• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi all,

Just got back from my first trip to the Freestate indoor range with my new Smith and Wesson 627 revolver, 4-inch barrel. It's a matte stainless 8-shot .357 magnum/38 special +P/38 special shooter. It's an N-frame with the Hogue finger groove grips. It's beautiful with interesting lines that are a little more non-traditional looking and has a good hefty weight in the hand at about 41 ounces. It's also what Smith and Wesson calls one of their "Pro Series" which I think comes off the factory assembly line to a in-house gunsmith for some trigger smoothing and a few other checks. Not completely sure what little treatments it gets though. Got it from a seller at Gunbroker NIB for $780 plus shipping and transfer. I think it was a pretty good deal.

This revolver fit incredibly well in my hands. I've got large hands and I chose this frame size because the 686 models were just a bit too small for my hand.

At the range. After the first load of 38's at 7 yards, I was pleased with the single action trigger. Not my best shooting, but far better than most of my semi-automatics (1st pic). It was completely crisp with zero trigger creep and breaks clean at what I would estimate was slightly under 4 lb. I put some Shoot N' See circles on a target and tried slower fire in single action at 10 yards (2nd pic). The .38 special rounds are on the left and the .357 magnums are on the right.

I was shooting Winchester White Box 130 grain .38 specials and Federal 158 grain .357 magnums. I've forgotten what a satisfying "whump" you can put out with a magnum cartridge.. It was fun. The 38's feel pretty soft in this revolver while the .357's are loud and have authority, are quite controllable with no hand sting, and exit without any negative-feeling muzzle flip. It gets back on target very quickly due to the weight I guess. The 3rd pic is 40 rounds of .38 in mixed single- and double action at 7 yards to get rounds downrange.

The double action was very, very smooth and enabled me to still put shots on target without the severe movement I've come to associate with the double action pull of a revolver. Even with the long pull. I was grinning ear to ear while I shot this. To be exact, I can't remember shooting any other revolver in double-action mode where I wasn't wiggling all over the place while I tried to keep my aim under control. This Model 627 satisfied completely in this and many other aspects.

Something that I've forgotten over the years is that there's no brass clean up (which I keep) by dropping the spent brass into a box. My hands were also 10x cleaner from not thumbing rounds into a dirty mag each time I needed a refill.

All in all, this is my only wheel gun and it's given me the revolver fever! I can't believe I went this long without a revolver since selling my last model 686 back in 1989. I wish I had that thing back and regret selling it. But this 627 has quality in spades and is a definite keeper. The ergonomics are top notch in my hands.

Clean-up was easy and Hoppe's #9 took all the carbon off where it got black from what I assume came from the dirty .38 WWB rounds.

I've included two more pics of my new baby.

Hope this post informed somewhat.

Scribe556

Attachments

• first8_38.JPG
      first8_38.JPG
      78.5 KB · Views: 448
    • 38_357_x.jpg
      38_357_x.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 469
    • 40shots_x.jpg
      40shots_x.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 441
    • 627-1y.jpg
      627-1y.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 462
    • 627-3x.jpg
      627-3x.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 568

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    Very nice revolver. I have been looking at a 686 and ended up purchasing(5" Pro) from Mark @ 2A. Will pick it up next week. I have small hands and the Hogue grips fit my hand very well. I am still fairly new to shooting and I doubt my targets will look like yours. Safe shooting.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    :thumbsup: Nice report and congrats on the new acquisition.

I think I may be catching a bit of that revolver fever myself. I've never owned one, but keep eyeing them ever since my friend bought a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan...

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Very nice revolver. I have been looking at a 686 and ended up purchasing(5" Pro) from Mark @ 2A. Will pick it up next week. I have small hands and the Hogue grips fit my hand very well. I am still fairly new to shooting and I doubt my targets will look like yours. Safe shooting.

I bet you'll surprise yourself like I did. It's taken me a long time to learn but good triggers and sights make all the difference to me.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    :thumbsup: Nice report and congrats on the new acquisition.

I think I may be catching a bit of that revolver fever myself. I've never owned one, but keep eyeing them ever since my friend bought a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan...
    A buddy of mine let me shoot his .44 Super Redhawk Alaskan and it was pretty smooth even with Double Tap 320 grain rounds. But, oh the price of that ammo! I must be a cheapskate..

45CalFan

Stop and Think
    Nov 27, 2012
    Upper Marlboro
    This is why I try and stay out of the revolver threads - - damn it, now I want one. Nice range write up and very nice picture of a beauty.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    This is why I try and stay out of the revolver threads - - damn it, now I want one. Nice range write up and very nice picture of a beauty.

Same, it makes me question my "wait until the last one is paid off"
    Mentality.
    Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    You won't regret buying this revolver... I was hesitant too , but am glad to have it. Just bought a load of .38 and .357 at Walmart today to feed it.
    The lines, the capacity, the N-frame in matte stainless pulled the trigger on buying it for me...

P.S. a buddy of mine at work is getting the 627 V-comp PC version which I can't wait to try. That's too much gun for my wallet....

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Hi,

Glad you are happy, great piece.

I own its brother, a S&W Model 629 .357 Magnum with a 5" barrel. I shot it just last weekend at Continental Arms. Its probably the most accurate handgun gun I own, well really its a tie with my S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum, but without the fireball, loose fillings, and sore hand.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom