POU of the round will be groundhogs and plinking out to 550yards.

A little wind is fine because it'll teach me to read the wind but i don't want it so sensitive that a gnat fart will blow it off target.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A charge weight that was previously safe, but now shows high pressures, can be due to the local temperature increases (I got away from IMR powders due to temp sensitivity), or, it can be due to a buildup of hard carbon in the rifle throat.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    A charge weight that was previously safe, but now shows high pressures, can be due to the local temperature increases (I got away from IMR powders due to temp sensitivity), or, it can be due to a buildup of hard carbon in the rifle throat.

Interesting. yes the temp has risen a solid 20-30 degrees since the load was done. Previous testing for other calibers was done in summer so i never saw this.

I might be looking for a change in powder... what do you have in mind that's not temp sensitive?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Perhaps they aren't as flat as i thought and i'm paranoid/playing it super safe?

I looked at 27 factory loads (Hornady Varmint express) and some of those are what i would consider "flattening" primers much like my own load... i wonder if i'm looking too close. i dont normaly load on the higher end of load specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom