Help out the new guy - Ruger or Smith & Wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I saved and bought an M&P .40 as my first and Im SO glad I did, after shooting a dozen or soothers, I LOVE my M&P. There is a certain feel you get fromt he M&P that you dont get from any other sidearm so far for me.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a P95. Clunky is the way to characterize it. Had a decent trigger. Not very accurate but would eat anything I fed it. Sold it, didn't care for it. I will definitely be ordering an M&P Pro in about a week. Been inside one in detail. I like some of Ruger's guns a great deal. The M&P9 is a different class pistol. It is worth the extra $$$.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    You guys are working hard to make sure I spend more money than I should. :)

Be careful, eventually you will feel the need to collect them all, the M&Ps are very addicting. My collection:

M&P BB-gun, for shooting in the yard
    M&P 22, for fun cheap plinking
    M&P 9 standard, my former competition gun now relegated to home defense
    M&P 9 pro/long, competition gun
    M&P 9 Shield, CCW

Now I need to get my hands on the M&P45. Love me some M&P! :D

Good luck

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Be careful, eventually you will feel the need to collect them all, the M&Ps are very addicting. My collection:

M&P BB-gun, for shooting in the yard
    M&P 22, for fun cheap plinking
    M&P 9 standard, my former competition gun now relegated to home defense
    M&P 9 pro/long, competition gun
    M&P 9 Shield, CCW

Now I need to get my hands on the M&P45. Love me some M&P! :D

Good luck

I think I'm ready to part with my M&P45. I just don't shoot it. I was excited when I got it. I even load for it and the excitement just died. I have four 10 round mags and one 14 rounder. It has 400-450 rounds though it.

Gun and mags for $600

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Ok, I think you all helped me make up my mind. Number one, I need to find a range to rent some of these options. Number two, if the M&P feels as good to shoot as it did just to hold in the shop, I'm getting one.

The last choice is, 9mm or .22? That will depend on how fast I can save my pennies over the next few months. Ideally, I'll get the 9mm that I want. If I get hit with other expenses, I'll go .22 and hopefully reap the benefits of having my wife accompany me to the range more frequently. Win/win.

One last question: Does anybody have any comments on ease of maintenance for these guns? When I get home from the range, do I have my work cut out for me to get it cleaned, or is it simple? Bear in mind that my gun maintenance expertise is putting a drop of oil on the pump mechanism on a Crosman 760 when I was a kid, so feel free to dumb it down for me. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The M&P is very easy to take-down/clean.

It'll vary if you get one with a magazine disconnect - I opted for no disconnect, no thumb safety, no internal key-lock, and .45 ACP goodness.

Remove magazine, verify weapon cleared.
    Lock slide back, under the ejector, there's a sear deactivation lever - push it down, ball point pen will work, or the tool in the grip.
    Left side of slide, just ahead of the slide-lock, there's a lever - rotate it down.
    Grasp slide, push it back off the lock - it slides right off.

If that doesn't make sense, there's always youtube or the manual.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Ok, I think you all helped me make up my mind. Number one, I need to find a range to rent some of these options. Number two, if the M&P feels as good to shoot as it did just to hold in the shop, I'm getting one.

The last choice is, 9mm or .22? That will depend on how fast I can save my pennies over the next few months. Ideally, I'll get the 9mm that I want. If I get hit with other expenses, I'll go .22 and hopefully reap the benefits of having my wife accompany me to the range more frequently. Win/win.

One last question: Does anybody have any comments on ease of maintenance for these guns? When I get home from the range, do I have my work cut out for me to get it cleaned, or is it simple? Bear in mind that my gun maintenance expertise is putting a drop of oil on the pump mechanism on a Crosman 760 when I was a kid, so feel free to dumb it down for me. :)

As Brad said, the M&P is very easy to work on or clean. The M&P22 is a completely different firearm though, made by Walther. It has a completely different internals, and the slide is aluminum, etc. Don't get me wrong, the 22 is a fun shooter, but it is no M&P.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I'm carrying an M&P .40 right now...

I bought a P89 9mm years ago. All metal so it was a little heavier. But the extra weight made it a breeze to shoot.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I bought a used M&P 9 from one of our IP's last year. I love the gun so much, I went out and bought a M&P 22. So much fun to shoot!
    I think the next thing on my list is a M&P pro- 45.

ghost1981

Aug 1, 2012
    Frederick
    M&P! Either way, do check with Lou at shooter's discount. He may have one used like previously mentioned. My buddy got one of his glocks and though it was used, it was in EXCELLENT condition!!!!! Worth checking with him first.

WaltherWhite

Heisenberg
    Aug 3, 2012
    My SR9 is an amazing gun everyone who has picked it up shoots extremely well, my girlfriend picked it up (the first non .22 she has ever shot) first shot was a center bulls eye, finished off the clip and put another 2 bulls eyes in the head. My fathers a big Ruger fanboy, me not so much, I enjoy shooting all our Rugers just not a fan of the looks.

What Im trying to say is if your trying for the eco gun buy the P95,

BUT I personally would suggest the M&P9, spoil yourself and get the gun you want ;) I always do, and Id put the Ruger as a strong second choice if you dont think your worth it :p

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I know your preference is Ruger OR S&W but.....you owe it to yourself to check out
    the the Springfield XD9mm. Absolutely great with a 4lbs. trigger. Check out Continental Arms in Timonium, Md. They have LOTSA rentals. They probably have a XD9. Call first.

If you can test fire a gun before you buy.....DEFINITELY DO IT !!
    It's like test driving a car. You may or may not like it . IMHO.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Wow, I forgot that I started this thread. Lots of good advice here, thank you to everyone that responded. I wound up buying an SR9. I'm now experiencing the joy of waiting for the MSP to allow me to claim what is mine. I'm guessing I have at least 6 more weeks to go.

In the meantime, I've got no ammo and it's time to fix that problem. My question to all the SR9 owners out there: Is there any particular brand or type that your gun prefers? Anything that is likely to cause FTE, or will it shoot anything you put in it?

I could ask who has anything in stock, but there's plenty of threads devoted to that problem already. :rolleyes: I'll just figure out what I'm looking for first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom