• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    I'm getting a headache reading the MD regs on getting a hunting license.

I'm only going to be hunting on my property and will only be shooting varmints (coyote, skunks, groundhog, etc). I'm retired military. I'm a former competitive rifle shooter. I've held hunting licenses in other states.

It looks like I have to take several days worth of classes and demonstrate shooting proficiency just to hunt on my own land. Is that true?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Education Requirements
    Hunter Education And Safety Requirement

To hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland, State law requires:

Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunting Safety (required of all first time hunters), or
    Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
    Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or

Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will only hunt waterfowl.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    No, if you are only hunting on your own property, you do not need a hunting license. If you have a hunter safety card from another state that should also meet the training required to get a license.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    You do not need a license if, IF, you are only hunting on your property and nowhere else. Same applies to the bow stamp and muzzleloader stamp, you do not need to purchase them if you hunt your property only.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    No hunting license needed. I'm not sure if you still need a furbearer stamp? I believe that is less than 5 bucks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    From the DNR E-regs this year...

"Who May Hunt Without a Hunting License in Maryland

All Maryland hunters must comply with the Hunter Education and Safety Requirement.
    You are not required to possess a Maryland hunting license if you are:

• a resident of Maryland (and their spouse) who owns property and who hunts only on that property. This also applies to:
      • the landowner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
      • the landowner’s children and grandchildren, and the spouse of the children or grandchildren, regardless of age, if the child, grandchild, or their spouse lives on the property, or has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.
        (Each person must individually qualify under these criteria. To qualify for this exemption, a landowner does not need to live on the property but must be able to prove ownership.)
    • A person (and spouse) who holds land under lease for agricultural purposes (or a sharecropper), and lives on this farmland, and hunts only on this farmland. This also applies to:
      • the lessee’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
      • the lessee’s children and grandchildren, and their spouses, if the child, grandchild, or spouse of the child or grandchild, lives on the property, or has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.
    • A nonresident (and spouse) who owns a contiguous piece of farmland that is in both Virginia and Maryland may hunt on the Maryland portion of the property without a Maryland hunting license, if the person’s primary residence is on the Virginia portion of the property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
    • A Maryland resident serving in the United States Armed Forces that is on official leave in Maryland (whether stationed in Maryland or outside Maryland) and possesses a copy of official leave orders while hunting.
    • A person serving in the United States Armed Forces who has a service-connected disability and possesses a valid military identification while hunting.
    • A person who is a retired former member of the United States Armed Services and hunting on farmland that is in active farming status and owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, child’s spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, niece or nephew. A retired former member who hunts on farmland without a hunting license must possess the retired military identification card and written permission from the owner of the farm property specifying the relationship of the person to the owner of the property.
    Be aware that hunters not required to have a license:

• must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. These items may be obtained through the COMPASS portal at compass.dnr.maryland.gov/ OR any DNR Licensing and Registration Service Center (pg. 6) OR a DNR Sport License agent.
    • must have Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp to hunt migratory game birds.
    • must possess the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp to hunt waterfowl and coots.
    • must obtain a Furbearer Permit to hunt, trap, or chase any furbearer.
    • are not required to purchase Archery Deer Stamps, Muzzleloader Deer Stamps, or Bonus Antlered Deer Stamps.
    Nonresidents of Maryland who own property in the state and hunt on that property are required to purchase a Nonresident Hunting License and all other appropriate stamps and permits.
    Individuals who are exempt from Maryland hunting license requirements are subject to all state and federal laws and regulations relative to hunting and trapping."

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    From the DNR E-regs this year...

"Who May Hunt Without a Hunting License in Maryland

All Maryland hunters must comply with the Hunter Education and Safety Requirement.
    You are not required to possess a Maryland hunting license if you are:

• a resident of Maryland (and their spouse) who owns property and who hunts only on that property. This also applies to:
      • the landowner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
      • the landowner’s children and grandchildren, and the spouse of the children or grandchildren, regardless of age, if the child, grandchild, or their spouse lives on the property, or has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.
        (Each person must individually qualify under these criteria. To qualify for this exemption, a landowner does not need to live on the property but must be able to prove ownership.)
    • A person (and spouse) who holds land under lease for agricultural purposes (or a sharecropper), and lives on this farmland, and hunts only on this farmland. This also applies to:
      • the lessee’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
      • the lessee’s children and grandchildren, and their spouses, if the child, grandchild, or spouse of the child or grandchild, lives on the property, or has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.
    • A nonresident (and spouse) who owns a contiguous piece of farmland that is in both Virginia and Maryland may hunt on the Maryland portion of the property without a Maryland hunting license, if the person’s primary residence is on the Virginia portion of the property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
    • A Maryland resident serving in the United States Armed Forces that is on official leave in Maryland (whether stationed in Maryland or outside Maryland) and possesses a copy of official leave orders while hunting.
    • A person serving in the United States Armed Forces who has a service-connected disability and possesses a valid military identification while hunting.
    • A person who is a retired former member of the United States Armed Services and hunting on farmland that is in active farming status and owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, child’s spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, niece or nephew. A retired former member who hunts on farmland without a hunting license must possess the retired military identification card and written permission from the owner of the farm property specifying the relationship of the person to the owner of the property.
    Be aware that hunters not required to have a license:

• must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. These items may be obtained through the COMPASS portal at compass.dnr.maryland.gov/ OR any DNR Licensing and Registration Service Center (pg. 6) OR a DNR Sport License agent.
    • must have Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp to hunt migratory game birds.
    • must possess the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp to hunt waterfowl and coots.
    • must obtain a Furbearer Permit to hunt, trap, or chase any furbearer.
    • are not required to purchase Archery Deer Stamps, Muzzleloader Deer Stamps, or Bonus Antlered Deer Stamps.
    Nonresidents of Maryland who own property in the state and hunt on that property are required to purchase a Nonresident Hunting License and all other appropriate stamps and permits.
    Individuals who are exempt from Maryland hunting license requirements are subject to all state and federal laws and regulations relative to hunting and trapping."

excellent. I also found this

Furbearer Permit Exceptions

A Furbearer Permit is also not required for:
    a landowner to hunt or trap a coyote, fox or skunk that is damaging or destroying the personal or real property of the landowner on their land.

but I'll get one anyway to be safe

thanks!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    excellent. I also found this

Furbearer Permit Exceptions

A Furbearer Permit is also not required for:
    a landowner to hunt or trap a coyote, fox or skunk that is damaging or destroying the personal or real property of the landowner on their land.

but I'll get one anyway to be safe

thanks!
    It's only $5 for a furbearer permit, I always get one. And a note... groundhogs are not considered a game species, you can hunt them year round, even on Sundays, but... You are required to wear orange per the regs.. ;)

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    OP,
    You are right, it seems like you have to be half lawyer to understand all the regs. It's worse when you hunt several states. And be aware that they change every year.

Don't forget to make sure that you can shoot where ever it is that you are located.

MG

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    IF you decide you want to hunt elsewhere in the state, and aren't old enough( 56 yrs old) to have hunted prior to 1977. There used to be an online class from Texas that was free that was recognized as your hunter safety class. Just take the class, get your card and then use it to purchase Md. Hunting License.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    IF you decide you want to hunt elsewhere in the state, and aren't old enough( 56 yrs old) to have hunted prior to 1977. There used to be an online class from Texas that was free that was recognized as your hunter safety class. Just take the class, get your card and then use it to purchase Md. Hunting License.
    It's not free, but it does satisfy training for an HQL!

Sent from the 3rd Rock

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    thanks! I just want to be legal - not expecting anyone to come visit from DNR but better to be safe than sorry.

Unless you have a good size chunk of land in a rural county, expect that NRP will show up soon after you shoot the first time. Know your county ordinances in addition to state law on where you can shoot on your property for hunting purposes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's only $5 for a furbearer permit, I always get one. And a note... groundhogs are not considered a game species, you can hunt them year round, even on Sundays, but... You are required to wear orange per the regs.. ;)

Mow your property with an orange hat on. Done.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    Unless you have a good size chunk of land in a rural county, expect that NRP will show up soon after you shoot the first time. Know your county ordinances in addition to state law on where you can shoot on your property for hunting purposes.
    good points. I have 5-acres in Washington County and am an air rifle nut. During season, you hear guns on a regular basis. They probably won't even hear the pop of my air rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Doesn't specify must have hunted before 1977 in Md. Some states allow hunting by one's self at 10 & 12yo . Several States have no minimum age for hunting while accompanied. So could be someone in early 40's if they lived in the right state as a child.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    56 years old was MY number figuring a person that hunted before 1977 would be around 16. Point being that if you were in your 20's today, I wouldn't sign my name saying I hunted before 1977. I believe the certification is just signing a statement that you hunted before safety classes were mandated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom