• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, I've been getting that dangerous itch of "new project gun". MSP seems to say AK74s are okay. In addition SBR AK47s are GTG.

I saw that Mid Atlantic has a variety of bare receivers. I assume that installing a barrel in to an AK47 or AK74 receiver is a gunsmith job. Any ideas what that typically runs for cost?

Just toying with the idea of picking up a receiver and down the road either making a 14.7" SBR AK-47 (obv applying for tax stamp first) or a 16" 74.

Next question that is maybe a stumper. If I have a gunsmith install the barrel in to the receiver, does that make them or me the manufacturer of an SBR even if I assemble the rest of the rifle (IE do I need to file a form 1 or a 4 and what complications does that make for finding a gunsmith)?

Thanks!

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    My understanding is that you don't have to do everything yourself, as long as you did something in the process.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I pretty sure if you complete the receiver. Then engrave and apply for your stamp. after you receive the stamp i don't think it matters who does what at that point. If that wrong someone will correct me :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ouch. I guess not totally unexpected on costs. Le sigh.

One of those where I am trying to figure out how to break in to the AK (or AK like) world without hopefully breaking the bank. I've got 1 complete and one nearly complete SKS, so 7x62x39 compatibility is a plus and being able to deer hunt with it (so 7.62x39) would also be a perk as maybe someone's head would explode if I was hunting with an AK.

It isn't required though, just nice perks. I guess I'll keep thinking about it awhile longer and also see what else might be an option in "AK like" land. Saiga's in 5.45x39 are MD legal, right? I have a buddy who has one who I don't think has shot his more than a time or two and has offered it for sale if I decide I am interested. I am just kind of lukewarm about picking up ANOTHER caliber.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Ouch. I guess not totally unexpected on costs. Le sigh.

One of those where I am trying to figure out how to break in to the AK (or AK like) world without hopefully breaking the bank. I've got 1 complete and one nearly complete SKS, so 7x62x39 compatibility is a plus and being able to deer hunt with it (so 7.62x39) would also be a perk as maybe someone's head would explode if I was hunting with an AK.

It isn't required though, just nice perks. I guess I'll keep thinking about it awhile longer and also see what else might be an option in "AK like" land. Saiga's in 5.45x39 are MD legal, right? I have a buddy who has one who I don't think has shot his more than a time or two and has offered it for sale if I decide I am interested. I am just kind of lukewarm about picking up ANOTHER caliber.

5.56 AK's are also an MD legal option, only problem is mags aren't cheap:
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/arsenal-slr106-21

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom