• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dustin0308

Mar 9, 2017
    Westminster
    I know that MD is looking to ban guns without serial number and 3D printed guns. But as the laws currently stand, is buying something like this illegal in MD?

https://ghostgunner.net/

If this has already been asked before, please excuse me asking again. I have built an AR15 a couple of years ago and am familiar with how the laws were then (HBAR, required lengths, etc). I just can’t seem to find anything that says this mini CNC machine would be considered illegal. I am aware that nobody is a lawyer, just looking to see if there is anything that says it isn’t ok under current law. All it does it complete an 80% lower, nothing more.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I found the thread for HB740 after digging a little further and am now up to date. Will be holding off on buying anything like this until I see where that goes.

Last edited:

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    Coming from a fellow noob on here I would suggest going and introducing yourself at the introductions page. It's the status quo and pretty much the polite thing to do. I ruffled feathers but everything is gucci now.

Just my $.02

But welcome!!

Dustin0308

Mar 9, 2017
    Westminster
    Coming from a fellow noob on here I would suggest going and introducing yourself at the introductions page. It's the status quo and pretty much the polite thing to do. I ruffled feathers but everything is gucci now.

Just my $.02

But welcome!!

Thanks for the advice. I have now done that. Don’t wanna ruffle any feathers. Just another pro 2a guy who likes to stay up to date.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Welcome.
    These kind of threads always go sideways. If it's legal to buy and own now it's legal. Who know's about the future.
    Question- .40 or 9mm which is better. :D (joke)

Dustin0308

Mar 9, 2017
    Westminster
    Welcome.
    These kind of threads always go sideways. If it's legal to buy and own now it's legal. Who know's about the future.
    Question- .40 or 9mm which is better. :D (joke)

Yea I saw that it is legal under current law after further research. Just had to figure out how to navigate the forum more efficiently. Unfortunately it may not be legal very soon. I also noticed HB740 doesnt seem to have a grandfather clause which is believable (bc it’s MD) but is totally ridiculous. And between those two...neither...I’d choose a .45 lol

Own a .45 right now but plan to own a .40 and 9mm soon.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    EDIT: I found the thread for HB740 after digging a little further and am now up to date. Will be holding off on buying anything like this until I see where that goes.

IMHO a ghost gunner is an over sensationalized one trick pony that's very expensive for that one trick. Jigs are cheaper and much more cost effective. A decent used manual mill can be had for less than the GG and gives tons of actual uses.

Heck, I showed my son how to use a razor sharp wood chisel to finish most of his poly 80. That, the jig and a couple drill bits and he was in business.

Dustin0308

Mar 9, 2017
    Westminster
    IMHO a ghost gunner is an over sensationalized one trick pony that's very expensive for that one trick. Jigs are cheaper and much more cost effective. A decent used manual mill can be had for less than the GG and gives tons of actual uses.

Heck, I showed my son how to use a razor sharp wood chisel to finish most of his poly 80. That, the jig and a couple drill bits and he was in business.

Yea that’s how I did my first build a few years ago. I was going to go in on it with my brothers so the cost overall was a few hundred dollars per person which was worth it to me. But guess I’ll be sticking to DIY way for now. No biggie. Thanks for the reply tho. Much appreciated.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A GG can accept g-code. It can cnc near anything you can think up that fits its work envelope. Not really much different than a cnc'ed Sieg/micromill. It has other uses.

MackieG

Mar 21, 2019
    Southern MD
    Not a lawyer but since it's just a CNC machine, it's not illegal.

HB740
    "FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from transporting into the State a certain firearm
    5 that is not imprinted with a certain serial number or manufacturing, possessing,
    6 selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a certain firearm that
    7 is not imprinted with a certain serial number; prohibiting a person from using a
    8 certain computer–aided fabrication device to manufacture a certain firearm;
    9 prohibiting a person from possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring,
    10 purchasing, or receiving a certain firearm manufactured using a certain
    11 computer–aided fabrication device; establishing certain exceptions to certain
    12 prohibitions established under this Act; establishing certain penalties; defining
    13 certain terms; and generally relating to firearms."

It's built off an Arduino board which is an open source computer. That can be used for anything.

It seems like the only thing that the bill would deem illegal would be the software and design files (if the bill goes through) "computer–aided fabrication device" but they don't define what that is. They define what a computer is in the bill but it's a catch all for all computers. What it sounds like to me, since almost any computer can download and run their software, Maryland would essentially have to ban all computers LOL.

If you just got a router and scribble a number on an 80% before milling then you'd technically be milling a serialized firearm without the aid of a computer. Problem solved! Not breaking any laws!

Not a lawyer.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If you just got a router and scribble a number on an 80% before milling then you'd technically be milling a serialized firearm without the aid of a computer. Problem solved! Not breaking any laws!

Not a lawyer.

If you're talking about the draconian bill in front the MGA now, its not that YOU can scribble anything, its a licensed manufacturer that has to scribble anything - FFL07.

Unless you want to go through the hassle of FFL07 + zoning + possible ITAR registration, etc., the bill, as written, will not allow CNC to finish an 80%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom