• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Makes sense, the air pockets inside the foam, absorbs the force of the impact.

Sort of like shooting a pistol round into a snow bank. It doesn't penetrate very far.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Makes sense, the air pockets inside the foam, absorbs the force of the impact.

Sort of like shooting a pistol round into a snow bank. It doesn't penetrate very far.

I think it is as much that it allows the round to yaw, presenting more surface area to the material to stop it. You can even see that to a degree in the video. It is a similar mechanism to layered armor in ships. Downside is it takes up a lot more space. Upside, if space isn't at an absolute premium then it reduces the weight. I'd think this would also have upsides against HEAT rounds. Gives the hot gas/plasma plume an opportunity to disperse more, creating less focused cutting action. Downside is compared to armor that stops the round, this armor soaks it up. So several hits close to together would compromise it. Where armor that deflects or stops the round generally wouldn't.

Could make really good up-armoring kits/panels for vehicles though. I'd see it as ideal for underbody mine protection.

I'd be curious what the thickness of the material is that they used and how its density compares to just hardened steel.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Quote, "The armor was tested with the rounds being fired at impact velocities from 500 meters per second up to 885 meters per second"

Uhhh, doesn't a .50bmg round travel a little faster than that?

Now down range quite a way, maybe. Not 100% sure of ballistics of the .50.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    885 meters per second would translate to 2903.54 feet per second so approximately 100 feet per second below rated muzzle velocity for m2 ball.

So I would say it is a reasonable range of test velocities.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Transparent aluminum will stop multiple .50 rounds. That is Aluminum Oxynitrite for you chemists out there. 1.6" of this is better protection than 3.7" of armored glass, plus it can take multiple hits and its much lighter since its a type of ceramic crystal. Good way to up armor your SUV (urban assault vehicle) windows. Then seal up all the body cavities and fill them with Oobleck. The problem with all this is a roadside bomb while not being able to penetrate the force of the blast will likely blow the vehicle into doing a triple summersault in mid-air so everyone still might die from it. Might need a giant airbag to inflate around the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom