• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    If I currently have an approved SBR (11.5" barrel, 29" OAL AR-15), is it legal to put a rimfire upper on it that would bring the OAL to less than 29" (4" barrel .22lr) without needing to send in additional paperwork? Thank you.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Yes, it should be.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to produce a specific form 1 that has the rimfire language in it to anyone that would question the legality of the length.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Rimfire rifles are specifically excluded from the copycat provisions that limit AR15 based rifles.

Are there supplemental forms that I need to request from the ATF that I need to attach to my current paperwork? I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm just trying to get out of the gray area. Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    THAT's not the grey area . In the Federal NFA sense , temporarily changing configuration of modular ( things that go bang, within the same NFA category is routine. If you want to be 1000% belt & suspenders , toss the upper matching the papers into oversized case , and bring with you .

The real question is whether the rimfire upper on shoulder stocked conventional AR Lower with resultant sub 29in OAL is inherently Banned .

My gut wants to say it's legal . My mind can't think of a logical reason for it to not be legal .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    MD law only deals with the gun in the configuration it's currently in. As long as it never is actually in a banned configuration, you should be fine.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I have an post ban AR15-22 with a 4" barrel that was approved at 19" when I put a centerfire upper on it I need to exceed 29" typically a 10.5" barrel will fit the bill. If you change the configuration of your SBR permanently you should notify the Atf as per an IP on this forum. Otherwise have fun!

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Please correct me if I am wrong but, my understanding is as long as you can return the SBR to its original configuration, as stated on your Form1 or 4, you can put whatever upper you want on it. As long as it is not permanent.

Correct? Incorrect?

Dave

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't see any reason why a shorter than 29" .22 cal upper can't be put on an already SBR'd lower legally. I would only worry about the ATF's opinion in regards to changing a given registered SBR's configuration. IANAL, but I believe the only concern is that you be able to revert the weapon back to its registered configuration. Either way, Md should have no problem nor say in it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't see any reason why a shorter than 29" .22 cal upper can't be put on an already SBR'd lower legally. I would only worry about the ATF's opinion in regards to changing a given registered SBR's configuration. IANAL, but I believe the only concern is that you be able to revert the weapon back to its registered configuration. Either way, Md should have no problem nor say in it.
    This is true, but I think ar15dave was trying to ask whether you could legally temporarily put an upper on it that would put it in banned config (< 29" OAL for rimfire is not a banned config). The answer to that question is an unambiguous no, at least to the MSP.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is true, but I think ar15dave was trying to ask whether you could legally temporarily put an upper on it that would put it in banned config (< 29" OAL for rimfire is not a banned config). The answer to that question is an unambiguous no, at least to the MSP.

My opinion was directed to the OP. In the case of ar15dave, what he proposed would be legal if he swapped his upper to a shorter than Md legal upper (phrased for expediency) in a state where this would be legal.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Cool thanks all for the input. Luckily I have an M16 and the OAL is not a concern for that, as far as MD is concerned. They don't seem to care about full auto guns.

Dave

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    About this 29 OAL thing....

If I ever moved back to Maryland, does this apply to transfer or possession too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom