• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    I a moving to Milton in September. I have never had a propane tank before for my house. Should I lease, or buy the propane tank?

Any opinions?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In west of Frederick and got Amerigas. They use to have a “use more that xxx of gas in a year pay no tank rental” otherwise I pay $70/year rental. They just told me they changed the plan to I pay reguardless. I figure I’ve paid near $1K in rental for that tank. But they are responsible for the tank and regulator. If I move they just pick it up. So I’d say it depends on how much use you’d get, size. If you do purchase one don’t skimp on condition.

gorgeman

Apr 23, 2013
    if you lease , you are locked into pricing can not change suppliers own you are it for maintenace

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    How big? I have an underground tank I purchased when I built the house. Can change suppliers any time I like.
    This...
    We've always encouraged our clients to buy their own tank and call around for current pricing every time you need fuel. Otherwise, they'll creep up on you and you'll end up paying too much.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'd say buy, but make sure you call for fillups long before it runs out.

We lease and the price creeps up. I'll be buying one soon.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Bigger is better! We use our fireplace everyday. Turned to midflame is about 30k btu. You get approximately 90k per lb/gal. Running for 3 hrs/day = 1 lb/gal. Figure your use like that. We got our new fireplace on 4 Feb and already had the tank refilled once!

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!

What are you using it for? Heat? Stove? Hot water?

Are you buying an existing house? They have the hybrid furnaces that will run either electric or propane. You can choose based on cost of "fuel".

Baker Petroleum is usually the cheapest if you own your own tank. If you don't, everyone charges around $2.49/gallon delivered. Subtract about $1/gallon if you roll your own.

If your elec company is DEC (DE Electric Co-op) their rates are really cheap. Probably close to half the rates in Baltimore.

Chesapeake Utilities (who also owns Sharp Propane) also has their pipeline all the way down to Lewes (my parents new house in Lewes has Nat Gas) now so it's only a matter of time before natural gas becomes available to the smaller cities.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    A 100 gallon tank is a waste of time/money.

Get a 275/300, or 500/1000 and bury it. You won't get any price breaks with 70-80 gallon deliveries.

After about 2.5 - 2.75 refills the tank should pay for itself.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    How big? I have an underground tank I purchased when I built the house. Can change suppliers any time I like.

Calvert county has some screwed up rule that underground tanks have to be tested and if you switch companies they have to retest the tank on your dime.
    Word is the big name politically connected rich fuel supplier pushed for the refs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    amerigas was raping us so i dug up their tank and told them to pick it up, they weren't happy thinking they had us 'over a barrel.'

switched providers but ended up just leasing their tank. should have bought though to keep my options open.

really wish i could find someone who would price off some established index vs just charging us whatever they want each time.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    amerigas was raping us so i dug up their tank and told them to pick it up, they weren't happy thinking they had us 'over a barrel.'

switched providers but ended up just leasing their tank. should have bought though to keep my options open.

really wish i could find someone who would price off some established index vs just charging us whatever they want each time.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Most do. They just overcharge when they own the tanks.

https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=propane&months=12

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    amerigas charges extra per gallon at each fillup. when I discovered I was paying about $1 per gal extra for tank rental... I got my own tank installed. Btw - ironically Amerigas was best deal to install my tank for me.

now I play southern state against amerigas and others and get the best price. they won't play best price unless you are getting 250 or more gallons... make it worth their while.

bury 500 in the yard, good for 25 years or so. and buried they usually will fill to 85% instead of 80%. (muffled bomb I guess!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom