• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I shoot 43.5gr of H4350 behind a 130gr Norma Golden Target using Remington brass and FGMM LR primers. I've shot that load for years now and on the 8th loading of that brass and it's still, visibly, good brass.

One thing I noticed on the last firing is a bit of cratering. I am 100% sure that's new. Could that be a sign that brass is getting weak?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The .260? Happen to have a pic of the brass/primer for eval?

I load 43.3gr H4350 with multiple brands of brass and CCI #34 primers, under a 142gr SMK at 2.815" COL. Most of my Remington brass was purged after the 4th to 6th loading due to the "shiny ring of death" above the case web, but I have batches of Perfecta that are in the double digits when it comes to loadings - primer pockets are still snug too. Even my PPU and FC brass have made it to, and some past, 10 loadings now. I purge once the pockets start to open up, or I see some issue with the brass - spend all that time annealing and neck-turning, you tend to run your brass for as you long as you feel it's safe to.

Without seeing your brass, to see first-hand, I couldn't offer up much input.

Last edited:

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    What about the edges of the primers, still radiused? or flattened, or blown out to the edges of the primer pocket?

My Winchesters have a bit of an oversized firing pin hole, even milder loads crater just a little bit.

If you really think pressure may have increased, check for carbon build up in the throat? Just a thought.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The .260? Happen to have a pic of the brass/primer for eval?

I load 43.3gr H4350 with multiple brands of brass and CCI #34 primers, under a 142gr SMK at 2.815" COL. Most of my Remington brass was purged after the 4th to 6th loading due to the "shiny ring of death" above the case web, but I have batches of Perfecta that are in the double digits when it comes to loadings - primer pockets are still snug too. Even my PPU and FC brass have made it to, and some past, 10 loadings now. I purge once the pockets start to open up, or I see some issue with the brass - spend all that time annealing and neck-turning, you tend to run your brass for as you long as you feel it's safe to.

Without seeing your brass, to see first-hand, I couldn't offer up much input.

What about the edges of the primers, still radiused? or flattened, or blown out to the edges of the primer pocket?

My Winchesters have a bit of an oversized firing pin hole, even milder loads crater just a little bit.

If you really think pressure may have increased, check for carbon build up in the throat? Just a thought.

The primers are flattening a little, but not much. With respect to carbon, I cleaned the barrel out a few months ago because my groups were opening. Was able to get the carbon out, but it could be back. Although, I didn't have any pressure signs back then. Primer pockets are still good.

I am going to back off to 43.5gr and see what that does. I am also going to start annealing to see how long the brass will last. Although, I am tempted to retire it in favor of the new Lapua brass I just bought.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you have new Lapua (lucky dog!), just toss the Remington brass.

I have a gallon zip-loc bag full of once-fired Lapua .260, turned/annealed/trimmed - ready to go, I just can't bring myself to use it yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom