• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgbreen

Jun 23, 2020
    Any suggestions for a gunsmith who does good repairs on wood stocks?

I have my grandfather's Remington 510 'Targetmaster'. The stock has a small crack at the back of the bolt. It does not impede the proper function of the gun, but I would like to get it repaired rather than chance it getting worse.

I live in northern Carroll County, so even southern PA gunsmiths would be fine if they do good work.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Any suggestions for a gunsmith who does good repairs on wood stocks?

I have my grandfather's Remington 510 'Targetmaster'. The stock has a small crack at the back of the bolt. It does not impede the proper function of the gun, but I would like to get it repaired rather than chance it getting worse.

I live in northern Carroll County, so even southern PA gunsmiths would be fine if they do good work.

The stock could be removed and the crack injected with epoxy. Replacing it will diminish the value. Typically when done correctly and clamped the crack is almost invisible and stronger than the original.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The stock could be removed and the crack injected with epoxy. Replacing it will diminish the value. Typically when done correctly and clamped the crack is almost invisible and stronger than the original.

...or if it's a thin, hairline crack, dripping CA (cyano-acrylate, ie. Superglue) into the crack then clamping may fix the problem. Neither epoxy nor CA will work well if the area has been oil-soaked for decades.

JoeR

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    ...or if it's a thin, hairline crack, dripping CA (cyano-acrylate, ie. Superglue) into the crack then clamping may fix the problem. Neither epoxy nor CA will work well if the area has been oil-soaked for decades.

JoeR

Yes years of oil soaked wood will not allow epoxy to stick. I have used acetone to leach out the oils or the pink paint remover. Both will leach out enough oil to allow the epoxy to stick.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can also use diatomasious earth.

Or K2R spot remover also works in getting oil out of wood.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Another way to get an adhesive into the stock is lever the area that needs repair with a wedge. Use an air compressor to blow the glue into where it needs to be. Obviously CA glue may not be the best choice for this but I very rarely ever have used it.

One other technique that will always work if you can manage it, is to drill a small hole in an inconspicuous area adjacent to the split. ( like in the stock/action in-letting) Inject the adhesive into the hole then use a toothpick or similarly shaped dowel to compress the glue to the bottom of the damaged area.

Have your rigging handy and clamp tightly until you can see the glue emerge from the affected area. Loosen then tighten for coverage. Stock oils very rarely make it to the interior of the wood at the origin of the crack or split so this is where you need the strength for a long lasting repair that doesn't fail when a dowel or stock nail is not part of the repair.
    Strength at the top of the split will work after every thing has been washed out but tends to be the focused area and may allow for only a very small area to be bonded.

Oil based artist paints blended then mixed in with the emergent wood glue can be blended in from the exterior to completely camouflage the repair.
    Or, just drip a molten black candle over the area and cleanly scrap the remainder clear using a very small chisel, thinned hack saw blade or other sharp scraper.

YMMV when doing stock work but usually the best results are obtained when completely planning the work and taking the opportunity to practice on junk stocks. Choose the method that best suits the tools and materials you have available.

If you can get some Acra products forced in under pressure then clamp on a clean dry interior surface that sucker will stick together well er like glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom