• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Maybe after our original arrows get shot a few hundred times and they start to deteriorate (but before they're dangerous) we can experiment with Beverly Hillbillies style bank shots. I'm not a fan of the through the PVC tube shots... looks like they lose a lot of fletching that way.

I've been shooting (a lot) in the basement at about 15 yards (that's all I've got) and it's getting boring. Wait, what? I suspect that shooting at this short range doesn't allow the arrow to stabilize out of the bow, so I'm getting some deviation from dead center hits. Sometimes as much as 1/2". Can't wait to get outside and some more appropriate distances.

See, that's where, as a newb, it seems tricky to figure out when they are "trashed," but still have one or two safe shots in them. I wear safety glasses, but I still don't want one to shatter right in front of my face :eek: At the moment, I only have the six it came with plus 3 lighted ones. I'm treating them like gold :o I definitely plan on stockpiling some more, and will maybe lighten up a little :D

Just as a FYI. I have my R10 Kit's on sale. The Gunmetal Grey Kit (R011) is $1169. The Predator Camo Kit (R010) is $1245.

That is a fantastic price!

For anyone else one the fence, as was mentioned, by the time you build up other brands (like adding the crank), you're really close to Ravin cost anyway. The part that really pushed me over the edge was the decocking. As I've learned from my Google crash course on crossbows, you can't store them cocked and you can't dry fire them. If you don't shoot...well, you have to shoot before you store it. They make arrows specifically for decocking...but I don't understand how they work (I mean...you're still shooting it :shrug:). The Ravin lets you uncock it by simply holding a release and turning the crank backwards. That feature seemed like it was worth a couple of bucks...to me, at least.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have this terrible urge to do something a little reckless with it. Sometime, when it's really dark, I want to go out into one of the bigger fields around here (when there aren't horses in it, obviously), and just let a lighted arrow fly for as far as it will go. It might be a stupid and potentially dangerous way to wreck a $20 arrow...:o...but it just seems like it would be pretty awesome :shrug:

I'll post video when it happens ;)

Snooping around the interwebs, kinda curious about your distance quest, I found this website that offers a bunch of data on velocity, distance and drop with crossbows: How Far Can You Shoot A Crossbow?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Snooping around the interwebs, kinda curious about your distance quest, I found this website that offers a bunch of data on velocity, distance and drop with crossbows: How Far Can You Shoot A Crossbow?

Have you done anything else with your Ravin? I haven't done any of the reckless long shots yet...in fact, my crossbow has been mostly sitting idle as long as this thread has:o

I DID use it the other day to test out my new Labradar chronograph. I only took a few shots (right there between 398 and 404 fps) and did this at about 40 yards :D Offhand, standing, too :innocent0

close arrows.jpg

I don't have a pic of the after, but apparently they made contact within the target because there was a bit of a rub mark on each of the shafts. That may be why the second one didn't penetrate as far. If the penetration was equal, there may have been some boogered up fletching...so I guess a little scuff on the shaft is ok :shrug:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Only zombies should be targeted as far as 100 yards. Far too risky (i.e., unethical) for deer.

Depends on where you are hunting. In the woods, for sure 100 yards is too risky. Sitting on the edge of a field with no wind, maybe not as risky.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    400 fps is not enough to overcome the speed of sound AND then string jump become way worse of a problem to deal with the longer the range of the animal. My crossbow is 350 fps and I think past 40 yards is a problem for string jump. SO no way even a Raven can shoot past 50 without the same affect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom