• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Looking to replace my stock plastic hand guards and am debating on if i should just put in a drop in replacement like the EZ CAR from DD or if i should spend some more $ and go with a free float rail....what do you think?

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    What are you looking to get from the raplacement handguards?

If you're looking to attach a flashlight and/or a vertical grip a MOE handguard may do it for you.

If you're looking for a lot more rails and are willing to do the work or have the work done, it's my opinion that you should go with the freefloat. I have a centurion arms rail I really like right now, and it can be installed at home with a dremel and a screwdriver (disclaimer, mine came installed on a centurion arms upper). I'm currently lusting after a KAC URX 3.1, though, for the light weight, thin profile, and rails only up front where I would put a flashlight. The URX requires someone else with the specialized barrel wrench to install it, though, and will require either a new gas block or a shaved down gas block. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 185DF1EC-D539-4605-BA48-A4DA3381142C.JPG
      185DF1EC-D539-4605-BA48-A4DA3381142C.JPG
      71.9 KB · Views: 180
    • kac-sr15-bb-1.jpg
      kac-sr15-bb-1.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 187

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't spend a dime until you know exactly what you want to accomplish. For little money, a Magpul handguard is a great upgrade if there's no serious intention to mount optics/sights.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Simple drop-in should do you well then. Free-float is nice, but for basic use, I'd say save the money and just do a 'middle of the road' drop-in rail.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In that case, go the Magpul route and use the savings for a quality tactical flashlight and mount.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If it's range use and HD, you're probably best served by the Magpul MOE handguard, then put the money you saved towards a good sling, a good flashlight and red-dot sight followed by some training from a reputable organization.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Looking to replace my stock plastic hand guards and am debating on if i should just put in a drop in replacement like the EZ CAR from DD or if i should spend some more $ and go with a free float rail....what do you think?

Also consider if your keeping the A2 site (if you have one) or using irons. Many options out there.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am with the crowd. The Magpul MOE handguard is a quick and easy upgrade, and it provides you options for VFGs and lights. If you find you need a free-floating handguard later on, you won't be out a lot of money.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Will the Magpul hold up to full auto or melt? What does it have for interior heat shields?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom