What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    attachment-3.jpeg
    10956-9ce2bf4d601c22e6c19c2153c74b4249-1.jpg

After doing some searching for pics found some of these.
    Some notes stated: loose pockets, too much reaming of the crimp or swaging, over pressure loads ( hot loads ) soft brass, some suggested primer pocket uniform tools so that the primer sits flat in the pocket in some cases reduces it.
    On the note of swaging it works best with the same headstamps, as the differences in composition of the brass, some brass is softer than others or vise / versa.

-Rock
    3RingsOfSteel.JPG

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    View attachment 452305 View attachment 452309

After doing some searching for pics found some of these.
    Some notes stated: loose pockets, too much reaming of the crimp or swaging, over pressure loads ( hot loads ) soft brass, some suggested primer pocket uniform tools so that the primer sits flat in the pocket in some cases reduces it.
    On the note of swaging it works best with the same headstamps, as the differences in composition of the brass, some brass is softer than others or vise / versa.

-Rock View attachment 452311

Good one Rock!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good one Rock!
    What Rock posted is exactly what's going on with mine. I don't think it hurts things functionally provided it doesn't get much worse. I've noticed blackening around some of my primers where the gas burned through, and invariably it's always those staked ones.

My loading shouldn't be too hot - I follow the manuals and never load max pressures, so I don't think that's what's causing it.

The good news is that the bolt face on that gun's action - Bighorn Origin - can be replaced, and quite easily - but it sucks that I'm going to have to do it because they aren't exactly cheap.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If you don't mind please list some of the headstanps that are the culprits, would be interested to see em. Most of my primer pocket "blow by" is with Federal brass, so it gets tossed, the pockets get loose in just one reloading if that. The rest whether PMC, TW, LC with crimps no issues, nor WW, RP of various years (decades) only Federal, now I dont reload hardly any Hornady brass, flows too much.
    YMMV

Anyway sorry to go off topic in this thread.

-Rock

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Getting back into 308win. These Barnes TSX pulls were in the premium mix for 10cpr so the years of collecting deals is coming to fruition.

308win Federal brass, 165gr TSX, CFE223, Rem 9-1/2. , about 35cpr.

View attachment 452293

Finished off the ammo can full of 200+ of the TSX. Started a new can of Federal Nickel bonded poly rounds. I need to process another 250cnt baggie of Fed 308 brass to keep moving forward

IMG_5607.jpeg

IMG_5608.jpeg

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Those are looking good. Nothing better than a can full of rounds. I got some cans to fill up myself. I'm gonna try to work on that once the sun warms up the garage a bit.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some of those bolt faces look absolutely horrible.
    The M1A bolt has a firing pin port thats so large or the pin is so out of spec you can see it.
    Anyway, its important to remember that primers move rearwards out of the pocket and become reinserted after the case is thrust rearwards.
    Sometimes this looks like flattening and characteristics of over-pressure etc.
    Sometimes you may find one that protrudes from the case after its ejected but not completely unseated.
    Increasing the charge in a hand-loaded cartridge will often remedy that condition. Its usually accompanied with a minimum spec-ed out load. Especially in a rifle that will nearly close on a no go gauge or one that has been deemed to be still good becuase it passes a "field test" by a wishful owner.
    I see this in a lot of 06's I get turned over to me to look at.
    What the owners of these rifles dont ever or rarely ever consider is that throat erosion, worn bores etc reduce pressure and bolt thrust as well becuase of less friction so increasing the main charge over a minimum helps to keep the primer in the case so to speak.
    This is also one of the reasons to start at a minimum charge when changing components becuase friction cannot be determined outside of a pressure barrel and velocity is often higher than published data simply becuase a bore is tighter that what was used in the lab.
    I think the main, reason primers are crimped in is for machine guns, particularly aircraft and for preventing stoppages due to a primer falling out becuase of the bolt moving rearwards before enough pressure has been applied to reinsert the primer before the extraction phase begins.

Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    1000000830.jpg

Got the new, to me anyway, blue press bolted down. Probably gonna spend the rest of the day figuring it out and setting up for my loads.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Finished off the ammo can full of 200+ of the TSX. Started a new can of Federal Nickel bonded poly rounds. I need to process another 250cnt baggie of Fed 308 brass to keep moving forward

View attachment 452641
    View attachment 452642

Trucking along, finished prepping another bag of Federal Match Brass. Rounded out the Nickel Trophy rounds and hit up the Barnes 165gr TTSX and 168gr TTSX. Finishing off the brass bag with some Sierra 165gr Tipped Game King (TGK) rounds. Should end the weekend with 500rounds of premium 308win for $150 and some sweat equity :D

IMG_5611.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    That's a lot of BR.. :D

What bullets are those? Are you doing ladder tests or prepping for an event?
    22BR (14T Varmint Rifle) 55gr. SBK's & 53gr. SMK's
    6BR all Berger 105 Hybrids
    30BR Berger 115's and BIB112's
    (Bullets are moly coated.)
    Some testing - for match preps.
    Love my BR's!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    22BR 6BR 30BR
    6cxqjY7.jpg
    I'm envious.

I will eventually get a 30br barrel for my TL3 to go with the 6br Norma barrel in it now. If you don't mind my asking, what weight bullet are you running and what throat did you go with? My intent is not registered match but more for fun and maybe the occasional critter. I'll be using 125TNT and 125BTip.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I have NO idea what the throat is on the 30BR (or the 6BR or the 22BR). The 30BR and 6BR were chambered by Sid Goodling some 20+ years ago. The 30 has always shot bullets in the 112 to 118 range (17T barrel) which are slightly into the lands while seated ~halfway+/- down the neck. I tried 135gr. Sierra's (600 yard aspirations) but could not get them to stabilize and they shot like shyte.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have NO idea what the throat is on the 30BR (or the 6BR or the 22BR). The 30BR and 6BR were chambered by Sid Goodling some 20+ years ago. The 30 has always shot bullets in the 112 to 118 range (17T barrel) which are slightly into the lands while seated ~halfway+/- down the neck. I tried 135gr. Sierra's (600 yard aspirations) but could not get them to stabilize and they shot like shyte.
    I'm thinking a 15 twist or a 13.5. That way I know I am good for 125BTip and most flat base into the 150 range. I won't be competing with it. The 125TNT is a great whistlepig pill and the 125BTip at those speeds looks good for deer at closer ranges.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    What is the purpose of the polymer tips? The copper bullets I ordered for .350 Legend have them.

The primer arm for my Rockchucker split where it holds the anvil. I think I screwed in the keeper setscrew too tight. Replacement arrives today. Shipping on many items seems to be slowing down.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    What is the purpose of the polymer tips? The copper bullets I ordered for .350 Legend have them.

The primer arm for my Rockchucker split where it holds the anvil. I think I screwed in the keeper setscrew too tight. Replacement arrives today. Shipping on many items seems to be slowing down.

If/when you can, do your self a huge favor and get a hand priming tool. I have the original RCBS (not the universal one) and it is so much faster and get a good feel on the seating.

Can prime 100 in about 8 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom