Best way to refinish an old shotgun stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I wouldn't take it apart either. Compressing the action springs is a PITA but can be done with patience. Sometimes those pins are soft and get bent too during reassembly.
    Scrub it out and then flood with compressed air and solvent to clear it/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    i second the truoil. i was surprised how nice it came out. It made an old pig look decent.

Tru-oil is my go to. Don't get me wrong, I love a good tung oil. Tru-oil however is more water resistant and I like the slight more shine to it. I rub mine down with some fine steel wool to give a matte finish.

I'd strip it, hit it with a water soaked rag in spots that need raising and hit it with an iron to remove or reduce the worst dents. A light sand (LIGHT!) and then a rag with tru-oil. Probably need 2-3 coats. Then a rub down with steel wool. Then probably another 1-2 coats of tru-oil. For the first 2-3 coats you can probably do them spaced about an hour between the first two, then later the same day for the 3rd coat. Then you'll want to let it dry at least 24hr hours between subsequent coats. Leave it shiny or hit it with some fine steel wool, lightly, at the end for a matte finish.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    Stock is done, and barrels are cut. Just waiting on the front bead kit from Brownells to arrive. Once that is done, I'll fill the rib with JB steel stick and touch up blue.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    My technique is to strip the finish off using some type of mild stripper. Lightly sand out any problems, watch out at the buttplate to wood fitting. then take one of those green scrubbing pads and scrub wood bleach into the stock. Let it sit overnight To dry, It’ll be whit to give you a blank slate, so to speak. then give it a mild scrubbing with the green scrubbing pad lightly. then start applying whatever finish you want, typically I just use boiled linseed to get the natural color. When that is dried then I apply tru oil on it, I hand rub it
    Don’t use too much but enough to cover it, then let it dry then repeat about three or four times in between give it a light sanding with 000 steel wool. They usually turn out really nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom