• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Business currency defined

FYI.

For those of you who just received your CCW permit and are business owners, I just received clarification of what the state of Maryland considers business currency.

"Greetings, business currency is cash or checks for your business or from your business to the bank or where ever you conduct business transactions with currency." - Michael A Jones; michaela.jones@maryland.go

So as I read it as long as you have business currency, and you're the owner, you can carry 24/7 because it's up to you to decide when and where you conduct business transactions with currency.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    do your bills and coin have "business only" on them?!? LOL

kinda hard to prove that any money on your wallet/pocket is for "business only". be smart and dont try to find a "loopholes". just my 2 cents.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Currency "or something of value".

As defined by the FBI, credit cards are currency.

"something of value" - this can be gold teeth, a contract, equipment, etc.

If you have a restricted license, i.e. between home, business, & bank, you could get in trouble depending on what your business is or where you are carrying (Dowtown Baltimore if your retail location is 100 miles from there).

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Currency "or something of value".

As defined by the FBI, credit cards are currency.

"something of value" - this can be gold teeth, a contract, equipment, etc.

If you have a restricted license, i.e. between home, business, & bank, you could get in trouble depending on what your business is or where you are carrying (Dowtown Baltimore if your retail location is 100 miles from there).

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Most everyone I have heard who got a permit for business has or while carrying business currency as owner in addition to between home, business, & bank. So that opens up to anywhere in Md and when ever you conduct business as owner.

If their restriction is just between home, business, & bank, well then they are SOL:sad20:

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    do your bills and coin have "business only" on them?!? LOL

kinda hard to prove that any money on your wallet/pocket is for "business only". be smart and dont try to find a "loopholes". just my 2 cents.

I carry an envelope which clearly states that the money within is 'Business currency' and is only allowed to be carryed by the owner.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    for your business or from your business to the bank or where ever you conduct business transactions
    I suggest you pay closer attention to this language. Unless you conduct business everywhere you go, you may have trouble with Johnny Law.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Most everyone I have heard who got a permit for business has or while carrying business currency as owner in addition to between home, business, & bank. So that opens up to anywhere in Md and when ever you conduct business as owner.

If their restriction is just between home, business, & bank, well then they are SOL:sad20:

That is basically what the letter clarifying "business currency " says. It
    I think your interpretation is far too loose to bank on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    huesmann said:
    I suggest you pay closer attention to this language. Unless you conduct business everywhere you go, you may have trouble with Johnny Law.

Buying breakfast, a ream of paper, book of stamps, etc. are all conducting business transactions since I am the owner of the company.

There are a lot of businesses that have a minimum $10 charge in order to use a credit card so cash is a must.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Buying breakfast, a ream of paper, book of stamps, etc. are all conducting business transactions since I am the owner of the company.

There are a lot of businesses that have a minimum $10 charge in order to use a credit card so cash is a must.

Requiring a minimum charge is a violation of your contract with your credit card processor. On an unrelated note, so are most instances of a 'convenience fee'.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    CypherPunk said:
    Requiring a minimum charge is a violation of your contract with your credit card processor. On an unrelated note, so are most instances of a 'convenience fee'.

That maybe true but I don't have time to debate the legality of a minimum purchase with the merchant. Easier to just pay cash and go on my merry way.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I send a copy of the receipt to Visa/MasterCard.

Typically, within 3-4 weeks the merchant no longer charges a credit card fee or they lose their ability to accept credit cards.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Typically, within 3-4 weeks the merchant no longer charges a credit card fee or they lose their ability to accept credit cards.

A business can easily change the wording to "Cash Discount" to avoid any problems with the credit card company. I see this done often at gun shops, its normally a 3% discount.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, and they are also normal and every day transactions that do not require one to carry large sums. You're not going to be able to claim those sorts of things as a business transaction just because you happen to own a business.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    huesmann said:
    Yes, and they are also normal and every day transactions that do not require one to carry large sums. You're not going to be able to claim those sorts of things as a business transaction just because you happen to own a business.

What's this hang up with large sums? I went through the interview process I spoke with the trooper the bottom line is you don't need large sums of cash in order to qualify.

Any transaction that I need to engage in as the owner is a business transaction.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    CypherPunk said:

I've never actually seen a credit card charge fee, they just flat out refused to charge for anything under a certain amount.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I think that after it is established that you the business owner with the MSP, you should have the right to carry 24/7 because how does the bad guy know when you're carrying your business money. If your the business owner you could have the money on you any time.

So is the ccw for the protection of the person or the money? The MSP grants the ccw to business owners because as the business owner they say you have G&S as being in more danger then the average person because of the money they carry. But who knows when that is other than the business owner themselves?

Armored Car employees carry no matter if they have money in the truck or not because they are in danger just because they drive the truck.

In contrast off duty police as well as retired police carry because they are in danger because of what they do or did. The bad guy doesn't say, "well there off duty so I will leave them alone.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Merlin said:
    I think that after it is established that you the business owner with the MSP, you should have the right to carry 24/7 because how does the bad guy know when you're carrying your business money. If your the business owner you could have the money on you any time.

So is the ccw for the protection of the person or the money? The MSP grants the ccw to business owners because as the business owner they say you have G&S as being in more danger then the average person because of the money they carry. But who knows when that is other than the business owner themselves?

Armored Car employees carry no matter if they have money in the truck or not because they are in danger just because they drive the truck.

In contrast off duty police as well as retired police carry because they are in danger because of what they do or did. The bad guy doesn't say, "well there off duty so I will leave them alone.

I agree but this is Maryland and they like to control everything. However, with the addition of 'or while carrying business currency as the owner ' in the restriction it kind of does give you the 24/7

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"

I asked a higher up at MSP about a criminal observing me make a large bank deposit one day & the next day I am walking from my business to anywhere without cash (& a MD reason) to carry what's saying that the criminal won't attack me then? The response, (paraphrased)...if you don't have a reason to carry on that day & you use your firearm, you will be in trouble.

WTF???

THANKS DUMBO-CRATS!!

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I agree but this is Maryland and they like to control everything. However, with the addition of 'or while carrying business currency as the owner ' in the restriction it kind of does give you the 24/7

But I think that will really come into play all depending on the LEO that may show up if you run into any issues at all. One LEO will not care less, another LEO will want to see documentation proving your on your way to of from the bank.

It's just like anything else. Some of these guys will lock up their own mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom