• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Can anyone refer me to the regulations on working a FFL small business from a home, in Frederick City? Can you even have a non-storefront FFL in town?

Thanks.

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I would reach out to Bob at Shooting Ventures LLC. He's got a home business in the county (not the city) but may be able to point you in the right direction. I think he's a member here now, but not sure of his username.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I thought the ATF was not issuing new FFL licenses to non store front businesses, or has that not gone through yet?

Depends on the type of FFL IIRC. I think smiths and manufacturer FFLs don't need a store front and can technically sell/transfer at "events" like gun shows and matches. Not 100% sure though.

Jun 23, 2015
    Frederick
    I know it has been awhile since anyone posted but how did it work out for you? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Called Frederick county zoning and they told me only gunsmiths can have a home occupation not dealers

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I used Bob for a transfer of an online purchase once. He's a good guy.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

tru3607lou

Dusty MP
    Sep 26, 2011
    Fredneck
    Roadblock to FFL

I called the county courthouse a few years ago about this. Whoever I got on the phone asking about a business license (which you will need in Maryland) was...adamantly anti-gun. He basically said the only people with FFL's in Frederick County are (or pretending to be) gunsmiths. He made it clear I would never get a business license to sell firearms.

Has anyone else encountered this?

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    For Frederick County, the closest thing to a gun shop in the zoning laws are sporting goods stores. Based on the zoning laws, sporting goods stores are only a permitted use subject to site plan review in VC, MX, and GC zones. There are no residential zones outside VC that would be authorized without a variance. If you live in a VC zone, then there is no reason it could not be authorized. If you are in a residential zone, good luck! If you are in an AG zone, you might stand a chance. Once you have your zoning and site plan authorized, then you can apply for a Traders Business license from the County Clerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom